British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Truck Driver (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/truck-driver-506986/)

gimley Jan 17th 2008 6:39 pm

Truck Driver

I hold a class 2 uk which is class 4 nz driving licence.

I have my work visa and am due over in early March have my flight booked and that.

I am looking for any advice or stories on other truck driver who have moved to NZ either job or work stories.
I am looking to gain residence after my 12 month visa is over but not sure if i will be able to do this once my work visa is spent (i am 35).

Please do not pm me as the website does not allow me to get them.

happynz Jan 17th 2008 6:44 pm

Re: Truck Driver

Originally Posted by gimley (Post 5801754)
I hold a class 2 uk which is class 4 nz driving licence.

I have my work visa and am due over in early March have my flight booked and that.

I am looking for any advice or stories on other truck driver who have moved to NZ either job or work stories.
I am looking to gain residence after my 12 month visa is over but not sure if i will be able to do this once my work visa is spent (i am 35).

Please do not pm me as the website does not allow me to get them.

You won't get permanent residence based on your job as a truck driver. You will be able to extend your permits, but no PR as a result of driving.

Do you have any other skills?

gimley Jan 17th 2008 6:59 pm

i dont have any other technical skills.

What i thought of doing was training in another needed skill while working as a driver not sure if that will be possible.

I know the road transport industry are trying force the goverment to add truck to the ltss, i hope they do.

happynz Jan 17th 2008 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by gimley (Post 5801825)
i don't have any other technical skills.

What i thought of doing was training in another needed skill while working as a driver not sure if that will be possible.

I know the road transport industry are trying force the goverment to add truck to the ltss, i hope they do.

If you could, get a qualification in servicing the trucks. I believe mechanics are on the long term skills shortage list.

Marika 38 Jan 18th 2008 10:47 am

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 5801773)
You won't get permanent residence based on your job as a truck driver. You will be able to extend your permits, but no PR as a result of driving.

Do you have any other skills?

Hi Happynz and O.P,

Am so confused by all of this Pr for truck drivers, only yesterday my OH spoke to NZIS, explained our situation over here, and asked about WTR, the man went off and spoke to someone else, he then came back on and said yes if company is accredited, and the wages requirement is met for correct amount of hours, it would be no problem. Have we been advised incorrectly, Again, as I said we are getting very confused.
Many thanks. :confused:

happynz Jan 18th 2008 11:16 am

Hi Marika,
It seems as if there is conflicting information. Read this article, especially Immigration's reply - http://www.stuff.co.nz/manawatustand...0716a6003.html

If I was you I'd get in touch with NZIS again and try to verify the information that your OH was given.

Marika 38 Jan 18th 2008 11:28 am

Thanks Happy,
read this earlier, but i can only think from this, that NZIS have given this reply, as perhaps they know the salary the driver is on, perhaps it isn't enough to qualify for WTR, so they can only carry on on Temp Work Visa's.
But yes we will ring again, and talk to someone else to try to clarify this. A guy from scotland at OH's work has gained PR with this company, so OH is dying to talk to him to ask all about it.
Will let you know anymore info we find out. :)

gimley Jan 18th 2008 7:43 pm

Let me know how you get on Marika 38.

I am away in 6 weeks and have a 12 month visa i hope all this confusion gets cleared up soon.

BEVS Jan 18th 2008 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Marika 38 (Post 5804755)
Hi Happynz and O.P,

Am so confused by all of this Pr for truck drivers, only yesterday my OH spoke to NZIS, explained our situation over here, and asked about WTR, the man went off and spoke to someone else, he then came back on and said yes if company is accredited, and the wages requirement is met for correct amount of hours, it would be no problem. Have we been advised incorrectly, Again, as I said we are getting very confused.
Many thanks. :confused:

If you gain employment with an acredited employer AND the salary is $50K per annum for a 40 hour week ( I think that is the hours anyway) , then you could apply for a WTR visa. This is $24.50 per hour.
Your employer would not have to prove there was no NZ resident for the job as he has become an 'acredited' employer. In other words the NZ employer has shown NZIS, by meeting various criteria, that they have need for overseas workers.

Be aware ! If you work for an acredited employer and it is less than $50K pa , you will only gain a temporary work permit. It may be that you are promised that a wage rise will happen in the future which gives one the hope of a WTR later on. Whilst this may well happen, please bear in mind that NZIS have already raised the threshold from $45K to $50K. There is nothing to stop them raising that threshold again.

From what one reads on sites like these, $50K pa - 40 hr week for trucking is unlikely.

I would also comment that you should go back to NZIS and double check . Highlight that you are a heavy vehicle driver and ask for your route to PR. The info. on WTR with an acredited employer is correct.

jill1420 Jan 18th 2008 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Marika 38 (Post 5804967)
Thanks Happy,
read this earlier, but i can only think from this, that NZIS have given this reply, as perhaps they know the salary the driver is on, perhaps it isn't enough to qualify for WTR, so they can only carry on on Temp Work Visa's.
But yes we will ring again, and talk to someone else to try to clarify this. A guy from scotland at OH's work has gained PR with this company, so OH is dying to talk to him to ask all about it.

