Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Trades/general advice for newbie

Trades/general advice for newbie

Old Mar 17th 2016, 3:45 am
Just Joined

niall555 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trades/general advice for newbie

Hi there, Irish guy from NI, currently in Canada - planning the big move to NZ, possibly long term if it works out. I found this forum and it seems to be a great resource.

Any construction tradespeople have advice about getting started, any dos/don'ts? (I'm an experienced commercial metal stud wall/ceiling fixer/drywaller etc with foreman/supervisor experience).

Is Christchurch my best option to get established?

Any general advise from other 20/30 somethings who traveled over solo? (I don't know a single person in NZ!)

Thanks
Old Mar 17th 2016, 5:31 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trades/general advice for newbie

Hello, welcome to BE.

Other posters will probably be along presently who may be able to answer your questions better than I can.

In the meantime, there's the search function.

Here's a starter pack of links for you which may be interesting rather than useful.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/new-z...light=Canstaff

http://britishexpats.com/forum/new-z...t=Christchurch

http://britishexpats.com/forum/new-z...tchurch+Thread

http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...tchurch+Thread

Last edited by Snap Shot; Mar 17th 2016 at 5:49 am. Reason: links
Old Mar 18th 2016, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

I can only give you advice for settling as a person not related to work as I don't work in your area.

Don't expect to make friends straight away, find clubs and sports teams to participate in and if you're looking for a flat make sure to meet them first. I'd advise you get a holiday rent for the first couple of weeks you're here to make sure you check out places to live before you live in them.

Christchurch is a lovely place to live and yes there is still A LOT of construction going on so fingers crossed something comes up for you.
Old Mar 18th 2016, 9:16 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Niall, there's a guy called Paddy on here from Ireland, living in Chch and working in trades. Hopefully he'll be along soon to answer your questions 😊
Old Mar 19th 2016, 5:20 am
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by niall555 View Post
Hi there, Irish guy from NI, currently in Canada - planning the big move to NZ, possibly long term if it works out. I found this forum and it seems to be a great resource.

Any construction tradespeople have advice about getting started, any dos/don'ts? (I'm an experienced commercial metal stud wall/ceiling fixer/drywaller etc with foreman/supervisor experience).

Is Christchurch my best option to get established?

Any general advise from other 20/30 somethings who traveled over solo? (I don't know a single person in NZ!)

Thanks
Hey Niall I've lived in Christchurch for the last 3 years and now have my residency. I'm from county Derry myself. I travelled here on my own and only knew one person here before I came. As for work in construction, Christchurch is flat out with work and you'll find it relatively easy to find work. I emailed employers my C.V before I came and in a cover letter explaining when I would arrive and my intentions etc. I had about 6 employers wanting to interview me when I arrived in NZ and one company who I'm currently with offering me employment before I even left.

There is a good number of Irish and British here now and more than likely you'll make friends through your time in construction as most companies will have a good number of Irish and British working for them.

Christchurch is a pretty cool place to live. Nice, dry and a pretty sunny climate with 7-8 months shorts and t-shirt weather and while the winters are quite cold in the early mornings and nights it will be much milder than Ireland nevermind Canada, you also have two ski fields only an hour drive from Christchurch. You really are spoilt for choice with mountains, Ski fields, beaches and bays. Night-life has improved massively since I arrived with a few clubs finally opening, when I first arrived the city centre was literally dead and night-life wad confined to the outer suburbs which was ok at best. Things are only getting better here aswell and with rent cheaper than it was a year ago you can pick up a room to rent for around $150 a week. Anything else you wanna know just message me
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 2:21 am
Just Joined

Thank you all for the responses, I got a little side tracked.

As Pom Chch predicted, Paddy's take on things seems like a great help, as it seems we are both coming from a similar background and circumstances, I'm a culchie Derry man too, so your comparisons would mostly ring true with me too I reckon.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 2:56 am
Just Joined

Apparently I can't send a PM yet; so Paddy - would you say from your experience is Chch the way to go or are there any reasons you regretted not doing Auckland or somewhere instead?

Also from your experience do you need a car right away in Chch for work etc? Ballpark cost and timeframe from getting there to get on the road?
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 7:39 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Niall you should now be able to pm.
all that information is very useful for anyone looking to come over so it being given on the open forum would be very useful