Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Transportable Homes?

Transportable Homes?

Old Mar 15th 2009, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

lyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nice
Question Transportable Homes?

We have been looking at Trade Me for property types and ideas for a while and have been wondering what transportable homes are all about.

Our questions (to anyone who can answer) is are these similar to holiday chalet type accommodation that you would get in the UK? What is the life span of these homes? Are they any good in relation to comparing them to new build or existing homes in NZ?

Any feedback on experience of this would be great and muchly appreciated

Cheers
Old Mar 15th 2009, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transportable Homes?

Originally Posted by lyndanchris View Post
We have been looking at Trade Me for property types and ideas for a while and have been wondering what transportable homes are all about.

Our questions (to anyone who can answer) is are these similar to holiday chalet type accommodation that you would get in the UK? What is the life span of these homes? Are they any good in relation to comparing them to new build or existing homes in NZ?

Any feedback on experience of this would be great and muchly appreciated

Cheers
Most homes in NZ are transportable. In some cases they chop them in half and move then overnight. There is a yard in my home town like a car sales lot full of houses on stilts looking for new owners!! I saw one moved out of town and in now looking very fine all back together on a lovely lifestyle block. Do a google on 'House movers NZ' there are lots of them like 'Brittains' I think is one of them they both move and sell houses. Its a cheaper way to go than building new methinks. Nice section out of town $150k ish, house $60kish add on $50k for all improvements and re piling, water elctric etc. and its not too expensive
Old Mar 16th 2009, 12:14 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, if you are talking about what Genesis described, we've done this.
We have a small farm and put a relocated house onto a section of it for my mum and dad. It made sense as we have a very small one bedroom house ourselves and mum comes out a lot.

If you want any info on how to go about it I'd be happy to help and tell you our experience ( which was all good!)
Old Mar 16th 2009, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

lyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nice

Thank you Genesis I will google them and have a look.

Thank you Pixi Dust, could you tell me if these homes are prone to damp or do they come fully insulated?

Cheers

Lynda
Old Mar 16th 2009, 7:04 pm
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

lyndandchris Thanks for brighten up this foggy morning. Are they insulated hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaaaaaa

(you'll understand when you get here)!
Old Mar 16th 2009, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Sparky,

Glad to hear I brought a smile to your face and a frown to mine

I take it the answer is definately not then!!!!

Will I be needing thermals instead?
Old Mar 16th 2009, 7:25 pm
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

hey lindanchris

when we came here I thought "aww, nice they still have candlewick sheets"! Now I know why !!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and if you think sennibridge can get cold !!
Old Mar 16th 2009, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Sparky, electric blankets it is then!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 16th 2009, 7:31 pm
Who loves you, baby?

oh yes - and a choice as well.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 8:17 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

I've just realised you want to go to Whangarei, well you should be better off on the heat front as we're much warmer up here.

As for insulation - if you're talking about the 'second hand' houses some have and some dont. The one we got had underfloor and in the roof space but not in the walls, I would say it would be very very rare to get any in the walls up here! Our house has no wall insulation and we're fine in winter, it would be a different story further south though!

The company we used to move the house and do the foundations were Haines who are based in Whangarei and they were absolutely wonderful.
If you see a house advertised privately on TM you will still need a company to move it etc. For the most part the ones advertised there are private sales ( not all though) and won't include the move.

The house we got was tiny - 2 bedrooms - just a cottage, however it was in fantastic condition.
http://www.bookabach.co.nz/holiday_h...4340&kwt=acorn
( this is it here, I realise you'd most likely not be looking for something like this but it's to show you how nicely they come up with a bit of work)

We paid $46,000 for it through Haines and worked out that the vast majority of that was actually transport and foundation costs which were included. The house came to about $17,000!

You'll still need electricity and a septic tank if you're not on mains and also check that any land you buy to put it on has no covenants to say you're not allowed a relocated house as a lot do. That being said, if you can find out who put the covenants on ( previous owner of land, neighbours etc than you can often get it changed if you talk to them) Oh and of course you need council permission!

We spent about $35,000 on the electricity, septic tank, plumbing and new guttering and fencing. I did all the inside stuff myself and it was flipping hard work but saved us a lot!

It's definitely a cheaper way of getting a house onto land. The prices have gone up a lot in the last few years though, you used to be able to get amazing bargains as this wasn't a thing that people did so often.

Last edited by pixi-dust; Mar 16th 2009 at 8:23 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Pixi

Could you tell me what material the inside wall covering is and if it can be removed to be insulated and then replaced?

I appreciate the link to the cottage. It looks quite cute and cosy. I have got an idea now of what transportables are about.

Cheers

Lynda
Old Mar 16th 2009, 9:43 pm
A land far far away

Lynda it will all depend on what style of house you buy. There are a fair amount of older wooden houses around and these will tend to be just gib - plasterboard - which could be removed. Our own house is a kauri villa and the internal walls are gib over internal kauri boards ( with the weatherboard on the outside as well) which can also easily be removed, but it feels like taking your whole house apart and it's really just not that cold up here, in my opinion, but I came from the north of Scotland so maybe have an odd idea of what's cold or not!
If you get a newer one I don't really know as I don't have any experience of them, I assume gib too?? They don't seem all that big on actual plaster walls here.

Also if you do decide to go this route and go to one of the yards it is a little like a place where old houses go to die! Some are incredibly depressing and in really terrible condition. What we did was hold out and get one directly off it's original site that I presume the previous owners had sold to Haines. This way it had been lived in recently and hadn't been sitting in a yard for yonks. Some houses that have original brick chimneys have to have them removed for transport so this can leave a hole which is sort of open to the elements!
Old Mar 17th 2009, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

I agree with Pixidust. If you can find a good solid home that is in good condition it may be worth it, especially if you have found a nice block of land that didn't cost the Earth, but many relocatable homes are very old and need a great deal done to them before you move in. If you can do this yourself and have the time that's Ok. Otherwise you may find that you spend a great deal and end up with a renovated old home for a similar price as a new kitset home built to your specs. It pays to look at several different options first, as well as existing homes on real estate sites to get an idea of what you can get for your money.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pixi-dust View Post
The house we got was tiny - 2 bedrooms - just a cottage, however it was in fantastic condition.
http://www.bookabach.co.nz/holiday_h...4340&kwt=acorn
( this is it here, I realise you'd most likely not be looking for something like this but it's to show you how nicely they come up with a bit of work)

Gorgeous cottage pixi-dust
Old Mar 17th 2009, 9:20 pm
A land far far away

thank you!
I love it - sometimes I just go down there for a rest!!!

Kiwinow I totally agree, you need to find a good one. We were lucky, we'd been searching for months and got to know the lady at the office in Haines and it was her that persuaded us to come and look at the one we got as from the pics I wasn't sure - but she was right.

Initially it looks like an easy cheaper option, but you really do need to find the right house. I like the older ones as opposed to new as I love the character, the high ceilings and the lovely wood etc, but there is maintainance!