British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   tourist attack (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/tourist-attack-830666/)

SWANA Apr 7th 2014 7:04 am

tourist attack

it is so nice how money has been raised for the two tourists who were brutally attacked

BEVS Apr 7th 2014 9:18 am

Re: tourist attack

I have approved this for the time being , after shunting it into a siding whilst I eat my evening meal, so you all get the chance to have a gander and think about this hard edge subject matter from a newbie looking to make a decision as to whether or not to return to NZ .

Seriously, bad stuff happens. It happens here in NZ and should be acknowledged.

I realise that we can all do the tit for tat thing. It happens in the <insert country of choice> but perhaps it is possible to chat about this event without descending to a load of old pointy bows and arrows.

I live in hope.

MrsFychan Apr 7th 2014 9:21 am

the world over there are good natured people

sr71 Apr 7th 2014 9:50 am

I think the golden rule is never to hitchhike, genuinely surprised people still do, especially young attractive females, in this day and age.

Snap Shot Apr 7th 2014 10:45 am

As a gesture of goodwill, $14,000 has been raised by the public and given to the victims. I don't know how much their medical bills have come to. However, I hope this does not mean there will be 'copy cat' attacks as part of a scam.

I don't mean they will be attacked like this whilst in nz again btw !

Tom1983 Apr 7th 2014 12:22 pm

Isn't the chap arrested for this, also in trouble for a murder in Christchurch?

Obviously happened elsewhere mind, no such thing as crime here - the press commentators will tell you that.

jmh Apr 11th 2014 8:34 am

Originally Posted by sr71 (Post 11207996)
I think the golden rule is never to hitchhike, genuinely surprised people still do, especially young attractive females, in this day and age.

It is certainly a risk, but it's part of the culture here too. I guess it's that age old juggle between safety and freedom.

I got lost on a walk and ended up on a footpath on a very hot day with a little Yorkie who was panting rather alarmingly. I saw a van coming round the bend and stuck my thumb out. A very nice man with a big dog in the back pulled over and gave me a lift to my car. Mind you I'm not young and attractive any more so maybe it's safer for me.:p

gazmac Apr 11th 2014 8:33 pm

As tragic as this is I dont beleive it reflects the nature of people in general, per capita NZ is most likely on par with everywhere else, only in countries with 70M+ we dont hear about every crime, violent or otherwise.

There may very well be trauma issues for the two women involved that could have a detrimental effect for years to come, we dont really know yet. Giving them a few bob to carry on their travels, in NZ or anywhere shows the true spirit of the general public.

nzneville Apr 11th 2014 8:53 pm

I have a local friend (female) who hitch-hikes from Judgeford (Lower Hutt) to Levin two or three times a week, and she has done this for years and never, and I say never, had the slightest problem. She always seems more interested in where the best place is coming out of Levin to hitch her lift home. AND, she is an attractive 40 something year old.

For every casualty, there are probably thousands who hitch-hike safely in New Zealand.

Bo-Jangles Apr 11th 2014 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by nzneville (Post 11215170)
I have a local friend (female) who hitch-hikes from Judgeford (Lower Hutt) to Levin two or three times a week, and she has done this for years and never, and I say never, had the slightest problem. She always seems more interested in where the best place is coming out of Levin to hitch her lift home. AND, she is an attractive 40 something year old.

For every casualty, there are probably thousands who hitch-hike safely in New Zealand.

The difference being she probably knows, is known by or is related to half of the local population and she'll likely be well aware of who all the local odd bods are.

sr71 Apr 12th 2014 1:38 am

AND, she is an attractive 40 something year old.

Surely an oxymoron?

TommyLuck Apr 14th 2014 4:07 am

there are probably thousands who hitch-hike safely in New Zealand.

I keep meaning to pick up a hitch-hiker, but the problem is when I'm making a journey of distance they're not there. When I'm popping over the North Shore they want to get way up north and I don't see the point in taking them 10 mins up the road ... ?

Although a while back I did see a couple at an entrace of the South-Western (SH16) heading West with a sign with the word "Whangarei" emblazoned on it ... :confused:

They were on the wrong motorway, heading in the wrong direction.

If you're going to hitch-hike at least get the right road, heading in the right direction!!

nzneville Apr 14th 2014 4:14 am

I saw a couple of young hitchikers this morning on the outskirts of Upper Hutt and they were really lucky as the driver who picked them up was heading to Napier, the destination on thier card.

Best place for the pick up (in the nicest sense of the term) was the Caltex service Station where they could ask around the motorists if anybody was hading that way.

Tom1983 Apr 14th 2014 4:57 am

I wonder if the OP is this writer for The Press

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff-nation/...ome-back-to-NZ

Bo-Jangles Apr 14th 2014 8:02 am

Originally Posted by TommyLuck (Post 11217684)
Although a while back I did see a couple at an entrace of the South-Western (SH16) heading West with a sign with the word "Whangarei" emblazoned on it ... :confused:

Not so funny actually, SH16 is widely advertised as an alternative route northwards on busy weekends; if you stay on it you end up at Wellsford.