British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Tv (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/tv-877275/)

inkedneonurse May 10th 2016 1:13 pm

Tv

Trying to keep my start up costs down can I bring TVs over from the uk will they work?

LittleGreyCat May 10th 2016 2:54 pm

Re: Tv

Quick glance on t'Internet says that you can get a Set Top Box (STB) so you can use your TV as a display (just like with a DVD player or Sky box) even if it can't decode the Freeview signal.

So, yes but you may have to buy an STB.

inkedneonurse May 10th 2016 2:58 pm

Cheers would most likely go on sky anyway wouldn't want to miss game of thrones lol

escapedtonz May 10th 2016 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by inkedneonurse (Post 11944327)
Trying to keep my start up costs down can I bring TVs over from the uk will they work?

Yes your UK TV will work but any built in Freeview won't.
We're still using our UK purchased LCD TV's here with two connected to NZ Sky TV and the other just to a DVD player for the boy in his room.
TV's aren't that expensive here in all honesty, so with hindsight I'd question whether there's any point bringing a UK TV.

Justcol May 10th 2016 5:35 pm

It will work exactly the same ad it does in the uk as long as its digital
Arial. Free view, sky, the voice is yours

Tom H May 11th 2016 6:40 am

Originally Posted by inkedneonurse (Post 11944412)
Cheers would most likely go on sky anyway wouldn't want to miss game of thrones lol

Don't bother wasting your money by getting sky.

You wouldn't get game of thrones anyway with a sky package. You'd to pay an extra $10 a month for one channel. And that may only show it once every 24 months.

inkedneonurse May 11th 2016 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Tom H (Post 11944970)

You wouldn't get game of thrones anyway with a sky package. You'd to pay an extra $10 a month for one channel. And that may only show it once every 24 months.

Glad to see sky stick it in wherever you live. We just have now to and Netflix here nearly £90 cheaper than our sky package was

Hazelnut May 11th 2016 7:30 am

GoT DVD packages for each series aren't too bad to buy and much cheaper than a Sky subscription. It's how I manage it in the UK ;)

inkedneonurse May 11th 2016 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Hazelnut (Post 11944993)
GoT DVD packages for each series aren't too bad to buy and much cheaper than a Sky subscription. It's how I manage it in the UK ;)

A good point

inkedneonurse May 11th 2016 7:56 am

So sky no good what's the best thing to get then?

barnsleymat May 11th 2016 8:06 am

If it's a smart tv just sign up to a SmartDNS service and you'll get all the UK catchup services on it. You'll find TV here pretty poor, loads of ads and not much on.

mickey_d May 11th 2016 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Tom H (Post 11944970)

The whole lot is available "On demand" on Sky.

barnsleymat May 11th 2016 11:29 am

Whatever you do don't get Sky, it's a bigger rip off than Sky UK, the only thing you'll be doing paying for Sky NZ is subsidising empty Rugby stadiums. There's been an article this week about how their subscribers have fallen dramatically over the last months, Kiwi's are finally seeing how they're being taken for a ride just to fund Super Rugby.

There's plenty of other ways to watch whatever you want that doesn't include paying through the nose and being bombarded with adverts every 4 minutes.

Justcol May 11th 2016 8:46 pm

Game of thrones

have never watched a single episode
have I missed much ??

inkedneonurse May 11th 2016 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 11945606)
Game of thrones

have never watched a single episode
have I missed much ??

Boobs,incest,big swords,battles,boobs,Peter Dinklage, did I mention boobs? That's just the first episode