British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Turn up and go?????? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/turn-up-go-393951/)

jempee Aug 31st 2006 5:46 pm

Turn up and go??????

turn up and go?????????

Hi just asking out of curiosity really. Can you just turn up in New Zealand buy a camper van, drive around until you find somewhere you want to stay. Then buy somewhere, get a job and put the kids into school????

ONly asking as we are emigrating to Canada (in 2 weeks yipeeeeee) and have spoken to a family that live quite close to me who told me they are going to do the above.

They have sold up lock, stock and barrel and will be moving in roughly 2 weeks themselves. I asked them about paperwork etc saying i had done quite a bit of form filling, medicals and forked out a fair bit of money, but now we have permanent residency. She said no we are just going have done no paperwork!

theguitardoctor Aug 31st 2006 5:54 pm

Re: Turn up and go??????

Originally Posted by jempee
turn up and go?????????

Hi just asking out of curiosity really. Can you just turn up in New Zealand buy a camper van, drive around until you find somewhere you want to stay. Then buy somewhere, get a job and put the kids into school????

ONly asking as we are emigrating to Canada (in 2 weeks yipeeeeee) and have spoken to a family that live quite close to me who told me they are going to do the above.

They have sold up lock, stock and barrel and will be moving in roughly 2 weeks themselves. I asked them about paperwork etc saying i had done quite a bit of form filling, medicals and forked out a fair bit of money, but now we have permanent residency. She said no we are just going have done no paperwork!

In principle it's just possible, but to get a Work Visa, you'd still need to get the points level at that time, or you'd be shipped back / your hol visa would expire and you'd be illegally in NZ. Basically you can tour NZ for 6 months on a UK/USA/Canadian passport as I remember ...you can also buy a house (pretty much anywhere in the world, but it still doesn't mean you can live in it permanently)

.... you couldn't put the kids in school til you'd got the Work Visa though !

You'd need a very helpful employer to give you a job on a holiday visa, then convert to a work visa through NZIS, but you'd still need some good education (with certs / degree / diploma), age on your side, good health, police checked background etc. No doubt you would get a temp work visa with the above on your side, but as I said, you'd need a helpful employer, and most jobs state NZ citizen or NZ work visa only need apply.

jempee Aug 31st 2006 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by theguitardoctor
In principle it's just possible, but to get a Work Visa, you'd still need to get the points level at that time, or you'd be shipped back / your hol visa would expire and you'd be illegally in NZ. Basically you can tour NZ for 6 months on a UK/USA/Canadian passport as I remember ...you can also buy a house (pretty much anywhere in the world, but it still doesn't mean you can live in it permanently)

.... you couldn't put the kids in school til you'd got the Work Visa though !

You'd need a very helpful employer to give you a job on a holiday visa, then convert to a work visa through NZIS, but you'd still need some good education (with certs / degree / diploma), age on your side, good health, police checked background etc. No doubt you would get a temp work visa with the above on your side, but as I said, you'd need a helpful employer, and most jobs state NZ citizen or NZ work visa only need apply.

Nope they have no visa what so ever they are 'just going over there to live' is what she told me. I thought it was a bit optimistic that you could just turn up and be allowed to stay. :rolleyes:

karonious Aug 31st 2006 8:00 pm

Nope they have no visa what so ever they are 'just going over there to live' is what she told me. I thought it was a bit optimistic that you could just turn up and be allowed to stay. :rolleyes:

That would make it as easy as getting in to the UK!

theguitardoctor Aug 31st 2006 8:05 pm

Ha...we'd all do that....I have to wait 18 months to get back over :( . Another thing...if you are illegally in the country and they remove you, then chances of getting back are slim to none......so if they fall in love with it, they'll blow there future chances. Nothing stopping them going for 6 months to check it out (I did that), and then deciding which part of NZ they want to eventually live in....

JAJ Aug 31st 2006 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by karonious
That would make it as easy as getting in to the UK!

Which isn't easy at all.

jempee Sep 1st 2006 7:00 am

Originally Posted by theguitardoctor
Ha...we'd all do that....I have to wait 18 months to get back over :( . Another thing...if you are illegally in the country and they remove you, then chances of getting back are slim to none......so if they fall in love with it, they'll blow there future chances. Nothing stopping them going for 6 months to check it out (I did that), and then deciding which part of NZ they want to eventually live in....

So they go for 6 months and then they can apply from inside NZ to stay but they would have to have enough points and meet certain critera like canada. But their kids wont be able to go to school and they cant work. They are also taking a dog with them.......forgot to ask if they have paperwork for that......... :)

Will try and let it slip in a conversation that i think they may be termed illegal wiht no paperwork and see how that goes down.

theguitardoctor Sep 1st 2006 8:27 pm

So they go for 6 months and then they can apply from inside NZ to stay but they would have to have enough points and meet certain critera like canada. But their kids wont be able to go to school and they cant work. They are also taking a dog with them.......forgot to ask if they have paperwork for that......... :)

Will try and let it slip in a conversation that i think they may be termed illegal wiht no paperwork and see how that goes down.

Not necessarily...they may well have to leave the country to apply as the paperwork can often take 6 months +, so effectively they would become illegally in the country as soon as the 6 month mark is passed. I'd be surprised if they would get employment on holiday visa's, but there's a slim chance. They won't be able to put kids in school without more than a holiday temp visa stamp. Either way, it's far better to get the paperwork in order prior to going. They won't have a problem taking the dog as far as I know, but may need rabies shots to get back into Canada (or face expensive quarantine) if they don't.