TV

Old Jun 14th 2013, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

qssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really nice
Default TV

Hi
We have been told by some that we will not be able to us our TV in NZ when we move. Others have said that we can use it but need to get it modified because the sound will not work and some have even said dont bother taking it. We have a modern TV purchased in 2012. Does anyone have the answer ?
Thanks
Old Jun 14th 2013, 6:41 pm
Account Closed

DandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TV

We bought our tv over in 2011, after buying it 2009, works a treat, no problems. We have made the big switch (again) to free-view, all very painless for us. Personally i would bring it over.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Whether it will 'work' or not depends on how you intend to receive the TV signal into your house.

If the TV set will be plugged into a NZ TV Aerial then I think the UK TV set will have issues decoding the signal.

If the TV set will be plugged into a Sky box or a freeview box then there shouldn't be any troubles with that.

You might as well bring it anyway I would have thought. It could always be plugged into a DVD player to use in your games room, your rumpus room or your second lounge, if nothing else.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 8:33 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Terrestrial TV is being turned off around the country so you will need Freeview or Sky. Inbuilt UK Freeview won't work here, but you can get a box for that (or Sky) to plug into the set (as already said above).
Old Jun 14th 2013, 10:09 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

change the plug, get Sky off you go.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jmh View Post
Terrestrial TV is being turned off around the country so you will need Freeview or Sky. Inbuilt UK Freeview won't work here, but you can get a box for that (or Sky) to plug into the set (as already said above).
First of all what type of TV is it?

If the TV is not going to be freeview compliant then why would you bring it? You would then have to spend a further $100-$200 on a new separate freeview box?

If you buy a new TV here it will include the built in freeview digital. You just hook it up to a UHF aerial, and you have high definition digital TV.

So unless you have a really flash TV, and you sure you going to be using SKY TV (about $80per month), I would not bother.

We dont bother with Sky anymore as we found we were watching most of the stuff on Freeview anyway. Its a bit of a pain now and again not to have sport, but it was still not worth the $80 per month.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 3:44 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwibok View Post

If the TV is not going to be freeview compliant then why would you bring it? You would then have to spend a further $100-$200 on a new separate freeview box?

If you buy a new TV here it will include the built in freeview digital. You just hook it up to a UHF aerial, and you have high definition digital TV.

So unless you have a really flash TV, and you sure you going to be using SKY TV (about $80per month), I would not bother.

We dont bother with Sky anymore as we found we were watching most of the stuff on Freeview anyway. Its a bit of a pain now and again not to have sport, but it was still not worth the $80 per month.

I agree with you - I didn't bring my TV over - couldn't see the point as it was nothing flash. You can get good deals here if you check out the sales.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwibok View Post

On the other hand, our NZ-bought TV has freeview built in that I never ever use. We have sky because I can't stand adverts and like to watch what I want to awatch, when I want to watch it. I can't imagine watching live TV the whole time. So, my TV's 4 HDMI sockets get all the action and the antenna connection gets none - so a UK TV would be just as good