British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Truck Driver in NZ needs Help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/truck-driver-nz-needs-help-598043/)

angpaul Mar 17th 2009 7:00 am

Truck Driver in NZ needs Help

Hi All
Just wondering if anyone out here in NZ is in any position to help my friend (Tony) from Coventry to find a job as a truck driver.He is presently in NZ on a holiday visa leaving his family in Coventry with the intention of finding work and applying for a work visa to bring them over to join him.He is 43 with over 10 years driving experience (UK class 1 NZ HT 5 ) with forklift and hiab.He is in nelson but with the current situation there is no work here , Blenheim or Renwick.His agent ( immigration ) are also trying to find him work but to no avail.They have apparently phoned 30 companies in CHCH with no luck.He really wants to be on the coast (not Auckland) and and no further south than CHCH.I'm not looking for replies telling me to try this company or that company but really looking for people who know where there are genuine vacancies.your help will be greatly appreciated as he has been here 4 weeks now and is getting really despondent
Thanks
Paul

welshwales Mar 17th 2009 8:19 am

Re: Truck Driver in NZ needs Help

Truck driving jobs are hard to find now. I have been looking to change companies for a few months but there is nothing about. Tell him to try an agency just to get a foot in the door, and a bit of kiwi experience......It is different driving over here as we all know:eek:

luvwelly Mar 17th 2009 9:09 am

Originally Posted by welshwales (Post 7387610)
Truck driving jobs are hard to find now. I have been looking to change companies for a few months but there is nothing about. Tell him to try an agency just to get a foot in the door, and a bit of kiwi experience......It is different driving over here as we all know:eek:

Yeah the Kiwi roads are just sooooo busy.....:rofl:

Browner_ Mar 17th 2009 9:20 pm

Here one

http://www.seek.co.nz/users/apply/in...JobID=15026507

Usual problem though - "extensive knowledge of Wellington's roads required".

Browner_ Mar 17th 2009 9:22 pm

Look down this list

http://www.seek.co.nz/jobsearch/inde...archtype=again

They are desperate for Bus Drivers, thats for sure.
Pretty poor pay though, thats why

TurnersNZ Mar 17th 2009 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by Browner_ (Post 7390620)
Look down this list

http://www.seek.co.nz/jobsearch/inde...archtype=again

They are desperate for Bus Drivers, thats for sure.
Pretty poor pay though, thats why

Depends where you work and who you work for! School Bus runs and the City shuttle services are low pay aim for intercity or Tourist Charters and the wages are much higher.

In response to the first post though things have got much tougher in the Trucking Industry as this recession takes hold and its not really hit here yet. Your coming into a tighter job market into whats not really a skilled job and competing against a lot of returning Kiwis from overseas as well.

Realistically its a temporary job one thats prospects of becoming sufficant to secure PR is slipping further and further away.

If I had my own business in Road Haulage I would be hiring British Drivers because they can drive. Sadly in NZ the attitude is still you not got the experiance to drive on NZ roads and I still get that to.:frown:

BEVS Mar 18th 2009 12:12 am

Please note that the OP is looking for those that may be able to point him in the direction of actual vacancies seen for heavy goods drivers.

Originally Posted by angpaul
.....but really looking for people who know where there are genuine vacancies

welshwales Mar 18th 2009 7:54 am

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 7391189)
Please note that the OP is looking for those that may be able to point him in the direction of actual vacancies seen for heavy goods drivers.

SORRY DIDN'T REALISE THAT WE WERNT ALLOWED TO GIVE ADVICE OR DISCUSS ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE SET QUESTION ON THIS DISCUSSION FORUM:curse:

TeamEmbo Mar 18th 2009 8:51 am

Christchurch Bus Services Limited were advertising for bus drivers, Class 2 licence and a current P endorsement. They had full and part time for urban timetable routes, mornings and afternoon school runs and charter work with immediate start. Contact: Charlie McLay 03 359 0083 or the service supervisor on 027 441 1419. I know its not heavy goods but maybe worth a shot if nothing else available?

