British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Tsunami warning (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/tsunami-warning-633185/)

K9s Sep 29th 2009 6:44 pm

Tsunami warning

Sky news are saying a Tsunami warning has been issued for NZ after a 7.9 magnatude earthquake hit 120 miles off the coast

Hope everyone is well

be safe

K9

zummerzet_lou Sep 29th 2009 6:49 pm

Re: Tsunami warning

hmmmm .. news to me!

Cadibel Sep 29th 2009 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by K9s (Post 7975441)
Sky news are saying a Tsunami warning has been issued for NZ after a 7.9 magnatude earthquake hit 120 miles off the coast

Hope everyone is well

be safe

K9

Wasn't this on the 15th July?:confused:

TeamEmbo Sep 29th 2009 6:57 pm

Nope, Tues 29 Sept 02:49. As its now nearly 8am Weds 30 Sept I am assuming no tsunami heading this way :blink:

K9s Sep 29th 2009 7:14 pm

I know the pace of life (some would say the people ) is slow in NZ but it seems we hear about earthquakes in nz before you do:D

I have just googled the news just incase my tv is in a time warp from months ago and all the nz news channels are reporting it

I am watching Fox news and they are saying that scientists are trying to decide which way the tsunami is heading and they are now saying it is 8.3 which is the 50th highest earthquake in history

I was worried about friends and family but from the remarks on here it seems no one is under water

K9s

TeamEmbo Sep 29th 2009 7:21 pm

It's a good job you're on the ball! Hadn't heard anything till you posted. I looked on NZ geonet when I saw your post but no reports on there so I googled and found Sky news report from early hours Tuesday.

I'll go look again and see if I need panic yet :eek:

K9s Sep 29th 2009 7:28 pm

On Fox news they are saying there is a Tsunami 3 to 4 m tall and it could hit Auckland in 90 minutes and that NZ has employed all its Tsunami defences

K9s

I do not want to sound alarmist I am only repeating what Fox news are reporting

Astraman Sep 29th 2009 8:09 pm

Best get me Gumboots out then :D There are some advantages to living on the top of a hill then.

K9s Sep 29th 2009 8:12 pm

Fox news are reporting deaths in samoa............not known how many

K9

terrier2 Sep 29th 2009 8:27 pm

This is serious, it will be 1.5m high and it will hit the east coast of Auckland at 11.12am so it shouldnt be too bad but it is going to happen

lardyl Sep 29th 2009 8:48 pm

Was hoping to stand on the cliff and watch but I have an appointment on the Shore at 10.45 - would have been worth a squiz.......

Best wishes to those on Great Barrier, Waiheke, etc and all in low lying areas. :fingerscrossed:

Kija Sep 29th 2009 8:54 pm

My thoughts are with everyone in its path :fingerscrossed:

zummerzet_lou Sep 29th 2009 8:59 pm

I take it back .. it is real, and is being reported on the news!

Husband went to local playgroup at beach settlement, only to find it's all vacated! Waves are expected to be 1m high, which doesn't sound much, but it's more to do with the power behind the wave,

All a bit scary really ...
Lou

luvwelly Sep 29th 2009 9:03 pm

Whole NZ coast is on advisory alert..OH is evacuating his office...Wellington poss timing 10.50am...wave expected to be lowish. Glad my house is high up.

Stoof Sep 29th 2009 9:22 pm

Auckland due 11.20 latest... wave expected to be 1 metre, harbour evacuated, but coincides with low tide so no expectation of great problems... fingers crossed for everyone