Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Travel Insurance....help!

Travel Insurance....help!

Old Nov 30th 2005, 7:24 pm
Master

properdivers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel Insurance....help!

Hi, me and my partner have a skilled migrant visa...do we need to get travel insurance for when we fly? we fly on Tuesday..fingers crossed...but have only just thought of insurance. Obviously I want the answer to be no! but if the answer is yes I'd best get it sorted! Thanks for any help..
Old Nov 30th 2005, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

dekajack1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Travel Insurance....help!

Originally Posted by properdivers
Hi, me and my partner have a skilled migrant visa...do we need to get travel insurance for when we fly? we fly on Tuesday..fingers crossed...but have only just thought of insurance. Obviously I want the answer to be no! but if the answer is yes I'd best get it sorted! Thanks for any help..
I would recommend yes - we depart in January and have just arranged Travel insurance online via Post Office - they do a policy for a one way trip.

Good Luck
Old Nov 30th 2005, 7:39 pm
Master

properdivers is an unknown quantity at this point

Cool, have you got it for a year or something? How much did it cost if you don't mind me asking? And was this something you've decided to do yourselves or is it needed? Thanks!
Old Nov 30th 2005, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Travel Insurance....help!

Cool, have you got it for a year or something? How much did it cost if you don't mind me asking? And was this something you've decided to do yourselves or is it needed? Thanks!
For a one way trip you only get cover for 17 days from date of departure - £132 for 2 adults/1 child - needed if your baggage is lost/stolen and for medical costs - cancellation of flights etc. - specimen policy on web site gives you full details of cover etc. should something go wrong during period of cover - a ddefinitemust I would say.
http://www.ppost officeco.uUKportal/po/home

Regards
Old Nov 30th 2005, 7:49 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Hehe - thought I was the only one. I was so embarrassed that I've never actually told anyone but we were in Singapore when I suddenly remembered we didn't have insurance I was SURE everything was going to go wrong from there on, up to the plane dropping out of the sky and my son wouldn't get a penny I really freaked out about it so for your peace of mind I'd definitely get it.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Winnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud of

Just got travel insurance today from Insure and go. It cost about £56 for 3 of us and includes a stopover in Thailand for a week. Phone number is:
0800 089 0067. Covers cancellation, medical, baggage etc.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

nivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud of

Hi

We've also just got sorted.

Try www.insurancebookers.com
www.atlasdirect.net

Both gave reasonable prices.

Good luck
Old Dec 1st 2005, 12:01 am
Citizenships collector...

urbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

We booked via Insure And Go, £52 for 2 adults covering 5 days - from leaving the UK, stopover trip in Singapore up to arrival in Auckland.

Their website is www.insureandgo.com
Old Dec 1st 2005, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Travel Insurance....help!

Originally Posted by urbanproject
Hi,

We booked via Insure And Go, £52 for 2 adults covering 5 days - from leaving the UK, stopover trip in Singapore up to arrival in Auckland.

Their website is www.insureandgo.com
You need to be sure these policies cover a one way trip and not a single trip - returning to UK - as most policies only operate if you are returning to UK - worth checking as otherwise policy may not operate should you need to claim - in short check the policy operates for 1 way travel.

Cheers
Old Dec 1st 2005, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Winnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dekajack1
You need to be sure these policies cover a one way trip and not a single trip - returning to UK - as most policies only operate if you are returning to UK - worth checking as otherwise policy may not operate should you need to claim - in short check the policy operates for 1 way travel.

Cheers
The policy I got was for one way. It was a hell of a job trying to find a company that did one!
Old Dec 1st 2005, 9:51 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

We booked one way with Travelbag and their insurance was very reasonable
Old Dec 1st 2005, 9:53 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

We booked and bought the insurance at the same time though so I don't know how you would do it seperate
Old Dec 1st 2005, 1:53 pm
Citizenships collector...

urbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dekajack1

Cheers
Hi Dekajack1,

Yes we doublechecked while booking and it is for a 1 way trip, not single with intention to return (like a holiday) It does say on our policy that the insurance will cease as soon as we leave customs on arrival in Auckland.

I posted a message on this forum a month before leaving or so and one of the posters recommended insureandgo. We had a hell of a time trying to find a company who'd deal with 1 way trips too.