TurnersNZ Mar 18th 2009 10:08 am

Just a minor point to point out about Bus Driving Options.

if you're not a New Zealand citizen or don't hold a residence permit, you will need a work permit or some other temporary permit to show that you may work in New Zealand. To get a P endorsement, you must hold, and have held for at least two years, a full Class 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 New Zealand driver licence. (Holding an equivalent overseas licence will not meet this requirement.)

In other words you got to be here two years before you can drive a bus. UK passenger Licences do not count!

http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/factsheets/42.html

BEVS Mar 18th 2009 10:22 am

Originally Posted by welshwales (Post 7392185)
SORRY DIDN'T REALISE THAT WE WERNT ALLOWED TO GIVE ADVICE OR DISCUSS ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE SET QUESTION ON THIS DISCUSSION FORUM:curse:

No need for the upset or to shout. :confused:

The OP is after actually possible vacancies if they can be found. That's all.

tehori Mar 22nd 2009 10:21 am

Originally Posted by TurnersNZ (Post 7391031)
Depends where you work and who you work for! School Bus runs and the City shuttle services are low pay aim for intercity or Tourist Charters and the wages are much higher.

In response to the first post though things have got much tougher in the Trucking Industry as this recession takes hold and its not really hit here yet. Your coming into a tighter job market into whats not really a skilled job and competing against a lot of returning Kiwis from overseas as well.

Realistically its a temporary job one thats prospects of becoming sufficant to secure PR is slipping further and further away.

If I had my own business in Road Haulage I would be hiring British Drivers because they can drive. Sadly in NZ the attitude is still you not got the experiance to drive on NZ roads and I still get that to.:frown:

A rather silly statement to make.
Seeing how the average British driver has damn all experience on truck and trailer work when they arrive.
So, care to point out where British drivers are better, no cannot be maintaining the rig since I'm a truck mechanic with trade certs.
As a recently retired transport operator, a word of advice, telling a kiwi transport owner that you must be better than any of his drivers because you are British is not the way to get employment.

luvwelly Mar 23rd 2009 3:50 am

Originally Posted by tehori (Post 7406417)
A rather silly statement to make.
Seeing how the average British driver has damn all experience on truck and trailer work when they arrive.
So, care to point out where British drivers are better, no cannot be maintaining the rig since I'm a truck mechanic with trade certs.
As a recently retired transport operator, a word of advice, telling a kiwi transport owner that you must be better than any of his drivers because you are British is not the way to get employment.

He's not saying that, he's saying Brits with Heavy Goods Vehicle licences and UK experience of truck driving (not car driving) will have been in way worse traffic conditions than anything you find on Kiwi roads....there aren't even any proper motorways in NZ and the volume of traffic is tiny in comparison to UK. My own 6 weeks experience of driving a car round North and South island on holiday bears this out..I was never once even in a traffic jam....not even in Auckland. ;)

angpaul Mar 23rd 2009 4:18 am

Originally Posted by luvwelly (Post 7408493)
He's not saying that, he's saying Brits with Heavy Goods Vehicle licences and UK experience of truck driving (not car driving) will have been in way worse traffic conditions than anything you find on Kiwi roads....there aren't even any proper motorways in NZ and the volume of traffic is tiny in comparison to UK. My own 6 weeks experience of driving a car round North and South island on holiday bears this out..I was never once even in a traffic jam....not even in Auckland. ;)

All I'm asking if any body knows of jobs available for my friend as a truck driver .not to worried about all the other jargon.
Thanks
Paul

luvwelly Mar 23rd 2009 4:51 am

Originally Posted by angpaul (Post 7408535)
All I'm asking if any body knows of jobs available for my friend as a truck driver .not to worried about all the other jargon.
Thanks
Paul

FGS It's a discussion forum..your friend would be well advised to note that truck driving is not an easy route to PR. Would he prefer no one to respond at all..we are empathising with his predicament?:(