Transporting pets

Old Nov 8th 2007, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

tommytucker1975 is a jewel in the roughtommytucker1975 is a jewel in the roughtommytucker1975 is a jewel in the roughtommytucker1975 is a jewel in the roughtommytucker1975 is a jewel in the rough
Cool Transporting pets

Read loads of posts about taking pets to NZ and problems renting with dogs, cats etc. Whats the best way to go about it? Get settled in first then ship them out or bring them with you? Got 2 westies that are inseparable, 8 and 7 years old, we thought about leaving them with Lisa's parents for a couple of months but that puts it on them to sort out the vets and stuff. Also whats the renting situation like with pets?
Old Nov 8th 2007, 5:44 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Transporting pets

Yes, you'll find it more of a chore to find rentals if you are a dog owner. Cat owners also need to work a bit harder to find accommodation, but not as hard as dog owners. You might find that you will have to negotiate a bit and may have to pay a higher bond. Also be aware that you will pay a big chunk of money to ship the animals.

Getting settled in first is probably a good idea as you won't want to feel pressured to get something right away and possibly get a rental that you won't be happy with.

Good luck.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

tommytucker1975 is a jewel in the roughtommytucker1975 is a jewel in the roughtommytucker1975 is a jewel in the roughtommytucker1975 is a jewel in the roughtommytucker1975 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks, I know the prices are quite steep. Some places looking to charge up to £3500 for transport!! More than 2 tickets for us. Need to pull our fingers out as we need to be in Welly fo February, best get searching
Old Nov 8th 2007, 6:18 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by tommytucker1975
Thanks, I know the prices are quite steep. Some places looking to charge up to £3500 for transport!! More than 2 tickets for us.
What an effing racket! Nice money spinner for the airlines.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 6:22 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

ned is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nice

I'm taking our fell terrier with us, its going to cost around £1300. We will be looking for a rental too. There have been some suggestions on other threads about how to get over the No Pets rules by viewing the rental and then speaking directly to the landlords about it (offering to have the carpets cleaned, paying a higher bond etc).

Me and the missus are heading to Wellington to work at Wellington Hospital.
I'll gladly let you buy me a pint

That of course depends upon the result on saturday
Old Nov 8th 2007, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Transporting pets

I'll gladly accept your pint and the wife will have a malibu and coke, after your performance last week I think you'd be paying all night. Who did you get the quote off for the pet transport?
Old Nov 8th 2007, 7:15 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

ned is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nice

I cant recall, I will dig out the quote later on
Old Nov 8th 2007, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

Moomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond repute

We are thinking of moving and we have four dogs (3 largish and one very small). At least there is no quarantine to pay for as this does not apply with pets from the UK (they are kept in quarantine at your own premises for 30 days). Also, no rabies tests are required for dogs from the UK, so a little less to pay out, but the transportation costs are so high.

I haven't really looked into all the rules and regulations yet, but advice from another thread says an annual dog registration fee is payable (looks like charge varies where you live/intend to live).

"Dog costs....
Costs for Manukau City Council
http://www.manukau.govt.nz/default.aspx?id=219
$50 one off charge for a permit to keep more than 2 dogs
$90 per dog annual registration fee.

Costs for Franklin District Council
http://www.franklin.govt.nz/CouncilS...0/Default.aspx
$60-80 per dog annual registration fee (lower if they're desexed)
$50 one off charge for a permit to keep more than 2 dogs."

Good luck!

Kerry
Old Nov 8th 2007, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Moomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond repute

... they are kept in quarantine at your own premises (in NZ) - not the UK, for 30 days!

Kerry
Old Nov 8th 2007, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Moomoo
... they are kept in quarantine at your own premises (in NZ) - not the UK, for 30 days!

