British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Transport / car advice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/transport-car-advice-710688/)

showtime247 Mar 24th 2011 11:16 am

Transport / car advice

hi moving over to nz in may and have a few question about transport that i need answer please help

do you have to pay a road tax every year like in the uk?

is insurnace required?

is an mot required every 12month?

can u drive on full uk licenece?

why are the cars so expensive for the age of them?

any links to info websites on driving in nz would also be good

thanks in advance

selondon Mar 24th 2011 2:49 pm

Re: Transport / car advice

Road tax called registration. Insurance not compulsary but reccomended with some piss poor driving about. MOT is called WOF(warrent of fitness) every 6 months. UK licence ok for 1 year then NZ one required. Plenty of reasonable Jap imports about

janeyk Mar 24th 2011 10:46 pm

as other poster has said insurance tends to be cheaper here , WOf is about $50 or less takes 20 mins max
Japanese imports are in abundance or were before the earthquake we both drive 10 year old cars that have done 60k miles and are great for what we need, although they do not tend to come with instruction manuals, 2nd keys and radios that need the band expanding having said that they are not bad for the money look on trade me under dealer option for idea of what you can get for your money

RickAlbany Mar 24th 2011 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by showtime247 (Post 9261640)
hi moving over to nz in may and have a few question about transport that i need answer please help

is insurnace required?

thanks in advance

older cars are more expensive as they last longer here (no salt on the roads/snow etc) WOF (MOT) is every year until car is 6years old then every 6mths

Genesis Mar 25th 2011 1:45 am

is insurnace required?

thanks in advance

Google 'learning to drive in NZ'. That will get you loads of stuff. Buy the road theory book when you get here. Part of the test is a multiple guess thingy..there are a few REALLY wierd rules over here it is essential to know, like the giving way to traffic turning right across your path if you are turning the same way and them thin k its known as the 'give way rule'. Its shite and is being ruled out in 18-24 months or so. The other one is YOU MUST pullover to the left on the open road to turn right unless your way is clear to turn. This is so you don't get nailed as you wait to turn. Nearly all are roads are single carriageway. We are VERY, very backward in the driving/quality of roads dept. Do not buy any other car than a simple, dull Japanese import. They are cheap to run and go for ever. I would recommend an early Toyota Corolla.

cappuccino Mar 25th 2011 2:12 am

You don't need to do a test to convert your driving licence - just a form, eye test and payment.

Genesis Mar 25th 2011 3:17 am

Originally Posted by cappuccino (Post 9263435)
You don't need to do a test to convert your driving licence - just a form, eye test and payment.

Well that has changed eh? I would still advise that you avail yourself to said book as it may help save your life. The driving over here at best is shite. Drink drive abounds as does speeding. Head on collisions are the fave way to kill your fellow man/woman in NZ. Don't want to worry you but it is my biggest hate of life in NZ. The shitty, crappy, pissed up, tail gating, speed mad, impatient, discourteous, selfish, dare I say nigh on murderous drivers. I think that about covers it. I am glad I had the opportunity for a Friday rant. I feel much better now.

cappuccino Mar 25th 2011 3:39 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 9263497)
Well that has changed eh? I would still advise that you avail yourself to said book as it may help save your life. The driving over here at best is shite. Drink drive abounds as does speeding. Head on collisions are the fave way to kill your fellow man/woman in NZ. Don't want to worry you but it is my biggest hate of life in NZ. The shitty, crappy, pissed up, tail gating, speed mad, impatient, discourteous, selfish, dare I say nigh on murderous drivers. I think that about covers it. I am glad I had the opportunity for a Friday rant. I feel much better now.

Yup, changed in Sept 2008 if I remember correctly - certainly in time for me to swap without taking a test! Not all countries are eligible to do a straight swap though.

BEVS Mar 25th 2011 5:42 am

Linky HERE

You do not have to sit the theory test if:
  • you have a licence from Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom or the United States of America, and
  • your licence is current (or has expired less than 12 months), and
  • you are converting a car or a motorcycle licenc

When you think of that right hand rule.......:unsure:

sirplug Mar 26th 2011 7:53 am

is insurnace required?

thanks in advance

Just buy a big 4x4......that way, they think twice about cutting you up, pulling out on you, etc.....oh and get some stickers made....something to do with Judo or Karate to stick in the back window and then they don't tail gate!:p

KiwiDreamer Mar 26th 2011 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 9263497)
..... The shitty, crappy, pissed up, tail gating, speed mad, impatient, discourteous, selfish, dare I say nigh on murderous drivers. I think that about covers it. I am glad I had the opportunity for a Friday rant. I feel much better now.

..why don't you come off the fence and just say what's bugging you:thumbsup:
I have to say that over the last 3 years I've also found the general standard of driving in NZ to be atrocious. Not helped by the mad right turn rule that seems to confuse everyone. 31 years of driving and not one incident. Come to NZ and been hit twice.
One pet theory for poor driving standards is in my opinion due to almost all cars being automatic which I believe encourages a lazy approach to driving.
The danger driving here is that at first it seems very similar to the UK, this lulls you into a sense that all is well, it's not.

Genesis Mar 26th 2011 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by KiwiDreamer (Post 9265475)
I have to say that over the last 3 years I've also found the general standard of driving in NZ to be atrocious. Not helped by the mad right turn rule that seems to confuse everyone. 31 years of driving and not one incident. Come to NZ and been hit twice.
One pet theory for poor driving standards is in my opinion due to almost all cars being automatic which I believe encourages a lazy approach to driving.
The danger driving here is that at first it seems very similar to the UK, this lulls you into a sense that all is well, it's not.

Glad its not just me than!!!!

lozmond Mar 30th 2011 4:42 am

The only things I know regarding driving & cars in NZ are

Do not need to retake a test, just switch your license over.
Cars need a registration each year (similar to road tax)
Car needs a WOF (warrant of fitness) ever 6/12 months depentdant upon the cars age.
By law you do not have to have car insurance (pretty mad I know)

BEVS Mar 31st 2011 7:52 am

Then you answered your own original question eh?

I've noted the 3 posts luv.

Ex Aucklander Apr 1st 2011 1:09 am

Originally Posted by KiwiDreamer (Post 9265475)

What rubbish about automatics encouraging a lazy approach to driving thus causing accidents. Why do the drivers in the UK & Europe cling to old fashioned manual transmissions? I drove automatics in Australia for 32 years & 8 years in NZ as most people do. Are you also saying that Australia has a high accident rate also because of this preference? Also why don't Formula 1 race cars have manual transmissions?.

Accidents are caused by ignorance & lack of attention & the real culprits of inattention are these point listed below all of which I have witnessed other drivers doing.
  • Mobile phones calling & texting
  • Turning round to supervise children in rear
  • Applying make up & doing hair
  • Eating & drinking
  • Reading papers & maps
  • Getting dressed whist driving
  • Smoking & using cigarette lighter
  • Fiddling with sound system
  • Not leaving enough room for error
  • Failing to make use of rear & side vision mirrors

Last week on a motorway in Spain I saw a man changing gears, talking on his mobile & filling in paperwork on his lap all at the same time as he was driving at speeds of over 110 kph!