Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Travel insurance for non-residents

Travel insurance for non-residents

Old Jul 8th 2014, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Travel insurance for non-residents

Hey everyone,

I'm posting this more as a heads up for those of us on temp visas (though I think we're in the minority) today I had to add travel insurance to the LONG list of things that I cannot do until I can tick that little box that says 'I am a resident'.

Apparently the travel insurance industry generally requires that you are a resident before they will give you insurance. This means that people like me, with a full time job and long term (if temporary) work visa fall out in the cold. Thankfully after I went to my bank (who know I work full time and have a copy of my visa and contract) and got them to talk to the big wigs at central office I have been granted the right to insure my holiday.

I was told it's the same for Kiwis in the UK but I always remember the phrase as being 'do you have the right to live and work in the UK?' which is a lot more forgiving than are you a permanent resident.

Anyway, good luck temporary people. This has convinced me to make my shiny residency application when I return from the UK in November.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Blade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel insurance for non-residents

Another heads up

If you ever need travel insurance - go to Columbus. They're a worldwide travel insurance company that will offer you travel insurance, no matter what your immigration status is
Old Jul 8th 2014, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel insurance for non-residents

Karma already given but THANKYOU Blade, I luckily hadn't actually purchased it thanks to the Westpac in the restart mall being so small. So I've just saved myself a helluvalot of money.