British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   TV (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/tv-800137/)

qssue Jun 14th 2013 6:36 pm

TV

Hi
We have been told by some that we will not be able to us our TV in NZ when we move. Others have said that we can use it but need to get it modified because the sound will not work and some have even said dont bother taking it. We have a modern TV purchased in 2012. Does anyone have the answer ?
Thanks

DandJMay Jun 14th 2013 6:41 pm

Re: TV

We bought our tv over in 2011, after buying it 2009, works a treat, no problems. We have made the big switch (again) to free-view, all very painless for us. Personally i would bring it over.

Clappy Jun 14th 2013 8:13 pm

Whether it will 'work' or not depends on how you intend to receive the TV signal into your house.

If the TV set will be plugged into a NZ TV Aerial then I think the UK TV set will have issues decoding the signal.

If the TV set will be plugged into a Sky box or a freeview box then there shouldn't be any troubles with that.

You might as well bring it anyway I would have thought. It could always be plugged into a DVD player to use in your games room, your rumpus room or your second lounge, if nothing else.

jmh Jun 14th 2013 8:33 pm

Terrestrial TV is being turned off around the country so you will need Freeview or Sky. Inbuilt UK Freeview won't work here, but you can get a box for that (or Sky) to plug into the set (as already said above;)).

MrsFychan Jun 14th 2013 10:09 pm

change the plug, get Sky off you go.

kiwibok Jun 16th 2013 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by jmh (Post 10757401)
Terrestrial TV is being turned off around the country so you will need Freeview or Sky. Inbuilt UK Freeview won't work here, but you can get a box for that (or Sky) to plug into the set (as already said above;)).

First of all what type of TV is it?

If the TV is not going to be freeview compliant then why would you bring it? You would then have to spend a further $100-$200 on a new separate freeview box?

If you buy a new TV here it will include the built in freeview digital. You just hook it up to a UHF aerial, and you have high definition digital TV.

So unless you have a really flash TV, and you sure you going to be using SKY TV (about $80per month), I would not bother.

We dont bother with Sky anymore as we found we were watching most of the stuff on Freeview anyway. Its a bit of a pain now and again not to have sport, but it was still not worth the $80 per month.

jmh Jun 17th 2013 3:44 am

Originally Posted by kiwibok (Post 10759986)

If the TV is not going to be freeview compliant then why would you bring it? You would then have to spend a further $100-$200 on a new separate freeview box?

If you buy a new TV here it will include the built in freeview digital. You just hook it up to a UHF aerial, and you have high definition digital TV.

So unless you have a really flash TV, and you sure you going to be using SKY TV (about $80per month), I would not bother.

We dont bother with Sky anymore as we found we were watching most of the stuff on Freeview anyway. Its a bit of a pain now and again not to have sport, but it was still not worth the $80 per month.

I agree with you - I didn't bring my TV over - couldn't see the point as it was nothing flash. You can get good deals here if you check out the sales.

lapsed kiwi Jun 17th 2013 6:39 am

Originally Posted by kiwibok (Post 10759986)

On the other hand, our NZ-bought TV has freeview built in that I never ever use. We have sky because I can't stand adverts and like to watch what I want to awatch, when I want to watch it. I can't imagine watching live TV the whole time. So, my TV's 4 HDMI sockets get all the action and the antenna connection gets none - so a UK TV would be just as good