Tsunami Warning

Old Feb 27th 2010, 9:29 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tsunami Warning

I had 2 text messages from friends, but had turned my phone off as it's a work phone! Awoken by helicopter again! But it's not on the news that I can find. Seems to have been down scaled again.

Only glad it was yesterday we went boogie boarding and not planned for today!

Those poor people in Chile though.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 9:30 pm
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

They cancelled the Cathay Pacific Half Marathon this morning...

Got up early for N O T H I N G

Beautiful day though!
Old Feb 27th 2010, 10:21 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by pricklykina
National radio has been running a constant commentary all morning
With good advice and up to the minute info
Yes it has. We've kept tuned in.

We also, hopefully, helped spread the word as word reached us. Through this we also know that Nelson and Tasman civil defence are onto it and have been monitoring since the early hours.

Tasman has less risk than many areas of coastal NZ but we will not be going to the beach nor visiting our wharf until the alert is finished . It's the least we can do.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LukeandJo
Which radio station?
Radio NZ National - it's their equivalent of UK Radio 4.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Radio NZ National - it's their equivalent of UK Radio 4.
I'm surprised they don't have an alert flag come up on all the sky channels, would be an easy way of spreading the word.
That was done in the UK when Princess Di was killed, so I would have thought they would be able to do a similar thing here for any emergency situation.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 11:25 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickey_d
I'm surprised they don't have an alert flag come up on all the sky channels, would be an easy way of spreading the word.
That was done in the UK when Princess Di was killed, so I would have thought they would be able to do a similar thing here for any emergency situation.
A woman gets mangled in a car crash and this deserves a Sky News Alert Flag ... my life ... what is the appropriate public reponse to this ... "Di Dead - Don't Hit Tunnel Walls People!"
Old Feb 27th 2010, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
A woman gets mangled in a car crash and this deserves a Sky News Alert Flag ... my life ... what is the appropriate public reponse to this ... "Di Dead - Don't Hit Tunnel Walls People!"
Stupid response to a serious suggestion.......
Old Feb 27th 2010, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

JasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to allJasonSouthYorks is a name known to all

I will defend the Civil Defence on the Kapiti Coast by adding that there were people working and monitering the situation throughout the night. The risk was very, very low and hence the reason why many people may not have been aware of it. What is the point of alarming people unnecessarily?

The maximum height the wave was going to be was one metre. (I've kayaked on higher waves than that!). And there is also a piece of rock sticking out of the Tasman which will surely stop a one metre wave....It's called Kapiti Island!!

If there was anything to worry about you would have been told about it.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 12:01 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Stupid response to a serious suggestion.......
Quite right, well corrected. I shall monitor your posts for more ways I can live my life better
Old Feb 28th 2010, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Quite right, well corrected. I shall monitor your posts for more ways I can live my life better
Old Feb 28th 2010, 12:06 am
Mostly Harmless

I'm only in a (more) cranky mood 'cos I've got a post AC/DC hangover ... this tsunami thing is playing havoc with traffic here, the roads are clogged with combi vans and blonde dude going mental ... surf's up!
Old Feb 28th 2010, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Well having kayaked out & camped out at Motutapu last night from Bucklands Beach, was certainly more than a tad concerned packing up this morning when advised by the local doc guy that there was a tsunami alert. He mentioned 11am and possible 3 metre waves!

So I canned my intended extended route and headed straight back hoping to get back but at least reach Browns Island for then. Wave conditions weren't favourable so stopped off at Browns Island, dragged the kayak to higher ground and went to the highest point to observe things.

I noticed boats (including a massive cruise liner, some ferries and loads of yachts) had assembled as a big flotilla off the Waitamata. The time passed with no noticeable waves & the floatilla began to disperse, so I headed back to the beach to my kayak and the rest of trip back to Bucklands Beach.

Incidentally returning I did notice a rush of small but quicker waves in an opposite direction to the general flow as I was heading back. They did overflow the deck, if these had been any bigger, certainly 1 metre it would have been very concerning.

Even though it was a non-event (tsunami scale), certainly heads up to the doc guy for passing on the news. Very organised considering it's a only a basic site with toilets and water.

The earthquake itself in Chile though was far from a non event, a massive earthquake, and had tragic consequences. My thoughts to those directly effected, killed, lost relatves, made homeless...
Old Mar 1st 2010, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

The height they mention has little to do with it. It's the unpredictability of the waves, which during a tsunami can disappear and then come rushing in without warning in a much shorter space of time than usual. There wasn't a huge panic, but civil defence did the right thing in erring on the side of caution.

My son has just been down to the bay to swim and says it's still a bit scary and unpredictable down there, with much bigger tide lines than usual and freak waves. Even in a big storm that was not called a tsunami, I've seen kids suddenly bowled up the beach by freak waves.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

There are exceptionally high tides today and the next few days due to the equinox - don't confuse that with Tsunami effects
Old Mar 1st 2010, 12:36 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
There are exceptionally high tides today and the next few days due to the equinox - don't confuse that with Tsunami effects
That was a big concern in Australia too, because the tsunami was due to hit at nearly the same time as a very high tide, the effects could have been much worse.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.