Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Trying to get to Tauranga....advice appreciated

Trying to get to Tauranga....advice appreciated

Old Jun 17th 2008, 8:51 am
  #16  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 12
vernog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Trying to get to Tauranga....advice appreciated

Can I ask, to all those that have made the move - did you all find work quite quickly and how is the cost of living working out?

The UK is now expensive for everything!
vernog is offline  
Old Jun 18th 2008, 11:17 am
  #17  
 
Am Loolah's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,208
Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Trying to get to Tauranga....advice appreciated

Originally Posted by vernog View Post
Can I ask, to all those that have made the move - did you all find work quite quickly and how is the cost of living working out?

The UK is now expensive for everything!
Yes, I spoke to my Dad yesterday who is in the UK and he reckons everything is really expensive there too. But, it's not a lot different here to be honest. Fuel is currently $2:10-$2.12 a litre, dairy products are pretty high, a 1kg slab of cheese $18?! Rents vary, very roughly here in the Mount/Papamoa $250-$280/week 2 beds, $320-$370/week 3 beds and upwards. I don't think utilities are too bad, but then it's getting used to being billed monthly instead of quarterly.

Oh, I just found a shopping list from last week, some examples;

2L milk - $3:06
"Tasty" cheese, 900g - $15:29
Toilet Paper (12) - $4:79
Beef Mince - $11:95
Cucumber - $4:49

I can't be bothered to type it all, but if you buy in season stuff you'll save heaps!
Am Loolah is offline  
Old Jun 18th 2008, 11:37 am
  #18  
Forum Regular
 
Liz & Co's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: On the Beach - Mount Maunganui
Posts: 239
Liz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud of
Default Re: Trying to get to Tauranga....advice appreciated

Originally Posted by Am Loolah View Post
Yes, I spoke to my Dad yesterday who is in the UK and he reckons everything is really expensive there too. But, it's not a lot different here to be honest. Fuel is currently $2:10-$2.12 a litre, dairy products are pretty high, a 1kg slab of cheese $18?! Rents vary, very roughly here in the Mount/Papamoa $250-$280/week 2 beds, $320-$370/week 3 beds and upwards. I don't think utilities are too bad, but then it's getting used to being billed monthly instead of quarterly.

Oh, I just found a shopping list from last week, some examples;

2L milk - $3:06
"Tasty" cheese, 900g - $15:29
Toilet Paper (12) - $4:79
Beef Mince - $11:95
Cucumber - $4:49

I can't be bothered to type it all, but if you buy in season stuff you'll save heaps!
Remind me not to come to your house for tea, if you intend using that list to concoct a meal!
Liz & Co is offline  
Old Jun 18th 2008, 12:10 pm
  #19  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 12
vernog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Trying to get to Tauranga....advice appreciated

Thanks Am Loolah.

It seems shocking when you read it in dollars!

I suppose the option is there to grow your own as well, assuming the landlord doesn't mind a veggie patch!

It is difficult to establish what earnings would be until I can get a job!

Current thinking is we will have to borrow from the equity in the house, rent it out and come out expecting to work hard - but in the sunshine!!!
vernog is offline  
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 11:23 am
  #20  
 
Am Loolah's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,208
Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Trying to get to Tauranga....advice appreciated

Originally Posted by vernog View Post
Thanks Am Loolah.

It seems shocking when you read it in dollars!

I suppose the option is there to grow your own as well, assuming the landlord doesn't mind a veggie patch!

It is difficult to establish what earnings would be until I can get a job!

Current thinking is we will have to borrow from the equity in the house, rent it out and come out expecting to work hard - but in the sunshine!!!
It is difficult to establish your earning prior to having a salary agreed for sure, and as is happening across the world prices are on the increase it seems for everything.

Most gardens do allow for veggie patches, even the smallest sub-division sections, including ours. We have a passion fruit which we got 1 off! A lemon tree which we got 2 off! A huge rosemary bush and an awful lot of weeds. Both my mother and my MIL attempted weeding it when they were over but now it also has grass amongst the weeds.

