Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Transferring money to NZ

Transferring money to NZ

Old Sep 10th 2010, 6:57 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Transferring money to NZ

I just want to run this by you all to see if I'm on the right track.

I am planning to go to NZ next year but will keep all my bank accounts here open. I will be renting out my UK house and will have some income after expenses and mortgage. Not sure how long I will stay in NZ but at least a year (doing a recce and staying for free with family). After doing some research it looks like the best way for me is to open a NZ bank account and use HiFx or similar to move across sums of money in bulk when I need it. Is this the most cost effective way of doing it? I want to avoid bank charges as much as possible. I know the exchange rate is pants so I would only be transferring the bare minimum.

Does this look a sensible plan? Any recommendations on banks? Was thinking of ASB, but open to suggestions. Would have to be online and I notice they do a fee-free account if you bank online only called Streamline.

Advice much appreciated.

Thanks
Old Sep 10th 2010, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

DennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud of
Default Re: Transferring money to NZ

I guess if you got no salary coming in the ASB might be right
Kiwibank do a free online account as well
If your working and get over $2500 coming in then National Bank of Nz offer you a free account as well

I used UKforex to transfer money across, they were fine. They gave me a couple of free transactions so i paid no fees when transferring

http://www.ukforex.co.uk/

&

http://www.nationalbank.co.nz/person...omaccount.aspx
Old Sep 11th 2010, 8:41 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks DennisBergkamp, very helpful. The advantage of National Bank seems to be that you can apply on line. I have an NZ address so no problem there.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jmh
I just want to run this by you all to see if I'm on the right track.

I am planning to go to NZ next year but will keep all my bank accounts here open. I will be renting out my UK house and will have some income after expenses and mortgage. Not sure how long I will stay in NZ but at least a year (doing a recce and staying for free with family). After doing some research it looks like the best way for me is to open a NZ bank account and use HiFx or similar to move across sums of money in bulk when I need it. Is this the most cost effective way of doing it? I want to avoid bank charges as much as possible. I know the exchange rate is pants so I would only be transferring the bare minimum.

Does this look a sensible plan? Any recommendations on banks? Was thinking of ASB, but open to suggestions. Would have to be online and I notice they do a fee-free account if you bank online only called Streamline.

Advice much appreciated.

Thanks
hi you have to have at least, $3000 in your ASB account to get free banking, even with streamline if you go under $3000 they will charge you $3 a month service fee
Old Sep 11th 2010, 7:28 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by concretepump
hi you have to have at least, $3000 in your ASB account to get free banking, even with streamline if you go under $3000 they will charge you $3 a month service fee
I hadn't spotted that. Must read the small print. I'm going to have to get used to paying for banking I guess. Not easy when you are not used to it.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

rogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
...I have an NZ address so no problem there.
I used www.privatebox.co.nz to get a New Zealand street address while I was still in the UK.

When I arrived in Auckland, I dumped my bags at the hotel and then found a coffee shop to have my first Flat White while I waited for Post Shop on Queen Street to open. I activated my Kiwibank bank account and ordered my IRD tax number at the same time using it.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 9:01 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rogercruse
then found a coffee shop to have my first Flat White
LOL I'm going to have to learn how to order a coffee too!
Old Sep 12th 2010, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,
We were/are in much the same position as you. We have a rental property in the UK - rent is paid into our UK Nationwide account and there is a bit left over each month after mortgage is taken out etc. We also have a lump sum of cash still in the UK, not really sure when to bring that across but as we do not need it at the moment I am willing to wait to see what the excahnge rate does.

We opened our ASB bank account from the UK and use it everyday day here, we both have a ASB Streamline account for our everyday stuff like wages going in and supermarket/elec/petrol etc going out - we also have a FastSaver account each that we transfer any 'leftover' money into at the end of the month.

We also use HiFx for transfer of monies from the UK - we have always found them very good and offering good rates.

Good luck with whatever you decide.