British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Transferring monies from UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/transferring-monies-uk-552501/)

Spawny67 Jul 31st 2008 10:18 pm

Transferring monies from UK

Hi to all. Just trying to find out peoples experiences of transferring money. Any recommendations greatly appreciated i.e. best bank, best interest rate,easy accessability to transfer from uk bank account to NZ one etc. Will be moving to Wellington October time:thumbsup:. Many thanks

Dawn

simonmarkellis Aug 1st 2008 12:54 am

Re: Transferring monies from UK

HIFX are good...

Wiz'n'Ton Aug 1st 2008 5:08 am

Originally Posted by Spawny67 (Post 6633650)
Hi to all. Just trying to find out peoples experiences of transferring money. Any recommendations greatly appreciated i.e. best bank, best interest rate,easy accessability to transfer from uk bank account to NZ one etc. Will be moving to Wellington October time:thumbsup:. Many thanks

Dawn

Best bank? Hmmm... NZ high street banks are all the same really. Westpac have been good to us.

Best interest rate? From all the finance firms falling over here, I'd suggest sticking it in your chosen bank's online saver acct as these generally have the best interest rate. No penalties for pulling out large chunks for house deposits, buying cars etc.

To move money from UK to NZ you need an NZ bank acct, a UK bank acct, and a firm to do the transfer. Hifx are meant to be good. I have up to now used Halo financial and they have always been reliable and prompt with each of the 3 transfers we've done.

Allow 3 days from start of transfer to finish. It's well easy, involved a couple of phone calls/ emails/ and a signed contract agreement and away you go.

Good luck! :)

PS: Something I didn't realise is that unless you already have a trading acct with your chosen UK based finance company, after you've been in NZ for a while no UK company can accept your business. It has to go through a company based where you are located. Something to do with fraud and money laundering apparently. Found this out whilst shopping around for a rate on Monday night.

Genesis Aug 1st 2008 8:12 am

Dawn

We found the best deal to be with Asb. Simply opened an account and delivered the cheque. We got the better rate with ASB. But punt around. The black horse bank has branches over here as does TSB..see who will do the best rate aye?

Spawny67 Aug 1st 2008 4:44 pm

Many thanks everyone.

Dawn

Dustybin Aug 1st 2008 8:49 pm

Dawn

Kiwibank.. because I like green!

Wiz'n'Ton Aug 1st 2008 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Dustybin (Post 6637243)
Kiwibank.. because I like green!

But only good if you're a Permanent Resident. Kiwi bank only deal with Kiwi's or close-to-vecoming-Kiwi's. We wanted to go with them but only had working holiday visas so it was off to Westpac we went.

newzealandplease Aug 2nd 2008 7:58 am

Tranzfers (yes z not s) have been good for me sending money the other way round, from NZ to UK whilst the house has been selling. Flat fee of $15 (though sure it has been $12 last few times), and so far reliable for the last six months.

Dustybin Aug 2nd 2008 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton (Post 6637479)
But only good if you're a Permanent Resident. Kiwi bank only deal with Kiwi's or close-to-vecoming-Kiwi's. We wanted to go with them but only had working holiday visas so it was off to Westpac we went.

Not true wiz. We were of no fixed abode on a tourist visa when we opened our account. :p

Can't get credit card till you have PR, but thats fair enough.

Wiz'n'Ton Aug 2nd 2008 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Dustybin (Post 6639855)
Not true wiz. We were of no fixed abode on a tourist visa when we opened our account. :p

Can't get credit card till you have PR, but thats fair enough.

Hmmm... on further questioning the missus we got turned away for a mortgage for the non-pr reason, not for opening a personal bank account.

My bad, and cheers for the straightener DB.