Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Transporting a cat from UK to NZ. Any stories?

Transporting a cat from UK to NZ. Any stories?

Old Apr 17th 2010, 9:04 am
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Transporting a cat from UK to NZ. Any stories?

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
Our boy died in his box in the car on the way to the airport, he hated car trips, but the girl got here fine. Bro and sis aged 11 at the time.
Airpets were fantastic, even did the pre flight vet checks for us in a cattery near Heathrow.
PM if you need more personal help.
Can I just say how sad for you all to have lost your beloved cat on setting of for your new life some nice comfort I hope he was with you in the end.
We used Ladyhay and have to say they was very good, some of my clients have you them as well as Airpets.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

maisiep is just really nicemaisiep is just really nicemaisiep is just really nicemaisiep is just really nicemaisiep is just really nicemaisiep is just really nicemaisiep is just really nicemaisiep is just really nice

We brought our two cats over, they were only 3 and 4 at the time, but we were very worried about them as they are high maintenance moggies! They don't even cope very well with a 10 minute car ride, but they were fine and love their new life away from the crowded streets of London. We used Airpets and they were fab - very patient and reassuring with our constant questions and worries.

If your cat is in good health then you shouldn't worry too much about the journey. In reality they probably deal with it far better than we do!

Good luck!
Old Apr 24th 2010, 9:32 am
~^_^~

shelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond repute

So just to update anyone who's interested......

Our Gary cat was already en route to Heathrow when the whole volcanic ash thingy hit the UK, so she ended up at Heathrow for about 5 days (I think). During this time Golden Arrow kept booking her on every available flight only to have it cancelled a few hours later. So they had all the cancellation paperwork to fill out alongside booking her on the next flight...and so on.
After 5 days they decided to take Gary back to their kennels as it was unfair keeping her at Heathrow. Then typically, after one day back with Golden Arrow all flights were back up and running!! So back to Heathrow and across the globe to NZ for our Gary cat.

She landed in Auckland this morning and was cleared by MAF before heading down to us in Wellington. We picked her up from the airport at approx 1pm.
Bless, she was lying in her crate quiet as anything and as soon as she saw us she was on her feet meowing away....so I'm assuming she recognised us.

Tazi back to ours (no car yet) and she was sniffing around for ages and much more loving to us than she ever has been. Bless she ooks knackeered and I think she is jet lagged, but won't go to sleep as she keeps having to check to make sure we're still here.

In total she was away from us for nearly a month and had to travel from London to Shropshire to get to the kennels initially and then to Heathrow and back and then back again in the space of 5 days. Considering she is a super nervous, timid cat, she has coped amazingly well. I didn't even think she would make the flight to NZ but there was no way I was leaving her behind. In retrospect I am so so so pleased we decided not to rehome her with relatives (no that this was ever really an option) as she was so so happy to see us today.

PS after this I really cannot recommend Golden Arrow enough and am still trying to think of ways to thank them enough.....they put her in kennels for the extra time for free and drove down to Heathrow and back with no extra expense to us and phoned us on our NZ mobiles for quarter of an hour at a go several times. Seriously seriously excellent.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 2:40 pm

Flower Pot is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh Shelloid I am soooooooo happy to read your update!

Delighted little Gary made it over safely and is happily sussing out her new pad! ^--^

Wow, she has been very brave through her extra long journey, special little lady you have there

You have made me feel so much better about Tony's impending flight on 23rd June... bless him, he's a very nervous traveller too but hopefully he'll travel as well as Gary

Congrats on the arrival of your family member.... maybe you can upload a photo of her in her new gaff?!

Chez x
Old Apr 24th 2010, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

Highgate is a jewel in the roughHighgate is a jewel in the roughHighgate is a jewel in the roughHighgate is a jewel in the rough

But I've looked at the crates they use and it doesn't seem kind to cage her up in one of those for so long. If the cat pees and poos en-route (inevitable)isn't she going to lying in it for hours?

Originally Posted by shelloid
So just to update anyone who's interested......

Our Gary cat was already en route to Heathrow when the whole volcanic ash thingy hit the UK, so she ended up at Heathrow for about 5 days (I think). During this time Golden Arrow kept booking her on every available flight only to have it cancelled a few hours later. So they had all the cancellation paperwork to fill out alongside booking her on the next flight...and so on.
After 5 days they decided to take Gary back to their kennels as it was unfair keeping her at Heathrow. Then typically, after one day back with Golden Arrow all flights were back up and running!! So back to Heathrow and across the globe to NZ for our Gary cat.

She landed in Auckland this morning and was cleared by MAF before heading down to us in Wellington. We picked her up from the airport at approx 1pm.
Bless, she was lying in her crate quiet as anything and as soon as she saw us she was on her feet meowing away....so I'm assuming she recognised us.

