Travel Problems

Old Mar 26th 2005, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

MR NICE GUY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel Problems

I have just returned from a trip to the UK on Singapore Airlines.
It was one of those journeys. Highlights included me in Singapore...luggage in Auckland; courtesy bus no show at Singapore Hotel....taxi to airport panic; non-functioning audio visual screens for part of the journey and other little niggles which all added to the usual stress of it all.
When I collected my luggage at Auckland after the return flight, I found that the brand new suitcase which was bought specifically for that trip had the wheels ripped off and was destroyed.
Now I am not suggesting that this kind of thing is unusual or it was the fault of Singapore Airlines, however, the response to the situation was their decision alone.
Singapore Airlines took no responsibility for the luggage and referred me to my insurer. "Read the conditions of carriage" I was told. "We are not responsible or liable".
This was in stark contrast to the extremely helpful response of other airlines
to problems I have had in the past.
Now I realise that bad things happen when travelling and that we can probably all give examples of good and bad service from various airlines.
The issue for me is that Singapore Airlines believe that the fact that a condition is hidden away in a document I have never seen, nor under normal circumstances would I ever see, is a good enough reason to walk away from the problem.
Why do I care? Well, its not the end of civilisation but consumer rights have always interested me. It was a $200 suitcase and the tickets cost $7000. Surely common sense would suggest that the airline should take responsibility whether strictly legally obliged to or not. They did not and after I queried their position they wrote "as a gesture of goodwill, we are prepared to pay for the bag to be repaired". This disingenuous offer required me to get the bag to one of three places at least four hours drive away from where I live.
It has made me wonder what other "terms and conditions" exist in the customer-friendly world of Singapore Airlines. What if they had injured someone or caused them real harm. Would "read the conditions" be their reponse?
I am just about to book another UK trip for the Summer and think I might give Air Malaysia a try. I have heard many good reports about them and the spacious seat configurations they use. KL is good fun too.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 10:43 pm
Deb+Chris

Default Re: Travel Problems

OK so you are a rep from Malasia Airlines then? LOL

No... seriously... why have such an expensive suitcase?!! :scared: they only get bashed about from place to place!! what a waste of money.!

Yes, fight for your rights... it takes time and patience to get anywhere but may be worth it in the end hey?

So what was this post about then?

Deb