After that nasty Liz & Co said she didn't want to come to tea (and tot hink I left off the cost of Tampax - just imagine her comments then ..) I've now found a slightly longer shopping list ...

Baked Beans $1.39
2kg washing powder - $7.69
2kg dishwasher powder - $8.49
Large tin of tomatoes - $1.29
900g Milo - $11.99
Cereal - $5.69
1l olive oil - $9.49
350ml Patene shampoo - $7.99
Colgate toothpaste - $6.31
2.4l orange juice - $7.99
Dog Chews - $9.59 (They're for Liz if she comes for supper.)
Stewing steak - $7.51
Minced beef - $9.93
1 X BIRTHDAY CARD - $5.99 !!!!!
4kg potatoes - $8.98
3 mixed peppers - $6.99

That wasn't my entire shopping list, but some that may help you get an idea ...
Am Loolah is offline  
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 12:49 pm
  #21  
lionheart
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: papamoa
Posts: 571
howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all
Default Re: Trying to get to Tauranga....advice appreciated

Originally Posted by Markk View Post
I wouldn't restrict yourselves to living in those areas. You can be from one side of Tauranga to the other in 20-30 minutes and you'll find traffic is nothing like you are used to. The exception would be Welcome Bay/Maungatapu which has a traffic problem in the rush 'hour' and I wouldn't commute between Papaomoa/Mt Maunganui and anywhere in Tauranga unless you work unusual hours in which case it would be feasible.
We live in Matua and I regularly go to Greerton...it's a breeze.
It's funny you should say that, Tony works either on Girvin Rd or Chadwick St (Greerton) and his boss recommended Papamoa and I must say he's had no problems at all commuting. Starts work at 0830 and finishes 1700 Monday to Friday.

Pauline
howden40 is offline  
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 12:56 pm
  #22  
lionheart
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: papamoa
Posts: 571
howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all
Default Re: Trying to get to Tauranga....advice appreciated

[QUOTE=vernog;6478057]Thanks Am Loolah.


I suppose the option is there to grow your own as well, assuming the landlord doesn't mind a veggie patch!

You can grow in tubs, see Liz & Co she must have in excess of 100 which she inherited. Have suggested a garage sale.

Pauline
howden40 is offline  
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 1:05 pm
  #23  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 12
vernog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Trying to get to Tauranga....advice appreciated

Thanks for the shopping list. I guess it is all relative!

Can't wait to get going now as we have had a cold, wet and windy weekend and this is meant to be summer!!!

Managed a quick walk between showers but would much rather be going round (not up - too exhausting!) the Mount!!

Did you all manage to find work ok?
vernog is offline  
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 1:25 pm
  #24  
 
Am Loolah's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,208
Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Trying to get to Tauranga....advice appreciated

Originally Posted by vernog View Post
Thanks for the shopping list. I guess it is all relative!

Can't wait to get going now as we have had a cold, wet and windy weekend and this is meant to be summer!!!

Managed a quick walk between showers but would much rather be going round (not up - too exhausting!) the Mount!!

Did you all manage to find work ok?
I fixed up a job from the UK, but my work amounts to nothing more than a bum on a seat for the company as we are on commission only. I actually didn't take that job, I moved to another company once I was here. That was easy.

Hubby doesn't work, is looking at a career job now, but not sure how that will pan out.

I know loads of people who have moved here and had no problem securing work once they are here. But I also know other people who have had no joy in the secretarial/admin vacancies - so who knows?