Thats great Marika.............start a new thread................How to get PR as a trucker in NZ................................cause all we read is negative, negative, negative! Good Luck, Jill:thumbsup:

p.s whats his name? I might know him.....................lol

BEVS Jan 19th 2008 2:22 am

Originally Posted by Marika 38 (Post 5804967)
A guy from scotland at OH's work has gained PR with this company,

I agree Jill1420. As I posted in an earlier previous thread about truckers in NZ, we just need one that has actually gained PR through trucking and the route he /she used. With that, there is a case history and therefore leverage for the rest of you.

pioneer7 Jan 19th 2008 4:57 am

Hi I dont want to upset anyone here but I am concerned with the amount of people coming to New Zealand expecting to get PR because they drive a Truck.

Yes theres a shortage but the shortage is created by the trucking industry by not paying the wages! Now if a employer was willing to pay $50,000 pa for a 40 hour week then there would be no shortage as every kiwi resident would be applying and the ones overseas driving in Australia would come back.

Its also way to easy to get a driving licence for a truck over here compared to the UK and yet still not enough local workforce for the job and the reason is the hours and the wages.

I have a Class 2 over here converted from the UK at a cost of $130 most people from the UK can convert there car licence to class 2 as well allowing a drive up to 18,000kg then once they have that for less than $100 get a class 4 which is what I will be doing once I find a employer who will lend me a truck for the idiot proof 30 minute drive around the block.

On top of that I hold Passenger endorsement which I am currently drving a 30 seat Bus thats the hardest thing to hold on to a $99 per year. As for the wages........shocking I was offered $16 per hour but that fell through.

So the reality is dont expect to get a PR from Trucking. Theres a shortage I know because only 4 people applied for my job I got no worries, the reason they did not want it was the wages. I set my terms doing 3 days at 11 hours not planning on doing more which was a good bargaining chip to a desperate employer but luckly he has a back up driver who is doing 2 days. He is in a panic when I get my class 4 because I wiill be off on something else.

Hope people dont get upset by these remarks I found it hard in NZ for a few years and this is the path I now choose the differance is I got PR before entering based on a number of factors.

pioneer7 Jan 19th 2008 5:00 am

btw, I know of 3 Class 4 drivers needed where I live plus a Truck Trailer livestock mover desperate for drivers.

jill1420 Jan 19th 2008 2:16 pm

No bother....................we all just like to hear good honest posts not unecessary negative ones. At end of day if it can be done GREAT otherwise I will need to get PR thru my job. Thanks for your helpful advice it helps us all in that boat to know what we are up against.:thumbsup:

Marika 38 Jan 19th 2008 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 5807509)
If you gain employment with an acredited employer AND the salary is $50K per annum for a 40 hour week ( I think that is the hours anyway) , then you could apply for a WTR visa. This is $24.50 per hour.
Your employer would not have to prove there was no NZ resident for the job as he has become an 'acredited' employer. In other words the NZ employer has shown NZIS, by meeting various criteria, that they have need for overseas workers.

Be aware ! If you work for an acredited employer and it is less than $50K pa , you will only gain a temporary work permit. It may be that you are promised that a wage rise will happen in the future which gives one the hope of a WTR later on. Whilst this may well happen, please bear in mind that NZIS have already raised the threshold from $45K to $50K. There is nothing to stop them raising that threshold again.

From what one reads on sites like these, $50K pa - 40 hr week for trucking is unlikely.

I would also comment that you should go back to NZIS and double check . Highlight that you are a heavy vehicle driver and ask for your route to PR. The info. on WTR with an acredited employer is correct.

Thanks Bev,

I have to agree with all those saying we need more positivity about truckers over here, and yes we definitely need a story of someone gaining residency.
Maybe, hopefully, one-day, fingers crossed, it will happen.
We have worked how much an hour is needed for the $50k P.a for the 40hrs, and its quite acheivable with OH's company, this is why we remain positive about it all, we're not just dreaming and we've really looked into it. It means so much to us, (as it does to everyone) as Daughter is 15 and going into yr 12 in Feb, so only 2 yrs left at school, before we need to worry about funding her further Ed, which she definitely wants to do, so even if by then we are on a WTR Visa and we need to fund her whilst on that visa, we would, IF it meant PR was at the end of it.
I will check again tomorrow with NZIS, and OH will try to get to speak to this other guy with the company that has gained PR, they all start at different times though so catching people is sometimes hard, but he'll try.

Keep smiling everyone, and in the words of Bob Marley, "Don't Worry, be Happy". :) :D :) Should have said in Jills words too, lol.