British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Travel Insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/travel-insurance-769201/)

Spacecake799 Aug 23rd 2012 2:51 am

Travel Insurance

Any help greatly recieved here.
My daughter and her boyfriend are heading for a holiday to the UK for 9 weeks over christmas.
I have been quoted $300 pp for the travel Insurance. They are going via the US and back via HK.
Any ideas of how to get it cheaper? Is it two risky to not get Insurance for the entire time for my daughter i.e not while shes in the UK. Didn't realise it would be so expensive.
Thanks
Carole

Tom1983 Aug 23rd 2012 3:08 am

Re: Travel Insurance

That's travel insurance for you

Have you tried Columbus? We got a quote with them when we went to Sri Lanka for 2 weeks and it was only $48 per person. We found it extremely difficult since we weren't residents as no travel insurer was offering travel insurance for non NZ residents, apart from Southern Cross but that was way expensive

Spacecake799 Aug 23rd 2012 3:16 am

Originally Posted by Tom1983 (Post 10241664)
That's travel insurance for you

Have you tried Columbus? We got a quote with them when we went to Sri Lanka for 2 weeks and it was only $48 per person. We found it extremely difficult since we weren't residents as no travel insurer was offering travel insurance for non NZ residents, apart from Southern Cross but that was way expensive

Hi, I haven't tried them no. The boyfriend is a Kiwi, we are NZ residents, its the 9 weeks and going through the US that seems to cost.
Thanks

lardyl Aug 23rd 2012 5:04 am

Originally Posted by Spacecake799 (Post 10241679)
Hi, I haven't tried them no. The boyfriend is a Kiwi, we are NZ residents, its the 9 weeks and going through the US that seems to cost.
Thanks

yeah it's the US leg that piles on the cost, or did for my mum with the medical aspect being the factor in it all, I think it was 2 or 3 times the cost for her going via LA over HK.
do they need the medical side at all?
or can they just have the other areas covered?

Spacecake799 Aug 23rd 2012 5:06 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 10241782)
yeah it's the US leg that piles on the cost, or did for my mum with the medical aspect being the factor in it all, I think it was 2 or 3 times the cost for her going via LA over HK.
do they need the medical side at all?
or can they just have the other areas covered?

They don't need the medical side of it as they are only 19 & 20 however you couldn't risk it. You never know.

Bev MK Aug 23rd 2012 6:57 am

there's a company called sevencorners.com who do travel insurance for people anywhere in the world. I used them recently for a holiday that started in one country, went through 3 countries and finished in an entirely different country and the price was reasonable for 3 months. Dearer than Columbus etc but they are aiming at a different market. They're American so all prices are in USD.

To cut costs, I'd recommend accepting an excess on baggage rather than compromising on medical. No-one plans to get sick but if it happens overseas it can really cost you, and even bankrupt you at US costs. On our recent holiday our 1 yr old ended up in hospital for 5 days and I'm glad we had good insurance. I also know a couple who have had to remortgage their home to get their 20 yr old back to the UK when he had an accident overseas after letting his travel insurance run out. Ultimately the cost of losing your baggage is capped at the value of what's in there whereas medical can be stratospheric. Usually a $250 excess on baggage cuts that premium quite a bit.