Truck Driver

Old Jan 19th 2008, 7:00 pm
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Truck Driver

Hope people dont get upset by these remarks I found it hard in NZ for a few years and this is the path I now choose the differance is I got PR before entering based on a number of factors.[/QUOTE]

No problem, as Jill said all info and stories are good, everyones situations are different, some people take drops in wages (in all sorts of jobs ) compared to U.k, we havn't, we are better off here, OH comes home every night and has 2 days off a week, better already than u.k, we can't generalise about any chosen job. I'm not one of thes people that says, it Definitely will or Won't Happen, I just keep Optomistic, until I know all doors are permanately shut for us.
I think it was Kato33 that said about all of this, where theres a will theres a way, so if the doors do become shut for my OH as a trucker, we will think of another way, well thats the master plan anyway, you gotta have one of those !!!
I love the sound of your job at the mo, 3 days, sounds good to me.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

jill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud of

Best Wishes Marika
Old Jan 19th 2008, 10:23 pm
Banned

pioneer7 is just really nicepioneer7 is just really nicepioneer7 is just really nicepioneer7 is just really nicepioneer7 is just really nicepioneer7 is just really nicepioneer7 is just really nicepioneer7 is just really nice

I was being realistic! If there are jobs that pay over $24 per hour for a 40 hour week in the trucking industry I would like to know where they are.

It is not just a case of having the appropriate licence its the endorsements that go with it for carrying certain goods etc of which cost money to the employer or yourself and they are not cheap either.

The recent trend toward NZQA standards is going to make things more complicated with existing drivers possibly being retested or sitting courses to have a NZQA approved licence. Which in itself is a joke when in theory thanks to it anyone of us who holds a Car Licence could gain a Class 5 by just sitting in a classroom in a matter of days. Which makes it all the more harder for a employer to prove necessary to hire from overseas.

Pay rates unless your prepared to work the maximum 70 hours per week are shocking, these factors combined are what is placing Truck driving on the immediate skills shortage but also blocking it form the Long term Skills list to gain PR.

Like I said if the wages were better then the Kiwis who bailed to Aussie would return and there would not even be a shortage.

Given though that the standards of British Proffesional Drivers are so much higher than New Zealand the whole system is a joke. One that thankfully the UK does not recognise of a Kiwi Truck driver heading to the UK. Which includes me now if I was ever to return to the UK my licences held in NZ would not convert to more than a Car Licence.

To any truck driver coming here would suggest if you want to get PR find a Partner who is on the Long term skills shortage.

Last edited by BEVS; Jan 20th 2008 at 2:06 am. Reason: this previously banned member has been re-banned.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

[/QUOTE]I think it was Kato33 that said about all of this, where theres a will theres a way, so if the doors do become shut for my OH as a trucker, we will think of another way, well thats the master plan anyway, you gotta have one of those !!!
I love the sound of your job at the mo, 3 days, sounds good to me.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah.........it was me
If I have to re-train, then no worries! I have NO intention of coming back to the UK.

May I ask another question though?? What happens if we buy our own truck and work for ourselves? Can we get PR that way? This is what I am looking to do at the mo. I just need to equate my CPC over to the CKPL (?) And I can never find the answer to that question either.

Marika......keep your ears open for us
Old Jan 21st 2008, 10:33 am
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by pioneer7
I was being realistic! If there are jobs that pay over $24 per hour for a 40 hour week in the trucking industry I would like to know where they are.

It is not just a case of having the appropriate licence its the endorsements that go with it for carrying certain goods etc of which cost money to the employer or yourself and they are not cheap either.

The recent trend toward NZQA standards is going to make things more complicated with existing drivers possibly being retested or sitting courses to have a NZQA approved licence. Which in itself is a joke when in theory thanks to it anyone of us who holds a Car Licence could gain a Class 5 by just sitting in a classroom in a matter of days. Which makes it all the more harder for a employer to prove necessary to hire from overseas.

Pay rates unless your prepared to work the maximum 70 hours per week are shocking, these factors combined are what is placing Truck driving on the immediate skills shortage but also blocking it form the Long term Skills list to gain PR.

Like I said if the wages were better then the Kiwis who bailed to Aussie would return and there would not even be a shortage.

Given though that the standards of British Proffesional Drivers are so much higher than New Zealand the whole system is a joke. One that thankfully the UK does not recognise of a Kiwi Truck driver heading to the UK. Which includes me now if I was ever to return to the UK my licences held in NZ would not convert to more than a Car Licence.

To any truck driver coming here would suggest if you want to get PR find a Partner who is on the Long term skills shortage.
I think I'm right in saying, i know of 4 companies, thats just in this area, Orica, B.P. Fonterra, and Fluidex, all paying good money for experienced drivers. They all have other Depo's too.
They arn't 40 hr weeks, but i don't think any trucker expects to work 40hrs, but the $50 k can be met, I believe in 40hrs, at about $25 per hour, thats what is important.
I'm sure if I am wrong, someone will shout out.
It does seem that the better money is in the Tanker work, the companies I have mentioned are all busy companies, so more drivers would be needed I'm sure.
You are right things would be much easier with a partner on LTSS, but truckers shouldn't give up hope, set your sights on the companies paying most money, and go for it.