British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Trucking companies hiring UK drivers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/trucking-companies-hiring-uk-drivers-933225/)

davewelch88 Jun 15th 2020 5:51 pm

Trucking companies hiring UK drivers

Hi everyone,

I’m brand new to this forum and I am searching for information about becoming a truck driver in New Zealand!

I have all the correct licences and experience I’m just finding it difficult to find a potential employer.
I’m currently going down the route of Agri contractors, but as this is just seasonal work I’d be very grateful if anyone knows of anyone hiring full time.

Thanks a lot
Dave

Pulaski Jun 15th 2020 6:34 pm

Re: Trucking companies hiring UK drivers

So you have the licenses (HGV licenses recognized by NZ?) and experience, but don't you need a visa? Or are you already a NZ citizen?

davewelch88 Jun 15th 2020 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12867367)
So you have the licenses (HGV licenses recognized by NZ?) and experience, but don't you need a visa? Or are you already a NZ citizen?

Yes I have the required licences (UK equivalent) and plenty of experience I'm just finding it difficult to find a company that are recruiting drivers from overseas.
I know the right company is out there...just gotta find them!

I'm sadly not a NZ citizen (but maybe one day!)

jarv5116 Jun 15th 2020 10:35 pm

Go on the accredited employer list in NZ.
Find the Transport companies.
That would be your best starting place.
That's why they are accredited companies to employ foreigners
The licences are easy to convert. you just do a theory test and a medical at the docs.
They convert your class 1 to there class 5.
You may have problems getting residence now with the increase you need to meet the requirements.

BEVS Jun 15th 2020 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by jarv5116 (Post 12867470)
The licences are easy to convert. you just do a theory test and a medical at the docs.
You may have problems getting residence now with the increase you need to meet the requirements.

Good post.

Gypsy888 Jul 4th 2020 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by jarv5116 (Post 12867470)

Hi there, my husband is a New Zealander with a Class 5 (up to 50 tonnes, but they often go over :frown:) Heavy truck driver with DG and F endorsements and has been in the UK now for 6 months on a UK spouse visa. He has driven in NZ for 35 years. He is confused about the process here in the UK to convert his licence over. He doesn't want to give up his NZ licence (apparently you have to send it in to the DVLA) We lived in Nelson on the South Island and there are lots of orchards and vineyards needing seasonal drivers. Also in Marlborough (over the hill in Blenheim) Are you the same as my hubby in that you don't want to give up your UK licence? My hubby is rather protective over his :angry_smile: Where are you in NZ? I will ask him about good companies for you to work for :)