Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

ON TV THIS MORNING - 'WANTED DOWN UNDER'

ON TV THIS MORNING - 'WANTED DOWN UNDER'

Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ON TV THIS MORNING - 'WANTED DOWN UNDER'

Originally Posted by jleroux
No offence taken, spoke to Yotty on pm.

I'm in the same boat, love the salary and 'less' money worries but miss the sunlight and warmth that I had in South Africa. It was made even worse when I went to SA in December when it's beginning to mid summer there. Scotland is a beautiful country and I love it in summertime, winter time gets me down though.
I know....isn't awful! But I suppose if it had good weather everyone would live here and it would not be the place it is...... I suppose every cloud (and there are many in Scotland!!!) has a silver lining!
Old Feb 5th 2008, 12:52 pm
Bouncer For Mothercare

wimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of light

Been ages since anyone has visited New Zealand, dyiing to see an episode set in Wellington
Old Feb 5th 2008, 3:24 pm
kamburu pat

kamburu pat will become famous soon enoughkamburu pat will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by wimpy
Been ages since anyone has visited New Zealand, dyiing to see an episode set in Wellington
Wimpy,
I was hoping so too! The current episodes are now repeats so they will all be from Australia, as usual NZ had less programmes than Australia. I think I`m correct in that this year was the first time the show went to NZ, last week we had "Wanted Down Under Revisited" all from Aus.
Pat.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

jleroux will become famous soon enoughjleroux will become famous soon enough

PM me and I will send you a link to any season 2 episode to download. Just tell me which ones you want.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 9:06 pm
kamburu pat

kamburu pat will become famous soon enoughkamburu pat will become famous soon enough

PM me and I will send you a link to any season 2 episode to download. Just tell me which ones you want.
Not sure what you are saying, as I told Wimpy the programmes being shown currently are repeats. I`ve seen all the programmes in this series and there wasn`t one from Wellington.
Pat.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

jleroux will become famous soon enoughjleroux will become famous soon enough

It wasn't for you specificly. It was for everyone that would like to see season 2 or the revisits.
Old May 30th 2008, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

LoobyHighland has a brilliant futureLoobyHighland has a brilliant futureLoobyHighland has a brilliant futureLoobyHighland has a brilliant futureLoobyHighland has a brilliant futureLoobyHighland has a brilliant future
Smile Any NZ wanted down under families out there.....??

Hiya, I'm looking for any families from the last Wanted Down Under series who went to NZ??? We're on series 3, going to New Plymouth, and it would be great to get some tips etc on what we're letting ourselves in for!!!

Currently we live in the Highlands, about 10 miles from John O'Groats (yes, there are life forms living that far up!). Hubbys just left the navy and got a new job, so lots of decisions ahead of us especially with the current credit issues worldwide. (And with four kids in tow!) But then that's what the programmes for, duh Lou! Heads bursting! All part of the process I suppose!!
Have friends near Wellington feeding us tons of info.

Noticed a lot of postings re people wanting to emigrate but their house sales being slow. We've just had 2nd set of buyers fall through due to their chains......so can totally sympathise. We're going balder by the minute!

Anyone wanting a house in Caithness <snip - no advertising . Please PM Looby for details>

Really enjoyed reading the messages on this link, and looking forward to making some new mates online. TTFN, Lou x

Last edited by BEVS; May 31st 2008 at 12:15 am. Reason: No advertising per rule 9. You can place an ad in classifieds.
Old May 30th 2008, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any NZ wanted down under families out there.....??

Originally Posted by LoobyHighland
Hiya, I'm looking for any families from the last Wanted Down Under series who went to NZ??? We're on series 3, going to New Plymouth, and it would be great to get some tips etc on what we're letting ourselves in for!!!

Currently we live in the Highlands, about 10 miles from John O'Groats (yes, there are life forms living that far up!). Hubbys just left the navy and got a new job, so lots of decisions ahead of us especially with the current credit issues worldwide. (And with four kids in tow!) But then that's what the programmes for, duh Lou! Heads bursting! All part of the process I suppose!!
Have friends near Wellington feeding us tons of info.

Noticed a lot of postings re people wanting to emigrate but their house sales being slow. We've just had 2nd set of buyers fall through due to their chains......so can totally sympathise. We're going balder by the minute!

Anyone wanting a house in Caithness just check out 'www.pollardmortgageshop.com' - we're 'Mount Pleasant' in Watten, 6 bedrooms @ £179K...... Desperate measures.......!

