British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Travel Orewa to Auckland City (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/travel-orewa-auckland-city-671507/)

NZGrl Jun 7th 2010 10:37 pm

Travel Orewa to Auckland City

Hi there,

Just about to start a job in Auckland City and was wondering if anyone could let me know how long it takes to get into Auckland these days. I need to start at 9am

Cheers :D

sirplug Jun 8th 2010 10:44 am

Re: Travel Orewa to Auckland City

Originally Posted by NZGrl (Post 8618073)
Hi there,

Just about to start a job in Auckland City and was wondering if anyone could let me know how long it takes to get into Auckland these days. I need to start at 9am

Cheers :D

Good luck!:thumbup:

I'd leave about 0745, then.

Or go to Gulf Harbour and catch the ferry??

If you're not starting for a day or 2, try going tomorrow morning at 0800 and see how far you get.........then alter your next run by 20 mins or so......

lapsed kiwi Jun 8th 2010 7:08 pm

If you're going to the CBD, the best way is to drive to the Albany park and ride station and then take the bus. Time is about 15 minutes to drive and park, 5 min to get bus and 30 min on the bus - so about 50-55 total. I do this when I need to go to meetings in town, although I normally work in Devonport.
The only problem is if you're working away from the CBD and need to get a connecting bus, that would slow things down a bit
You definitely don't want to drive the whole way - the motorway is like a car park from Albany onwards after 0730

sirplug Jun 8th 2010 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi (Post 8620228)
If you're going to the CBD, the best way is to drive to the Albany park and ride station and then take the bus. Time is about 15 minutes to drive and park, 5 min to get bus and 30 min on the bus - so about 50-55 total. I do this when I need to go to meetings in town, although I normally work in Devonport.
The only problem is if you're working away from the CBD and need to get a connecting bus, that would slow things down a bit
You definitely don't want to drive the whole way - the motorway is like a car park from Albany onwards after 0730

Good option but all the car parking spaces go by 0730! You'll have to find a space on the road and walk to the bus........

NZGrl Jun 8th 2010 11:15 pm

Think I will try driving as I have a car park with work so we shall see.

Thanks

sirplug Jun 8th 2010 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by NZGrl (Post 8620664)
Think I will try driving as I have a car park with work so we shall see.

Thanks

Give it a trial run, first. It does get busy trying to cross the bridge!

simonsi Jun 9th 2010 5:24 am

Pick your time and look at the cameras on the route:

Auckland Traffic Cameras

rason Jun 9th 2010 10:03 am

I crossed the bridge from the North Shore at 0945 this morning and it still was bad. But if your used to commuting in the UK, its about the same. Have you thought about the Devonport or Bayswater ferry? Great way to commute