British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Transporting a cat from UK to NZ. Any stories? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/transporting-cat-uk-nz-any-stories-664168/)

Highgate Apr 15th 2010 2:51 pm

Transporting a cat from UK to NZ. Any stories?

We're planning to move from UK to NZ and our big worry is our lovely old cat. She's about 18 years old. Is that long journey a terrible thing to do to her? If anyone has experiences or advice we'd love to hear from you.
Regards
Cliff in Highgate, UK

Flower Pot Apr 15th 2010 5:56 pm

Re: Transporting a cat from UK to NZ. Any stories?

My parents took their 7 yr old cat to NZ 4 yrs ago, he was absolutely fine and loves his new 'jungle' garden! :rofl:

We are taking our 6 yr old cat out with us in June, scared for him for the journey but we're sure he'll be fine. Using Golden Arrow shippers as they are highly recommended and great caring service.

Wow, 18 yrs is very impressive! Is she in good health? I guess only you can decide whether she'll handle the journey by her health and character :)

Highgate Apr 15th 2010 8:41 pm

Thanks for that Flower Pot. I'll look at Golden Arrow. Thanks for mentioning them. Yes she's in good health. Sleeps a lot and stone deaf - both of which will probably help her on the journey.
It would be good to hear how yours gets on in June. How much is it costing you?
BW

4kiwi4 Apr 15th 2010 8:45 pm

I brought 3 cats in 2007, oldest being 12 and they were all fine. I also shipped a dog who was 12 and totally deaf, and she was fine too. They were hungry when they arrived, but apart from that, none the worse for wear really. But like the previous reply, only you can determine if she's healthy enough, but then again, the vet will also help you with that when she has to have her checks. Good luck :-)
PS We used Parair in Colchester, Essex. And they were brill too, with plenty of experience.

Binks Apr 15th 2010 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Highgate (Post 8498625)
We're planning to move from UK to NZ and our big worry is our lovely old cat. She's about 18 years old. Is that long journey a terrible thing to do to her? If anyone has experiences or advice we'd love to hear from you.
Regards
Cliff in Highgate, UK

I also recommend Golden Arrow. Our cat has been here two weeks and seemed to handle the journey better than our dog who I'm sure was suffering from jet lag for a couple of days.

BEVS Apr 15th 2010 10:00 pm

We brought out our 10 yr and 8yr old cats. They breezed the journey. We used Airpets from Heathrow.

Perhaps take your cat to your vet and have a complete MOT done so you know that the cat is elderly but with no underlying problems.

Golden Arrow has an excellent reputation across the migrant forum boards. Have a good long talk with the chap from there. He can let you know exactly what is involved for your animal.

hazeandsteve Apr 16th 2010 4:35 am

Our boy died in his box in the car on the way to the airport, he hated car trips, but the girl got here fine. Bro and sis aged 11 at the time.
Airpets were fantastic, even did the pre flight vet checks for us in a cattery near Heathrow.
PM if you need more personal help.

nukiwi Apr 16th 2010 4:59 am

We brought our 10 year cat over in 2008 and I wondered if it would be too much for her so I took her to the vets for a full check up and he confirmed she was in very good health for her age and to go ahead and take her with us. I would definitely recommend getting the all clear from the vet first.

We used Golden Arrow and they were absolutely fantastic. We had to get out here ASAP so they boarded them and did all the tests for us too. Nothing was too much trouble and when both our cats arrived in Auckland, it was as if they'd just had a cat nap....they were not stressed at all.

EmandKen Apr 16th 2010 7:18 am

We brought our 2 cats aged 12 and 10 in Oct 2008, used Airpets at Heathrow and the cats were just fine and LOVE their new life here. We met them at Air NZ cargo at Christchurch Airport and they let out the biggest miaows you've ever heard when they saw us :wub: They were sleepy and hungry but otherwise exactly the same, just lovely!

We were worried too about them coping on the journey but knew we wanted to share our new life with our little furry family...So glad we did! :D

I echo others' comments about vet's advice. We quizzed ours and he gave them the all clear to go, I'd have a good chat with your vet just so you have all the facts.
Emma

Flower Pot Apr 16th 2010 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Highgate (Post 8499423)
Thanks for that Flower Pot. I'll look at Golden Arrow. Thanks for mentioning them. Yes she's in good health. Sleeps a lot and stone deaf - both of which will probably help her on the journey.
It would be good to hear how yours gets on in June. How much is it costing you?
BW

Ah bless, she'll probs have a nap and wake up in NZ non the wiser then! :D

My parents used Golden Arrow and couldn't recommend enough, we have been dealing with Steve who is great and really puts your mind at ease, this is the link:

http://www.goldenarrowshippers.com

Total cost for shipping Tony from London to Auckland with a weeks boarding at their cattery first (to get his vets stuff done and chill out from the car journey) is approx £1050.

This price includes all the vet stuff and defra report for flying, we only have to take him the vets once for a dewormer. They send you a full itinery and schedule, very professional and takes away the stress of sorting everything!

We just have to drop him off 2 days before we depart, a 2 hour car journey from Liverpool to their Shropshire base :)
Have been recommednded Feliway herbal spray for the car journey, helps them relax and he hates travelling :confused:

From the quotes we collected this was one of the most competitive and as they were so positively referred too we opted for them. A lot of other companies will only quote for the travel and you have to sort all the medical and paperwork side of things, which when we calculated the cost would work out more than the Golden Arrow quote who do everything for you! :thumbsup:

Let me know if you need any more info but I deffo recommend calling up Golden Arrow, they will give you lots of assistance and send out a free quote and info :D

Him and Me Apr 16th 2010 9:40 am

We used Ladyhaye back in December 09 and highly reccommend them....got a quote from Golden Arrow and although they sound impressive i found them to be a bit bossy about the time scale where has Ladyhaye were more relaxed and helpful

They are also on here under the name petshippers so you can ask them directly any questions/worries you might have about shipping your cat. this is their website www.ladyhaye.co.uk the ladies name is Sharon and she very helpful and friendly and takes time ro tell you what/when you need to do

Mine both arrived in very good health (8yrs & 7 mths) and didn't seem to bothered by the whole thing at all:thumbsup:

Leanne

Highgate Apr 16th 2010 11:26 am

My grateful thanks to all of you kind people who have responded. We feel so much better about it now and will follow up the helpful suggestions. If dear old Polly is still with us when we plan to go and the vet gives the OK we will all go to NZ. If for any reason we are advised Polly should not go we will not go either until she's no longer with us.
Cliff in Highgate, UK

pixi-dust Apr 16th 2010 12:04 pm

my wee old lady, Pixie, did the journey when she was 19. I had the vet check her and they reckoned she was as fine as any other cat! I'd had her all her life, there was no way i could leave her. She just went in September at the ripe old age of 24. She was diabetic for the last 3 years too. I reckon if your vet says shes ok then go for it.

shelloid Apr 16th 2010 7:19 pm

we're using Golden Arrow and so far they have been excellent.

Unfortunately our Gary cat is now sitting at Heathrow as she had already arrived at the airport and was waiting for her flight when it was decided that all flights would be cancelled due to the volcanic ash.
Now we have no idea when she'll fly or what it's like in the airport animal 'hostel'.

BEVS Apr 17th 2010 6:30 am

Blinkin' volcano as Stoof said.

Sorry to read that Shelloid. Gary must be well hacked off. :rolleyes:

I don't know about Golden Arrow but I do know that the cattery at Airpets was really good.

Ask Golden Arrow and please do let us know how it is.