Kerry
hi jacky g here....we brought our beloved dog with us in july this year,never heard of having to keep them in quarantine at your own home for 30 days,nothing in legislation stating that.....

personaly i would bring your dog with you,as it can be a bit of a pain if the blood tests come back with the wrong results,i remember our vet telling us about a couple who had been out in nz for 4 months before they managed to get there dog over...they couldn't get clear blood results,they eventually had to put a case together and put it forward before they would let the dog in the country.....its a lot to leave someone to cope with.....

as for the rabies,we had it done anyway,didn't add that much to costs....
just in case we came backyou don't need it to get into nz with dog,but you do to go back to uk.....(ever the optimist as usual)cost us about 3,500 pounds all in,thats including vet fees....our dog is 11 and travelled really well ,no problems at all....gl...we were $70 registration,and has to be registered within 2 weeks of your arrival or you incurr a fine.....jacky
Old Nov 8th 2007, 10:58 pm
Genius

loztom is just really niceloztom is just really niceloztom is just really niceloztom is just really niceloztom is just really niceloztom is just really niceloztom is just really niceloztom is just really niceloztom is just really nice

Originally Posted by garryhg
hi jacky g here....we brought our beloved dog with us in july this year,never heard of having to keep them in quarantine at your own home for 30 days,nothing in legislation stating that.....

personaly i would bring your dog with you,as it can be a bit of a pain if the blood tests come back with the wrong results,i remember our vet telling us about a couple who had been out in nz for 4 months before they managed to get there dog over...they couldn't get clear blood results,they eventually had to put a case together and put it forward before they would let the dog in the country.....its a lot to leave someone to cope with.....

as for the rabies,we had it done anyway,didn't add that much to costs....
just in case we came backyou don't need it to get into nz with dog,but you do to go back to uk.....(ever the optimist as usual)cost us about 3,500 pounds all in,thats including vet fees....our dog is 11 and travelled really well ,no problems at all....gl...we were $70 registration,and has to be registered within 2 weeks of your arrival or you incurr a fine.....jacky
Does anyone know what the breakdown of costs are. I happen to have a vet as a brother in law so could in theory get this free ....lucky me :-) Before I leave the hound with the mother in law, I'd like to know if I can afford to bring him with us without loosing an arm and a leg !
Old Nov 8th 2007, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

We brought 2 dogs & a cat. It cost us about £2700 transport for all 3. All tests were done at local vets & came to around £800, don't use transport company for tests, they quoted us £1500, almost double, plus you'll be paying boarding fees while the tests are done.

Our 3 stayed with inlaws until we had sorted out our rental & then flew out, lucky they did as finding one that would take pets was a nightmare & the ones that did seem to prefer cats (dont know why, in our experience cats can be more destructive, scratching!!!)
Old Nov 9th 2007, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mickey_d
We brought 2 dogs & a cat. It cost us about £2700 transport for all 3. All tests were done at local vets & came to around £800, don't use transport company for tests, they quoted us £1500, almost double, plus you'll be paying boarding fees while the tests are done.

Our 3 stayed with inlaws until we had sorted out our rental & then flew out, lucky they did as finding one that would take pets was a nightmare & the ones that did seem to prefer cats (dont know why, in our experience cats can be more destructive, scratching!!!)
we just got i n touch with defra,and they e mailed our vets with all the paper work ,6 pages in total of things you require to have done,we were guided by our vets as to which transport company to use,they said they were more expensive ,but they were very good and have never had any problems with them.....they held our dog for 5 days prior to his flights,giving him his flea control and insectisidal dips that were required from defra....

to be honest we had that much to do ourselves we were quite glad for someone to take care of the dog for us....jacky
Old Nov 9th 2007, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

brandn has a brilliant futurebrandn has a brilliant futurebrandn has a brilliant futurebrandn has a brilliant futurebrandn has a brilliant futurebrandn has a brilliant future

We are paying $1300 for 3 cats. They are going 1 day ahead of us and are in a cattery for a week. Not all rentals will take cats but we have found that most will even if they advertise that they wont. When landlords smell cash they become very pliable.
We are leaving in 17 days.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

"Quarantine Costs in New Zealand
Pets from a few fortunate places such as the UK, Ireland, Hawaii etc do not have to be placed in quarantine.

Instead, they must be isolated at the owner's home for 30 days.

If your pet is not from one of the lucky countries, you will need to place it in quarantine for at least 30 days in New Zealand. This will cost you around NZ$1,200 per animal."

Quote above taken from www.emigratenz.org (moving pets section)

Found quote on www.biosecurity.govt.nz:

"Cats and dogs coming from Australia, United Kingdom, Sweden, Norway, Hawaii, Singapore and the Republic of Ireland do not require quarantine, but do require certification and will be inspected for ticks on arrival."

It all seems so complicated, but it must be achievable otherwise others wouldn't have succeeded.

One of our dogs is a little wary of strangers, so I am concerned that she would not like strangers handling her. Has anyone else had this concern? All our dogs are rescue dogs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.