Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Trying to change teaching jobs

Trying to change teaching jobs

Old Dec 10th 2013, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Trying to change teaching jobs

I am a teacher of 17 years. In the UK I never had trouble getting interviews, in fact I always got at least an interview for every job I applied for.

Here in NZ the job has not turned out to be as was 'sold' to me so I am trying to find another.

I have applied for over 30 and not had a single interview. I have tried a range of jobs equal to, lower and higher than my current one. I have even tried jobs that are education based but not in schools. I can't seem to get a single interview.

I have kiwi-fied my CV, I have had someone look at it. My employer knows how I feel and is 'supporting my decision to leave'. I have residency so my decision wont affect my visa.

How do I crack the job market?

Do teaching jobs only come up in Nov/ Dec? I don't remember seeing them much before now but is that normal? Am I stuck in my current post for another year?

Any advice appreciated before I completely crack up.

Last edited by M_and_M; Dec 10th 2013 at 4:06 am.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

HeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to all
Default Re: Trying to change teaching jobs

Hi M and M

Sorry to hear of your difficulties. My husband and I have both found that success in the job market is 'who you know, who you talk to or foot in the door'.

Are you in a position where you could do relief work next year? It's how I secured my full-time position last year. I've been offered an 0.2 release position for next year too after relieving for just a few weeks at my daughters' school (and my experience is far more limited that yours). I'm hoping it might lead to more....

Teaching jobs are certainly thin on the ground. I really hope you find a solution that works for you.

HeatherGirl
Old Dec 10th 2013, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

Trying to find a teaching job is a nightmare. Way too many applicants, one local school received over 300 applications for a recent teaching position
Old Dec 10th 2013, 6:45 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MOSO
Trying to find a teaching job is a nightmare. Way too many applicants, one local school received over 300 applications for a recent teaching position
bet it went to an internal applicant
Old Dec 10th 2013, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

Expect so. I have started to ask the question outright before I apply. Some will tell you, some won't, some wont even send you the application pack, and some say 'there's a person in the post fixed term I have no idea if they will apply'. Liars!
Old Dec 10th 2013, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Probably the worst profession to be in right now - teachers in jobs are clinging to them like life rafts. 300 applicants pr advertised job is correct. And hundreds of graduates being churned out from the universities ready for their first teaching roles, and hardly a hope of getting started, except for a few days relieving here and there.

Jobs do tend to be advertised in November, as schools get ready for the new year, but you'll find a trickle throughout the year. That's when things get really desperate!

As mentioned above, it is not what you know, but who you know - it seems like that is everything in NZ, and exceptionally so with teaching. Can you ask your current Head or DPs if they have connections with other schools that might have vacancies - even if it is LTR?
Old Dec 10th 2013, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

My head in my current school is keen to help me leave she reports, but in reality I'm not sure that's truly the case.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

Choccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

This is something that has really soured our time here. I was told at uni that they had an 85% success rate for graduates getting jobs.

Since graduating in 2010 I have had a handful of relieving days and a terms work which I had to do with double the amount of children I was originally told I would have, no mentor teacher or beginning teacher release and not a cent in budget. I was then dumped in favour of a "local" who popped in with a CV.

I also find that the management is shocking - people are told they have jobs for another year and then a note is popped in their pigeon hole saying otherwise and they are the last to know - unbelievable.

I wish you luck - it really is a nightmare.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 9:35 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Im totally with M and M and Choccie on this one. I often think that my 5 years at uni was a total waste of time.

On the upside I do love my Sunday evening shift at the homeless shelter. Im way overqualified but I love the work. Shame they couldnt give me any more shifts even though there are lots of spare shifts to give out.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 5:56 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

So. Does anyone have anything or any suggestion for M_and_M ?

They arrived, separately, against the odds & with such hope and it has been tough.

Does anyone have something that will actually help?
Old Dec 11th 2013, 6:03 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Have you thought about visiting the schools in person to hand out your CV, even if they haven't advertised? You could visit all the schools where you are prepared to travel to. If they see you first you may be remembered if something comes up.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 8:20 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Are you only looking round invercargill area???

Are there any teaching agencies down there that you could perhaps register with???

Sorry I can't be of much help
Old Dec 11th 2013, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

I tried that Pippa with all my applications thinking a person would be better than a I piece of paper, but it hasn't made any difference yet.

Mr M says sell up and move area but would that even make a difference?
Old Dec 11th 2013, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

IngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond repute

Is there tutoring in NZ, is that something you could or would do? Would there be enough to do to make it financially viable so you could do it as your own business?
Old Dec 11th 2013, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

Choccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond repute

Don't move to Christchurch whatever you do !!

I did some private tutoring and at one point had 6 pupils (most from the same class at the local school). I found it good but like relieving can't be relied upon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.