Tow bars

Old Aug 15th 2007, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tow bars

Does anyone know if tow bars in NZ are the same as the UK? We have a bike rack (by Thule)that attaches to a tow bar and was wondering if it will fit an NZ tow bar. Are the ball heads in NZ the same size as UK? Also will the electric plug for our back board light on our bike rack fit the NZ socket?
Old Aug 15th 2007, 6:24 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tow bars

The balls are the same, but the plug's not.
However, if you don't want to change it, you can get an inline converter (like a travel plug adapter) from Repco or Supercheap.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 6:27 am
Banned

Colin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really nice

Answer is no they are not the same unless you get one custom made.

BUT

You may find your bike rack fits better because the Tow Balls screws into the Tow bar from above. There are two Tow ball sizes but most cars are fitted with the standard as in the UK.

You lighting socket has two option, either you replace it with the Flat Aus/NZ fitting or you simply use and adapter.

I will send you a picture if you want?
Old Aug 15th 2007, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Colin in the middle
Answer is no they are not the same unless you get one custom made.

BUT

You may find your bike rack fits better because the Tow Balls screws into the Tow bar from above. There are two Tow ball sizes but most cars are fitted with the standard as in the UK.

You lighting socket has two option, either you replace it with the Flat Aus/NZ fitting or you simply use and adapter.

I will send you a picture if you want?
Thanks Colin a picture would be of help
Old Aug 15th 2007, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
The balls are the same, but the plug's not.
However, if you don't want to change it, you can get an inline converter (like a travel plug adapter) from Repco or Supercheap.
Thanks Haze and Steve - we were thinking that we may have packed it and we may have to scrap it :-(
Old Aug 15th 2007, 8:22 am
Banned

Colin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really nice

Just to make you feel better my parents brought over my old Cycle Rack which attachs to the hatchback of a Citreon BX in fact any car.

Make you laugh I got myself another Citreon BX out here and realised that the Cycle Rack did not fit because of the design of rear spoiler. Two types of spoiler this happens to be the type the rack would not fit over

Dont fit the other car either because that also has a spoiler

Old Aug 15th 2007, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Colin in the middle
Just to make you feel better my parents brought over my old Cycle Rack which attachs to the hatchback of a Citreon BX in fact any car.

Make you laugh I got myself another Citreon BX out here and realised that the Cycle Rack did not fit because of the design of rear spoiler. Two types of spoiler this happens to be the type the rack would not fit over

Dont fit the other car either because that also has a spoiler

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...F1985Small.jpg
Thanks much appreciated