Really enjoyed reading the messages on this link, and looking forward to making some new mates online. TTFN, Lou x
How exciting!! Is hubbys new job in NZ? Sorry if I've read that wrong. And are you planning to work too? And how did you get on to the programme?
Good luck with the house selling, looking forward to hearing about your experience.
Old May 30th 2008, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

LoobyHighland has a brilliant futureLoobyHighland has a brilliant futureLoobyHighland has a brilliant futureLoobyHighland has a brilliant futureLoobyHighland has a brilliant futureLoobyHighland has a brilliant future
Smile Re: ON TV THIS MORNING - 'WANTED DOWN UNDER'

Hiya, good to hear from you. Hubs new job is here in Caithness, and that's whats going to make the decision to emigrate more difficult as good jobs are few and far between being so far north. It's a toss up of financial security 'v' new adventures in NZ.

It was such a surprise to get on the programme. Along with many others I'm sure, I watched it religiously back in January and it started to sow a restless seed of 'there must be more to life', ie NZ or AU. So, I sent an email through to the general BBC enquiries website and they forwarded it to the wanted down under department. Never heard a dickie bird for a couple of months and then an email came through with an application form. Filled it in and sent it straight back. Then, nothing for a few more weeks till a telephone call one teatime out of the blue. 40 minute chat with me and hubs. Was told if we got through to the next stage it would be a filmed interview. Got a call the very next day saying we'd made it to the next bit. Travelled down to Inverness and had a tv interview, took about an hour. Was asked pretty much the same questions as over the phone, why did we want to emigrate, people we were leaving behind, what did we want to do etc. It was explained that we were one of 60 families through to this stage (out of 5000 who'd applied!), and that only 20 would be picked (13 for AU and 7 for NZ). 10 days later we had a phone call to say we'd been picked!!! Still in total shock! Now it's a case of all systems go, tons of paperwork to get through, permission forms, lifestyle questions, driving consents etc etc. Good fun though as I love admin! (saddo!) We're off to New Plymouth in September. We asked for the Taranaki area as Dougs an engineer and this area has lots of onshore/offshore opportunities. They film us for a week and then we're holidaying/exploring for a week. Cos Dougs started a new job he may have to fly home after a week, but me and the kids are going to stay out for 14days.

Are you looking at emigrating at the moment??? I know they've closed the applications for series 3 (Jan '09), but there's no reason come the new year why you shouldn't apply for series 4. I'm sure due to the popularity of the programme it'll keep going for a while yet.

Sorry I've rambled, it's good to get it all out and chat!! My friends and family are sick of me going on, so I'm trying to be quiet at home now! (am bursting inside!)

You find yourself constantly trying to find reasons to stay or go. Its a permanent merry-go-round! Lou xx
Old May 30th 2008, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, you were so lucky to get through. I missed most of the programmes - always seemed to be on days I was working. We are looking to emigrate but have major problem of getting permission from my ex for 2 kids to go too. Was accepted in 1995 but never went through with it for one reason or another - at least I wasn't stuck over there with my ex!!
Do you know when the programme will be aired? You must keep us all updated. Good luck
Old May 30th 2008, 11:07 pm
aka Mandie.H

11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light

How old are your children...if you don't mind me asking?

just off out but will reply properly later
Old May 31st 2008, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by 11ThousandMilesFromHome
How old are your children...if you don't mind me asking?

just off out but will reply properly later
Daughter 11 son 9, both want to go and live near their Kiwi cousins, none of their age here or within a couple 100 miles!! Youngest cousin here is 20.
Old May 31st 2008, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

nic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to all

It wasn't for you specificly. It was for everyone that would like to see season 2 or the revisits.
Hi could you send me the link for the ones that feature NZ please, might manage to sit OH in front of TV, trying to put a book in his hand is a nightmare!

Thanks nicola
Old Jun 1st 2008, 9:11 am
aka Mandie.H

11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Any NZ wanted down under families out there.....??

Originally Posted by LoobyHighland

TTFN, Lou x
Hi we were on the last series which went out jan 08 and may be on the revisited for the jan 09 series.

all i can say is 'you sell yourself to the devil and editing doesn't tell the whole story'

but

it got us out here and if i had to do it again i would as i don't think i would have got my husband to say yes without it.

my children found the cameraman to be full-on but the sound tech was lovely and a great laugh

have fun and go with the flow...although the film from family and friends is hard it's part of the show and they love it when you get upset or if there's tension between the family...and by god won't they harp on about it

take care
Old Jun 6th 2008, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

Ta for the 'heads up'. We've thought of the possible downfalls of doing this (especially as we live in a tiny community - with lots of opinions!), but feel the highs will outweigh the lows, hopefully! Our heads really are 50/50 so we're desperate to get out to NZ and have a good butchers at everything! One of the main areas I need to explore is the education system, as this will probably make or break our decision, alongside finances.
TTFN, Lou x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.