Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Transport / car advice

Transport / car advice

Old Apr 1st 2011, 1:27 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Transport / car advice

Originally Posted by Aucklander
[*]Applying make up & doing hair
I had a girlfriend once who told me she thought it was sexist that vanity mirrors where always on the passenger’s side only.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 1:33 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Transport / car advice

In New Zealand any car journey you can walk away from is considered a good one.
Originally Posted by janeyk
as other poster has said insurance tends to be cheaper here , WOf is about $50 or less takes 20 mins max
Japanese imports are in abundance or were before the earthquake we both drive 10 year old cars that have done 60k miles and are great for what we need, although they do not tend to come with instruction manuals, 2nd keys and radios that need the band
Would you want the Japanese manuals anyway? Haynes manual is what you want petal. You can swap the head unit as well if you have some wiring skills. On the lower FM frequencies you used to be able to pick up police bands .
Old Apr 1st 2011, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transport / car advice

What rubbish about automatics encouraging a lazy approach to driving thus causing accidents. Why do the drivers in the UK & Europe cling to old fashioned manual transmissions? I drove automatics in Australia for 32 years & 8 years in NZ as most people do. Are you also saying that Australia has a high accident rate also because of this preference? Also why don't Formula 1 race cars have manual transmissions?.

Accidents are caused by ignorance & lack of attention & the real culprits of inattention are these point listed below all of which I have witnessed other drivers doing.
  • Mobile phones calling & texting
  • Turning round to supervise children in rear
  • Applying make up & doing hair
  • Eating & drinking
  • Reading papers & maps
  • Getting dressed whist driving
  • Smoking & using cigarette lighter
  • Fiddling with sound system
  • Not leaving enough room for error
  • Failing to make use of rear & side vision mirrors

Last week on a motorway in Spain I saw a man changing gears, talking on his mobile & filling in paperwork on his lap all at the same time as he was driving at speeds of over 110 kph!
May I point out they are not 'accidents' but collisions. Accidents insinuate a minor, blameless, unimportant event IMO. Calling something an 'accident' when some pissed up, excess speeding knob has killed someone else because of shitty, uncontrolled driving is about as much an 'accident' as I am the popoe. I was plod we called them RTAs, I refered to them as RTCs.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 6:13 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
May I point out they are not 'accidents' but collisions. Accidents insinuate a minor, blameless, unimportant event IMO. Calling something an 'accident' when some pissed up, excess speeding knob has killed someone else because of shitty, uncontrolled driving is about as much an 'accident' as I am the popoe. I was plod we called them RTAs, I refered to them as RTCs.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Ex Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Genesis
Plod you should know better an accident is an accident until proved otherwise in a court of law & the word accident is what we lesser folk use to describe accidents.
With regard to the standard of driving in NZ that is a whole different ball game. To do it justice I would upset the Dept of Immigration, the Dept of Ethnic Affairs, the Dept of Political Correctness I would be accused of sexual discrimination, racism & probably be deported to the Middle East as a terrorist. But the simple truth is a lot of the people driving on the roads of NZ are from South Pacific Islands & have little or no experience driving manuals or automatics. As a Polynesian friend once said to me the first time in his life he had worn shoes was when he came to NZ, but having said that & having driven in most of the countries on the planet some of the biggest wankers I found were in the UK. Could this be because they are driving manuals or are they just plonkers behind the wheel of a car.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Plod you should know better an accident is an accident until proved otherwise in a court of law & the word accident is what we lesser folk use to describe accidents.
With regard to the standard of driving in NZ that is a whole different ball game. To do it justice I would upset the Dept of Immigration, the Dept of Ethnic Affairs, the Dept of Political Correctness I would be accused of sexual discrimination, racism & probably be deported to the Middle East as a terrorist. But the simple truth is a lot of the people driving on the roads of NZ are from South Pacific Islands & have little or no experience driving manuals or automatics. As a Polynesian friend once said to me the first time in his life he had worn shoes was when he came to NZ, but having said that & having driven in most of the countries on the planet some of the biggest wankers I found were in the UK. Could this be because they are driving manuals or are they just plonkers behind the wheel of a car.
Ah - now I understand. Here in Canterbury I find the driving standards and the courtesy of drivers very similar to back in Scotland and the rest of the UK. So is it because, shall we say, there is less ethnic diversity ?