British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Transferring Money to NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/transferring-money-nz-421474/)

jasonandrea Jan 25th 2007 10:21 am

Transferring Money to NZ

Hi
We currently bank with Barclays and although we have already set up a New Zealand bank account with Westpac, due to the current exchange rates we are looking to keep our money in our UK account until the exchange rate goes up but are unsure of how we can transfer the money from the UK account to the NZ account, when we are in NZ (aprox March 07). can anyone advise?

Thanks

karonious Jan 25th 2007 10:46 am

Re: Transferring Money to NZ

Originally Posted by jasonandrea (Post 4323955)
Hi
We currently bank with Barclays and although we have already set up a New Zealand bank account with Westpac, due to the current exchange rates we are looking to keep our money in our UK account until the exchange rate goes up but are unsure of how we can transfer the money from the UK account to the NZ account, when we are in NZ (aprox March 07). can anyone advise?

Thanks

Hi there,
might be worth checking the Really useful thread as this topic has come up before. Or 'search' the threads and something should surface. Can't help you myself as StevieB got left to deal with all the technical stuff as I landed the job! And I can't ask him as he is sleeping the sleep of the just - or very deaf, as I can hear a dog barking as he hasn't sworn yet!!.

Littletoe Jan 25th 2007 11:38 am

Hi

Thanks

Hello

You will need to check with Barclays. We banked with Halifax at first and they simply couldn't do it. We're with HSBC we were Iif I remember correctly)able to, but the charges are pretty mad. If they can do it, its simply like a standing order, you give them the bank details and they'll transfer it. Try to do it in one swoop though because of the charges.

Hope this helps!

Nikki x

poppets Jan 25th 2007 7:04 pm

Hi

Thanks

search for HIfix, we transfer our money over with them & its really easy
if you need anymore info shout & i'll ask hubby (thats one of his jobs)

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ighlight=hifix this is the thread that may help

jasonandrea Jan 25th 2007 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by poppets (Post 4325803)
search for HIfix, we transfer our money over with them & its really easy
if you need anymore info shout & i'll ask hubby (thats one of his jobs)

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ighlight=hifix this is the thread that may help

Thanx, we have set up an account with Moneycorp, don't no if you have heard of them.

Spacecake799 Jan 25th 2007 7:27 pm

Hi

Thanks

Hi,
I also bank with Barclays and have left my money in the UK. All you need to do is Phone a Barclays International number and they will transfer the money into your west pac account in a couple of days. It costs between 25 and 35 pounds depending on how quick you want the money. Let me know if you want the phone numbers. carole:D

jasonandrea Jan 25th 2007 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Spacecake799 (Post 4325848)
Hi,
I also bank with Barclays and have left my money in the UK. All you need to do is Phone a Barclays International number and they will transfer the money into your west pac account in a couple of days. It costs between 25 and 35 pounds depending on how quick you want the money. Let me know if you want the phone numbers. carole:D

Thanks Carole,

when we are next off work we will call in the local branch...

Jason

sky Jan 26th 2007 1:24 am

Originally Posted by jasonandrea (Post 4325809)
Thanx, we have set up an account with Moneycorp, don't no if you have heard of them.

Yes I have, we trasferred money over with them and they were very good :)

leedge Jan 26th 2007 1:39 am

You could open a sterling foreign exchange account with Westpac (or whichever other NZ bank you're using) which would allow you to delay actually exchanging it to NZ dollars until the rate is more favourable - it's a lot easier to do when both accounts are in NZ.

The interest rates aren't as good as NZ dollar accounts - they try to match UK interest rates.

With luck you won't do what we did - the settlement date on the house we bought here just happened to coincide with the strongest NZ dollar level for 13 months :frown:

Laurence