Tazi back to ours (no car yet) and she was sniffing around for ages and much more loving to us than she ever has been. Bless she ooks knackeered and I think she is jet lagged, but won't go to sleep as she keeps having to check to make sure we're still here.

In total she was away from us for nearly a month and had to travel from London to Shropshire to get to the kennels initially and then to Heathrow and back and then back again in the space of 5 days. Considering she is a super nervous, timid cat, she has coped amazingly well. I didn't even think she would make the flight to NZ but there was no way I was leaving her behind. In retrospect I am so so so pleased we decided not to rehome her with relatives (no that this was ever really an option) as she was so so happy to see us today.

PS after this I really cannot recommend Golden Arrow enough and am still trying to think of ways to thank them enough.....they put her in kennels for the extra time for free and drove down to Heathrow and back with no extra expense to us and phoned us on our NZ mobiles for quarter of an hour at a go several times. Seriously seriously excellent.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 11:47 pm
~^_^~

shelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond repute

Gary's crate was very clean when it got to us....yes there was a bit of wee on the paper on the bottom, but no poop. And the wee was only in one corner so she just sat on the other side of the box....it was big enough for her to be able to do this.
I'm assuming it was wee although it may have been water as it was at the end where the water container was. Yeah it was probably wee, as I'm sure she couldn't have gone that long without....although as soon as she got here she did do the longest wee ever!

Yes it's not particularly kind to have her lying in her own wee for however long it was there, but in my eyes it was kinder to do that and have with us than abandoning her as she is a member of our family. She has been extremely happy since she got here, although I know it's only been one day, so I'll see how she is in a few days or week or so and report back if you like.

I guess it's up to you as to whether you feel more comfortable transporting your cat or whether it would be better re-homing her. If our Gary had been as old as your cat I'm honestly not sure how I would have felt as 18 is pretty old and surely she would feel the stress more.
It's a tough decision for you and I know you'll make the right decision for your cat, whatever that may be.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 11:19 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Brill Shelloid

I did wonder if Golden Arrow had taken Gary back to their kennels or if he had to wait it out at Heathrow. Sounds like Golden Arrow really stepped up to the mark.

Of course Gary recognised you. You are her people. You look right, You smell right. You are everything that is familiar to her. Bet you've been given a right good meowing. Fab news that she has finally arrived. She is a

Originally Posted by Highgate
But I've looked at the crates they use and it doesn't seem kind to cage her up in one of those for so long. If the cat pees and poos en-route (inevitable)isn't she going to lying in it for hours?
Cats have control over their bowels and bladders , just as we do. Cats are fussy about where they toilet. My cats arrived without having messed or peed in their respective crates.

Bit like myself. I'm fussy where I 'go' and it's a bit of a no-no for me on any long haul flight. TMI I know.

Of course if your cat is very elderly , then you should take advice from several anmal shippers & your vet. It is in the pet shippers best interest & reputation that they do the best for anyones animals.

I know that Pixi-dust brought her 19 yr old cat .

You know . We often discuss flying our cats and dogs around the world and worry for them. How must it be for those with horses.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

Highgate is a jewel in the roughHighgate is a jewel in the roughHighgate is a jewel in the roughHighgate is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for that Shelloid. Perhaps I'm a bit over protective! We most definitely will not re-home her. The choices are (a) we go and Polly comes with us or (b) we stay and Polly stays with us or (c) we go later when Polly has passed on.
I'm sure Gary will be OK in future if she's fine now. Glad to hear you are all happily together.
We are not, of course, being over sentimental about our cats. Not only are they equal members of the family, they are our teachers:-)
Regards
Cliff in Highgate

Originally Posted by shelloid
Gary's crate was very clean when it got to us....yes there was a bit of wee on the paper on the bottom, but no poop. And the wee was only in one corner so she just sat on the other side of the box....it was big enough for her to be able to do this.
I'm assuming it was wee although it may have been water as it was at the end where the water container was. Yeah it was probably wee, as I'm sure she couldn't have gone that long without....although as soon as she got here she did do the longest wee ever!

Yes it's not particularly kind to have her lying in her own wee for however long it was there, but in my eyes it was kinder to do that and have with us than abandoning her as she is a member of our family. She has been extremely happy since she got here, although I know it's only been one day, so I'll see how she is in a few days or week or so and report back if you like.

I guess it's up to you as to whether you feel more comfortable transporting your cat or whether it would be better re-homing her. If our Gary had been as old as your cat I'm honestly not sure how I would have felt as 18 is pretty old and surely she would feel the stress more.
It's a tough decision for you and I know you'll make the right decision for your cat, whatever that may be.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 12:49 pm

Flower Pot is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Highgate
We are not, of course, being over sentimental about our cats. Not only are they equal members of the family, they are our teachers:-)
Totally agree!

Good luck with whatever you decide. We are using Golden Arrow to ship Tony in 8 weeks, will let you know how it goes Cliff