British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   TradeME is silly!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/trademe-silly-793218/)

M_and_M Apr 7th 2013 5:07 pm

TradeME is silly!!

I tried to create a user account, so that I can contact a person advertising a rental property that I have not found listed anywhere else. There are very limited rentals that are furnished in Invercargill.

I cannot contact the advertiser without being a member of the site. So, I signed up, using my New Zealand temprorary address. It said it would send me an email to verify, which I never got.

When I contacted the support they said I cannot use trade me from abroad!!

So, basically I am forced to deal with other rental agents elsewhere because they have this stupid ass rule.

Cross.com.:demon::angry_smile:

I leave on FRIDAY!!

AndyEvs Apr 7th 2013 5:47 pm

Re: TradeME is silly!!

Do you just need the email of the people with the rental?

M_and_M Apr 7th 2013 5:50 pm

The email isn't available you can only contact thru the site

AndyEvs Apr 7th 2013 6:35 pm

Well I can contact them, or maybe a member on here from invercargill with a trademe account? Only 6:30am here right now, you can wait for someone closer if you like or send me message you want to send them and I'll send it on your behalf.

MOSO Apr 7th 2013 7:09 pm

Can you use a generic email account such as gmail and then it shouldn't matter where you are?

M_and_M Apr 7th 2013 7:19 pm

I tried that - Gmail account and Invercargill address and it was still blocked. When I contacted support to ask why they said I had logged on from an IP address outside Nee Zealand which was not permitted.

I went on to tell her how stupid her rules were because all I would do is simply render myself homeless, and wait till I arrived (which clearly I wouldn't!) or take my business elsewhere to look for property.

She promptly unblocked me!! (but I am still blocked from selling till I arrive, which is fair enough!)

DandJMay Apr 7th 2013 7:26 pm

Do you want to PM me the address and I can scope it out for you if you like???

BEVS Apr 7th 2013 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by DandJMay (Post 10645187)
Do you want to PM me the address and I can scope it out for you if you like???

What a star you are :starsmile: Good idea to scope the place for M and M just in case, what with winter coming on.

ellenarosemary Apr 7th 2013 9:22 pm

Download PrivitizeVPN, its free and it hides your location (IP address) - also handy if you want to watch UK telly when your abroad, etc etc

If you have any problems, let me know and hopefully I can help.

GoingIn2011 Apr 7th 2013 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by ellenarosemary (Post 10645317)
Download PrivitizeVPN, its free and it hides your location (IP address) - also handy if you want to watch UK telly when your abroad, etc etc

If you have any problems, let me know and hopefully I can help.

Don't take this the wrong way - I am not picking on you.

It still gives you an IP address just not one from the country you are in - normally the UK so you can watch iplayer. You would need one that gave you a NZ IP address.

Also, these things can be viewed as being indications of criminal activity so I would be careful about how you use them. If the authorities were looking for suspicious cyber activity then this is one thing they will look for. It's not likely to happen - I know plenty of people who have used an IP spoofer from time to time for the purpose of watching tv - all I am saying is that IP spoofing (which is what you are doing) is never an indication of something benign - whether that's watching tv that technically you are not supposed to watch, or launching cyber attacks. You will be viewed with the same kind of suspicion until proven otherwise.

Case in point - the number of prosecutions that have recently hit the news regarding people using bittorrent clients to share music. Now firstly they did not realise that in using such a client you are uploading as well as downloading which means that you can be more easily prosecuted, but also it was commented on by the prosecuting body that:
having such software on your PC was an indication of intent to commit copyright theft.

Oh my goodness! In my profession, we use P2P file sharing for distributing open source/free software. However, the authorities - in this case, some copyright enforcement body - are tarring everyone with the same brush. This is not IP spoofing, but the same could well apply.

Be very careful about using an IP spoofer...

Bellasmum Apr 8th 2013 1:18 am

Originally Posted by M_and_M (Post 10645179)
I tried that - Gmail account and Invercargill address and it was still blocked. When I contacted support to ask why they said I had logged on from an IP address outside Nee Zealand which was not permitted.

I went on to tell her how stupid her rules were because all I would do is simply render myself homeless, and wait till I arrived (which clearly I wouldn't!) or take my business elsewhere to look for property.

She promptly unblocked me!! (but I am still blocked from selling till I arrive, which is fair enough!)

That sounds a tad odd. There are Aussie traders on trademe. If other offers of help don't work out pm me and I will help you.

You could post a link to the house here and then someone could email the owner on your behalf.

downunderpom Apr 9th 2013 3:39 am

Originally Posted by GoingIn2011 (Post 10645443)
You will be viewed with the same kind of suspicion until proven otherwise.

....it was commented on by the prosecuting body that: having such software on your PC was an indication of intent to commit copyright theft.

However, the authorities - in this case, some copyright enforcement body - are tarring everyone with the same brush.

Guilty until proven innocent.

And they're not 'authorities'. The Tribunal is the 'authorities'.

Next thing you know, they'll be going around arresting every man in sight. After all, he has the equipment (and by their way of thinking this demonstrates the intent) for sexual assault. :blink:

GoingIn2011 Apr 9th 2013 11:20 am

Originally Posted by downunderpom (Post 10648151)
Guilty until proven innocent.

And they're not 'authorities'. The Tribunal is the 'authorities'.

Next thing you know, they'll be going around arresting every man in sight. After all, he has the equipment (and by their way of thinking this demonstrates the intent) for sexual assault. :blink:

To be warned is to be forearmed, or whatever the nonsense is...
It's the thin end of the wedge my friend. There is no defence when what you're doing has a hint of being questionable. Are you willing to take the risk? Remember big brother is watching everything you do. It's only a lack of compute power that is preventing "him" (whoever he is!) from making the connections. Well blow me, look at what computers can do these days. Imagine what they could do in the future. Really, what is stopping the nice plod (or whomever) from asking said IP spoofing providers for records of all the real IPs that they have been hiding. And then following up with the ISPs of the IPs in question. Well, quite apart from the question of jurisdiction, there is the small matter of resourcing the effort. Well, there is no reason why that could not be automated as a giant data mining exercise. In principle, we will eventuality reach a point of singularity where all this data can computationally be mined for connections between data points at the drop of a hat. Just like that... and even the naughty TV watchers will be held to account for their misdemeanours. Just saying like...

PS I quite enjoyed writing that response - not sure why. May be I'm just a bit sad. What a depressing thought!

moonie2011 Apr 9th 2013 5:35 pm

I had the same problem but when I emailed them they said I could have 4 weeks restricted use just prior to us going over. I have to email them when I know a travel date

Originally Posted by M_and_M (Post 10644994)
I tried to create a user account, so that I can contact a person advertising a rental property that I have not found listed anywhere else. There are very limited rentals that are furnished in Invercargill.

I cannot contact the advertiser without being a member of the site. So, I signed up, using my New Zealand temprorary address. It said it would send me an email to verify, which I never got.

When I contacted the support they said I cannot use trade me from abroad!!

So, basically I am forced to deal with other rental agents elsewhere because they have this stupid ass rule.

Cross.com.:demon::angry_smile:

I leave on FRIDAY!!