Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Transiting through LAX

Transiting through LAX

Old Jul 28th 2010, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute
Default Transiting through LAX

I fly in just under 3 weeks and my stop over is in LA (only a couple of hours so no celeb spotting!)
I've been trying to work out what this means in terms of hand luggage. I've read on Air NZ's site that I can only take one piece of cabin baggage if transiting through the US but does this mean one piece plus a personal item (handbag/laptop bag) or does it mean one piece only? I know one piece usually means one plus personal item but just want to be sure as the last time I travelled through the US I only had one piece in total so it wasn't an issue.
I've searched about on the web and checked LAX's website but keep finding conflicting info.
Has anyone transited through LAX recently that can tell me for definite what my allowance is?
Old Jul 28th 2010, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

gilly1020 has a brilliant futuregilly1020 has a brilliant futuregilly1020 has a brilliant futuregilly1020 has a brilliant futuregilly1020 has a brilliant futuregilly1020 has a brilliant futuregilly1020 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Transiting through LAX

Originally Posted by lisamct
I fly in just under 3 weeks and my stop over is in LA (only a couple of hours so no celeb spotting!)
I've been trying to work out what this means in terms of hand luggage. I've read on Air NZ's site that I can only take one piece of cabin baggage if transiting through the US but does this mean one piece plus a personal item (handbag/laptop bag) or does it mean one piece only? I know one piece usually means one plus personal item but just want to be sure as the last time I travelled through the US I only had one piece in total so it wasn't an issue.
I've searched about on the web and checked LAX's website but keep finding conflicting info.
Has anyone transited through LAX recently that can tell me for definite what my allowance is?
Hi Lisamct, a year ago I wondered the same thing and one bag means just one bag plus when you arrive at LAX you have to take everything with you, get off the plane then queue up for a couple of hours, we had nowhere to go and just had to sit in the corridor. I found Air New Zealand good to fly with and we flew with them to LA-Auckland-Hong Kong- London the only downside was the entertainment was good but by the time we were flying to Hong Kong we had seen everything.
The allowance to be honest I can't remember, both my OH and I brought 30L rucksacks on board with us.
Hope this helps
Gill
Old Jul 28th 2010, 6:55 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

We flew out to NZ via LA in Feb (Premium Economy) 2hrs touchdown spent in transit lounge, carried on 1x Hand luggage each plus I also had a handbag which you have to take with you into transit lounge. Returned at the end of May, also via Cook Is & LA (Economy, 4 hrs spent in airport & change of plane) carried on same ....1 cabin bag each + handbag.
HTH
B x
Old Jul 28th 2010, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

zoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud of

I fly in 2 weeks 4 days (not that I'm counting!) I found it really confusing too... I think it depends on the airline you are with.
Im with BA from Leeds to Las Vegas and I can have 1 piece of luggage and a handbag, but only 1 23kg suitcase.
From Vegas through LAX to Napier I can have the same cabin luggage and another 23kg suitcase, because it Quantas.
what a nightmare, Im going to plead ignorance and then cry if they try to charge me...
Old Jul 28th 2010, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zoexr
Im going to plead ignorance and then cry if they try to charge me...
Sounds like a plan to me I'm going to do the same with my hand luggage and practice my lone female traveller pathetic look just in case they stop me!
Old Jul 28th 2010, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

zoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud of

Sounds like a plan to me I'm going to do the same with my hand luggage and practice my lone female traveller pathetic look just in case they stop me!

I have trained my husband to stand well away from me when I have to try the 'female' thing of crying...
I can't believe it it nearly time to go! Are you getting excited yet? I'm still veering erractically between excitment and horror. Looking forward to filling my extra case in Vegas!
Old Jul 28th 2010, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

I have trained my husband to stand well away from me when I have to try the 'female' thing of crying...
I can't believe it it nearly time to go! Are you getting excited yet? I'm still veering erractically between excitment and horror. Looking forward to filling my extra case in Vegas!
It's so soon its finally sinking in thats its really happening! I'm still excited and terrified in equal measures, more periods of excitement than terror now though that things are being struck off 'The List'.
Enjoy Vegas, I've been twice and loved it. Each time I've gone I've taken an empty bag and brought it back full so I'm sure you'll have no trouble
Old Jul 28th 2010, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

I think the 'one piece only' is sth the budget airlines such as Ryanair and Easyjet do - I'm pretty sure with Air NZ the 'one piece' is additional to handbag/camera etc.

Transiting through LAX is not necessarily that bad - when I last did it, it was a very short distance from the plane to the transit lounge (free refreshments) - however the downside is queuing up to do the fingerprint checks - if you are Premium Economy you will be nearer the front of that queue though.

I understand if you have filled in the ESTA stuff online, you no longer have to complete a bunch of paperwork just to transit - you just do the fingerprint thing, photo and they look at your passport.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 3:19 am
Just Joined

kiwi_allens is just really nicekiwi_allens is just really nicekiwi_allens is just really nicekiwi_allens is just really nicekiwi_allens is just really nicekiwi_allens is just really nicekiwi_allens is just really nicekiwi_allens is just really nice

hi
we went through lax last october we have a 2 year old and had a moutain of "hand luggage" we had laptop, 2 big bags a small suitcase (full of toys and things to entertain our daughter) handbag, change bag and a car seat. also her pushchair was in the overhead lockers talk about nightmare. then our normal luggage was 5 suitcases and golf clubs. we were quite lucky cos we had a 2 year old we went to the front of the que to have our finger prints and things done and we were the first ones back on the plane. we flew with air new zealand.
i wouldnt worry too much about your hand luggage.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 6:58 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hey

I know blugger all about all this. We did it once in 1997. A long time ago now.

I just wanna say to lisamct and zoexr - All the very best. We all feel terrified and excited all at the same time. I hope that you find your home and settle well.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks BEVS, its getting SO close now...eek

I'm actually traveling business class, only thanks to the generous relocation budget supplied by my new employer otherwise I'd be in economy! I can take 2 pieces of hand luggage plus a personal item according to Air NZ but its the LAX rules that state one piece.
I'm going to send Air NZ a quick email but reckon I'll just risk the one piece plus and hope for the best!
Old Jul 29th 2010, 11:57 am
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

The rules did change re hand luggage when transitting thro LA....we were originally told we were allowed 2 pieces plus personal stuff for Prem Ec. it was reduced to one. At check in at LHR we were told that this was because all hand baggage was checked at LA....it wasn't on transit but it was on our return flight - longer stopover & change of plane.
If you're flying BC you'll be guided thro fingerprint stuff first and re-boarded first plus you get an increased weight allowance.
B x
Old Jul 29th 2010, 12:00 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I'm actually traveling business class, only thanks to the generous relocation budget
Posh trunks and even better
Old Jul 29th 2010, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

I'm actually traveling business class, the best!
Hahahaha!!! I've sneakily changed your qoute.... (I must be bored to find that as hilarious as I do...)

I've heard they catch any tears you cry in business class!
Old Jul 29th 2010, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hahahaha!!! I've sneakily changed your qoute.... (I must be bored to find that as hilarious as I do...)

I've heard they catch any tears you cry in business class!
I bloody hope so, I'm expecting massages, baths full of champagne and silver service by half naked, tanned, hot young men...thats what happens in business class right??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.