British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Travel insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/travel-insurance-682178/)

dave77 Aug 21st 2010 7:14 pm

Travel insurance

Hi!

If all goes to plan, we should be heading over sometime in October. I was wondering if it was the done thing to take out a family travel insurance policy for the journey to NZ.

Has anybody else done this? If so, how long did you take the policy out for and who did you use? I used the AA when I came to NZ and thought they were very reasonable and better than most policy too :)

Many thanks

Genesis Aug 21st 2010 7:54 pm

Re: Travel insurance

Originally Posted by dave77 (Post 8792935)
Hi!

If all goes to plan, we should be heading over sometime in October. I was wondering if it was the done thing to take out a family travel insurance policy for the journey to NZ.

Has anybody else done this? If so, how long did you take the policy out for and who did you use? I used the AA when I came to NZ and thought they were very reasonable and better than most policy too :)

Many thanks

Very good idea. If a medical disaster happens to you or your kin whilst aloft and the plane has to divert to the nearest hospital I am led to believe you will bear the cost of the re route (my son has the potential for epilepsy so I looked into it). Also if you became ill whilst in a transit lounge can you imagine the potential fiscal ruination of say a lengthy hospital stay in the US or Singapore. The latter are extremely unlikely to happen I admit but I always remeber seeing an ad. in the US pointing out 75% of US bankrupcies are thru people who had no medic insurance. Better safe than sorry. I would never ever risk travelling without insurance. I agree the AA are ace at this area of insurance.

rogercruse Aug 21st 2010 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 8792979)
Very good idea. If a medical disaster happens to you or your kin whilst aloft and the plane has to divert to the nearest hospital I am led to believe you will bear the cost of the re route (my son has the potential for epilepsy so I looked into it). Also if you became ill whilst in a transit lounge can you imagine the potential fiscal ruination of say a lengthy hospital stay in the US or Singapore. The latter are extremely unlikely to happen I admit but I always remeber seeing an ad. in the US pointing out 75% of US bankrupcies are thru people who had no medic insurance. Better safe than sorry. I would never ever risk travelling without insurance. I agree the AA are ace at this area of insurance.

The Post Office have a one-way travel policy for migrating travellers as most travel insurance assumes you'll return to the UK

dave77 Aug 21st 2010 8:22 pm

Thank you gents, that's sound advice ... I will look into some quotes :)

lisamct Aug 21st 2010 8:46 pm

I have a one way policy with Direct Travel, covered me for the journey and my first 10 days in NZ. Was pretty good cost wise in comparison to others but mine was a single person policy rather than a family one, might be worth a look though.

MnB Aug 23rd 2010 10:34 am

Originally Posted by rogercruse (Post 8792992)
The Post Office have a one-way travel policy for migrating travellers as most travel insurance assumes you'll return to the UK

We used the Post office, covered us & belongings for 17 days after arrival...reassuring when travelling around NZ! (arranged it over the phone, cost about £100 for two of us)
B x

DennisBergkamp Aug 24th 2010 10:30 pm

i may be a little stupid here
but i cant see on these insurance sites for Emigration or one way cover

Is it best to do it over the phone

The post office one sounds good as it counts the first 17 days and therefore covers my domestic flight to Welly

MnB Aug 25th 2010 11:33 am

Originally Posted by DennisBergkamp (Post 8800848)
i may be a little stupid here
but i cant see on these insurance sites for Emigration or one way cover

Is it best to do it over the phone

The post office one sounds good as it counts the first 17 days and therefore covers my domestic flight to Welly

Yep....did the PO Ins via the phone .....found the same probs with the web site.
HTH B x

DennisBergkamp Aug 25th 2010 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by MnB (Post 8801954)
Yep....did the PO Ins via the phone .....found the same probs with the web site.
HTH B x

Thanks

called them up and sorted it out
went for the premium option so it was about £60 - hopefully nothing happens, but at least i'm covered now

MnB Aug 25th 2010 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by DennisBergkamp (Post 8802016)
Thanks

called them up and sorted it out
went for the premium option so it was about £60 - hopefully nothing happens, but at least i'm covered now

Glad all sorted now .....:fingerscrossed: you wont need it but if you're anything like me you'll feel relaxed and safer with insurance rather than without!
B x