Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Transferring money?

Transferring money?

Old Nov 20th 2005, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Winnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud of
Question Transferring money?

Hi
Can anyone tell me the best way to transfer money from the UK to NZ please? I'm due to move there at the end of december and will have the proceeds of my house sale in the uk bank. Is it better to open an account once in NZ and transfer it across? Any info will be welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Winnie
Old Nov 20th 2005, 10:01 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transferring money?

Originally Posted by Winnie
Hi
Can anyone tell me the best way to transfer money from the UK to NZ please? I'm due to move there at the end of december and will have the proceeds of my house sale in the uk bank. Is it better to open an account once in NZ and transfer it across? Any info will be welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Winnie

Using licenced banks at both ends of the transaction is safest.
I think you can set up an account with ASB Bank if you visit http://www.migrantbanking.co.uk

Jeremy
Old Nov 20th 2005, 10:09 pm
Citizenships collector...

urbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Winnie
Hi
Thanks in advance.
Winnie
Hey Winnie,

We are planning on using Tranzfers. They are easy to use and have heard a lot of good comments on them. Have used them a good number of times to transfer money from the UK to NZ and had lots of questions before doing it, and they have been very helpful. There is a one off fee of £7, no matter how much you transfer to NZ.

Here's their website for info: http://www.tranzfers.com/

There's a thread on them as well on the forum:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329356

There are a few other money transfer companies as well like HFIX. As Jeremy was saying too, you can open an ASB account from the UK (I think they have a base in London) and transfer money from there.

Jen
Old Nov 21st 2005, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by urbanproject
Hey Winnie,

We are planning on using Tranzfers. They are easy to use and have heard a lot of good comments on them. Have used them a good number of times to transfer money from the UK to NZ and had lots of questions before doing it, and they have been very helpful. There is a one off fee of £7, no matter how much you transfer to NZ.

Here's their website for info: http://www.tranzfers.com/

There's a thread on them as well on the forum:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329356

There are a few other money transfer companies as well like HFIX. As Jeremy was saying too, you can open an ASB account from the UK (I think they have a base in London) and transfer money from there.

Jen
Hi, just had a quick look at tranzfers, they are offering 2.46 at the mo, HIFX at the same time are offering 2.49. Got no idea about HIFX charges, may be worth checking it out before you do your exchange.

http://www.hifx.co.uk/
Old Nov 21st 2005, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Winnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud of

Thanks everyone, shall look into everything you've recommended. It's really mind blowing, I'm just used to putting my wage into the bank and paying bills, nothing complicated!
Thanks once again.
Winnie
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by planty
Hi, just had a quick look at tranzfers, they are offering 2.46 at the mo, HIFX at the same time are offering 2.49. Got no idea about HIFX charges, may be worth checking it out before you do your exchange.

http://www.hifx.co.uk/
HIFX don't make any charges; they make their money from the margins of buying and selling. From my experience, the actual rate you get is one or two cent sles than the "wuik check" on their website - still a good service though