I know of 2 English families who have returned to the UK in under 7 months as things didn't pan out for them on the work/finances side ... it's been said before but I'll say it again ... research, research, research.
Am Loolah is offline  
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 7:43 am
  #25  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 12
vernog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Trying to get to Tauranga....advice appreciated

Am Loolah, how long have you been over there and how do you feel about it?
Does it live up to your expectations, what has been difficult to adjust to?
vernog is offline  
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 9:49 pm
  #26  
 
Am Loolah's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,208
Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Trying to get to Tauranga....advice appreciated

Originally Posted by vernog View Post
Am Loolah, how long have you been over there and how do you feel about it?
Does it live up to your expectations, what has been difficult to adjust to?
We have been here 14 months and have no horror stories to tell at all! I absolutely love living here, and felt like that as soon as we got here. I had huge expectations and all of them have been pretty much realised. Of course, day to day life is pretty much the same wherever you live I imagine. The kids still need to get up and go to school. We still need to get up and go to work (occasionally!) The housework still needs to get done, as does the shopping etc, etc, etc.

I feel we could and should be doing more to enjoy the surroundings and sometimes it's hard to try and fit it all in. But we certainly live more of an outside life. Even if it's only a walk on the beach or round (yes - not up) the Mount!

The kids definately have more of an outdoor life and more freedom. They are out all the time, especially over the lovely, hot summer holidays.

Am I still adjusting to anything? Hmmmm - there are still somethings that are "new" to me. Getting utilities bills monthly, instead of quarterly. Lack of choice in the shops a little - but nothing insurmountable. Having to go to the liquor store for spirits. Nothing huge!

No, I love it, all of it, since the beginning and still do!
Am Loolah is offline  
Old Jun 24th 2008, 6:12 pm
  #27  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 12
vernog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Trying to get to Tauranga....advice appreciated

Thanks Am Loolah, you have just diminshed any doubts we had!
We are sitting in the house at 6pm with the light on as it is dull and overcast and looks like rain!!! Bring it on!!!!

Hopefully we can be out before summer arrives.

We have not seen a proper winter through in NZ - what was it like in the BOP?
vernog is offline  
Old Jun 24th 2008, 11:07 pm
  #28  
BE Enthusiast
 
Ash1's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 440
Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trying to get to Tauranga....advice appreciated

Originally Posted by vernog View Post
Thanks Am Loolah, you have just diminshed any doubts we had!
We are sitting in the house at 6pm with the light on as it is dull and overcast and looks like rain!!! Bring it on!!!!

Hopefully we can be out before summer arrives.

We have not seen a proper winter through in NZ - what was it like in the BOP?

Hi,


The last couple of days have been cold and wet and last night was [email protected]@dy freezing. However, prior to that we had several weeks of gorgeous sunny days reaching anything from 15-20 degrees. Not bad for winter eh? I am a sun worshipper and this is our second winter here and we love it. If it gets really bad you always nip up to Raratonga or one of the other Pacific Islands for a sun "fix". Did I mention thayt thats where wep`re offp to in a couple of weeks !!!!!a!! Happy days.
Ash
Ash1 is offline  
Old Jun 25th 2008, 6:43 am
  #29  
Forum Regular
 
Liz & Co's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: On the Beach - Mount Maunganui
Posts: 239
Liz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud of
Default Re: Trying to get to Tauranga....advice appreciated

Originally Posted by Ash1 View Post
Hi,


The last couple of days have been cold and wet and last night was [email protected]@dy freezing. However, prior to that we had several weeks of gorgeous sunny days reaching anything from 15-20 degrees. Not bad for winter eh? I am a sun worshipper and this is our second winter here and we love it. If it gets really bad you always nip up to Raratonga or one of the other Pacific Islands for a sun "fix". Did I mention thayt thats where wep`re offp to in a couple of weeks !!!!!a!! Happy days.
Ash
I'm taking the boys to Fiji, again! We may see you at the airport.

Liz
Liz & Co is offline  
Old Jun 25th 2008, 12:50 pm
  #30  
 
Am Loolah's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,208
Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Trying to get to Tauranga....advice appreciated

Originally Posted by Liz & Co View Post
I'm taking the boys to Fiji, again! We may see you at the airport.

Liz
Don't worry about me, I'll keep the home fires burning ... singlehandedly.

No, really, you lot bugger off for some winter sun, I'll be just fine here. Running the country.....
Am Loolah is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.