British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Trainee Nurse advise (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/trainee-nurse-advise-658234/)

azakeen1980 Mar 7th 2010 2:50 pm

Trainee Nurse advise

Hi there, I will qualify as a registered nurse in a years time and intend to apply for a full time post here in the UK and work for approx a year. I will apply for a PR visa 6 months in to this time so that fingers crossed :fingerscrossed: I will have a years experience behind me. Does anyone think that this will be enough experience for me to gain employment or are they wanting more/less. Please help, I'm confused.:confused:

Your help will be appreciated

Thanks

Lindsey

bga Mar 7th 2010 6:59 pm

Re: Trainee Nurse advise

Hi Lindsay, good luck with your training etc - my wife is a nurse and got into Nz using "Tonix Health Recruitment".. they sorted the interview and paid for her flight and accommodation for 2 weeks when we got here - http://www.tonix.co.nz/ - worth getting in touch with them, they'll sort ya :) - Alan

Newfies Mar 7th 2010 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by azakeen1980 (Post 8401463)
Hi there, I will qualify as a registered nurse in a years time and intend to apply for a full time post here in the UK and work for approx a year. I will apply for a PR visa 6 months in to this time so that fingers crossed :fingerscrossed: I will have a years experience behind me. Does anyone think that this will be enough experience for me to gain employment or are they wanting more/less.

A year seems to be enough at the moment. Doing more wouldnt harm but I think a years experience would be minimum.

Good luck

RobDon Mar 7th 2010 8:11 pm

I was employed as a "New Grad" nurse straight out of uni with no experience other than my training. ;)
Not sure if this is still possible to do, :o
also I didnt use an agency I contacted the DHB`s direct. HTH :thumbup:

azakeen1980 Mar 8th 2010 6:54 am

Thanks for the replies, very helpful.

BGA I will contact Tonix and see what they say, sounds pretty good. What kind of accomidation to they put you up in?

RobDon how is things been going for you being newly trained and all that. Do you have any good advice. Long way to go yet but still exciting.

Thanks again:thumbup:

bevissa65 Mar 8th 2010 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by azakeen1980 (Post 8401463)
Hi there, I will qualify as a registered nurse in a years time and intend to apply for a full time post here in the UK and work for approx a year. I will apply for a PR visa 6 months in to this time so that fingers crossed :fingerscrossed: I will have a years experience behind me. Does anyone think that this will be enough experience for me to gain employment or are they wanting more/less. Please help, I'm confused.:confused:

Your help will be appreciated

Thanks

Lindsey

I qualified Feb 08 and was advised by HealthAlliance (recruitment consultants) to gets a years experience. I did and began the process as soon as the year was up. Got a job with no problem and am loving it:thumbsup: Good luck. Bevissa

bga Mar 8th 2010 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by azakeen1980 (Post 8403296)

BGA I will contact Tonix and see what they say, sounds pretty good. What kind of accomidation to they put you up in?

RobDon how is things been going for you being newly trained and all that. Do you have any good advice. Long way to go yet but still exciting.

Hi - accomodation.. we sorted our own accomodation and they paid the reciept :)

RobDon Mar 9th 2010 5:58 am

Originally Posted by azakeen1980 (Post 8403296)

You have a preceptor/mentor for a year who is there to help you, should you need it, but you still practice independantly.
We went to a couple of NZ expo`s and I was offered a couple of jobs before I had even qualified. :thumbup: and I think it might still be possible to find a job as a newly qualified nurse. ;)