British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Trivial question ~ apologies! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/trivial-question-%7E-apologies-739301/)

florabundi Nov 18th 2011 9:08 am

Trivial question ~ apologies!

Hi, does anyone know if we can pack lotions & potions (conditioners, moisturiser, beauty products) in the container? I would stock up on my favourites when they are on offer to bring with me. Also, what about the drinks cupboard, can we bring unopened bottles in the container? If the stress of selling the house keeps up the second question will be irrelevant! Thank you :D

lardyl Nov 18th 2011 9:23 am

Re: Trivial question ~ apologies!

Originally Posted by florabundi (Post 9740110)
Hi, does anyone know if we can pack lotions & potions (conditioners, moisturiser, beauty products) in the container? I would stock up on my favourites when they are on offer to bring with me. Also, what about the drinks cupboard, can we bring unopened bottles in the container? If the stress of selling the house keeps up the second question will be irrelevant! Thank you :D

well we were told that we couldn't take opened bottles and many made the journey, however, if customs decided to look then there may have been trouble.......
doubt that there is any problem with cosmetics/beauty products unless they are like unprocessed foods on some banned list. we have brought in heaps of that sort of thing in luggage so doubt there would be a problem, but caveat above may apply :fingerscrossed:

Charismatic Nov 18th 2011 9:25 am

Can't see why not, unopened is usually OK. It's not get if you'll accidentally release a Baileys tree into New Zealand.

florabundi Nov 18th 2011 9:39 am

Now, I would like one of those in my garden! Thanks:D

lardyl Nov 18th 2011 9:41 am

Originally Posted by florabundi (Post 9740160)
Now, I would like one of those in my garden! Thanks:D

:thumbsup:

johnht Nov 18th 2011 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 9740132)
well we were told that we couldn't take opened bottles and many made the journey, however, if customs decided to look then there may have been trouble.......
doubt that there is any problem with cosmetics/beauty products unless they are like unprocessed foods on some banned list. we have brought in heaps of that sort of thing in luggage so doubt there would be a problem, but caveat above may apply :fingerscrossed:

Our shipper's NZ office asked us what alcohol we had, its value and when bought so they could tell Customs. It was just stuff we hadn't got round to drinking before we left - nothing special so I wasn't able to give exact dates and values. We've not had any come back from my approximate answers, I think Customs are concerned if it's an excessive quantity or value.
I would guess that the problem with taking opened bottles is the concern that they could leak.
John.