Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Total newbie looking for a bit of help

Total newbie looking for a bit of help

Old Nov 6th 2017, 2:18 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 145
WildfireV2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Total newbie looking for a bit of help

Hey guys,

I've been looking through some threads, but most of it, as with the other forums are mainly situations for established families.

Just to give a bit of context, I'm 28, British and currently on the two year IEC visa in Toronto.

I'm looking at going to Auckland next year in May when my visa runs out, for a year & maybe longer if I can afford it.

I thought about trying to go there without having a job lined up like I did when went from the UK to Canada, but this time I'd rather be more prepared. I currently work on a 1 year contract downtown with a US media firm that are also in Auckland so I figured that trying to do some sort of transfer through them would be the best bet.

But really I'd just like to know basic things for now like:

- What is the best site to use for finding a place to rent? (similar to kijiji)
- Is renting right near the core of the city viable? I currently pay $1100 in a 2BR condo in DT toronto right near all the action & love it, I don't want to have to commute in.
- the visa says you need $350 per month of stay, but realistically if you live in a normal place in the city, how much would you need without a job to survive for upto 3 months?
- On the topic of the visa, how does it work? As a brit you can just activate it and go? There must be some sort of arduous 6 month process to go through? If I was to start making headway into it now, would I be able to activate it for next may beforehand?

How would you compare the cost of living & lifestyle to Toronto?

One of the things I love about Toronto is there's always something to do, so many great bars within walking distance and plenty of other activities.

Oh also what about flights, is there a certain website which is better for finding cheaper flights? They're all over a grand, no matter if I fly from toronto, or go home first and fly from manchester.

Thanks for the help in advance
WildfireV2 is offline  
Old Nov 6th 2017, 8:07 pm
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 201
A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Total newbie looking for a bit of help

For rentals (and anything else you need) use TradeMe. It has a rentals section if you want to get a place by yourself and also a flatmates section if you want to share a house or flat. A room in a houseshare would probably be around NZ$200 a week in the inner suburbs I think.

You could get a flat or flat share right in the CBD itself or I would recommend the inner suburbs just to the west of the CBD - Ponsonby, Grey Lynn, Freemans Bay, maybe Herne Bay too. Ponsonby Road is basically a long strip of cafes, restaurants, bars etc and the surrounding streets have lots of nice old villas, some of which will be house shares. You are also only 5-10 minutes drive to the CBD.

Other suburbs close to the CBD are Mt Eden, Eden Terrace, Parnell, all nice areas but not as much nightlife as Ponsonby and surrounds.

I can't compare the cost of living, I don't know what it's like in Toronto!

Good luck, I arrived here at the age of 30 (also from Manchester), with just a backpack, no ties etc and had a great few years living and going out around the areas I mentioned. I liked it so much I'm still here 16 years later
A Rush And A Push is offline  
Old Nov 6th 2017, 8:16 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 145
WildfireV2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Total newbie looking for a bit of help

Originally Posted by A Rush And A Push View Post
For rentals (and anything else you need) use TradeMe. It has a rentals section if you want to get a place by yourself and also a flatmates section if you want to share a house or flat. A room in a houseshare would probably be around NZ$200 a week in the inner suburbs I think.

You could get a flat or flat share right in the CBD itself or I would recommend the inner suburbs just to the west of the CBD - Ponsonby, Grey Lynn, Freemans Bay, maybe Herne Bay too. Ponsonby Road is basically a long strip of cafes, restaurants, bars etc and the surrounding streets have lots of nice old villas, some of which will be house shares. You are also only 5-10 minutes drive to the CBD.

Other suburbs close to the CBD are Mt Eden, Eden Terrace, Parnell, all nice areas but not as much nightlife as Ponsonby and surrounds.

I can't compare the cost of living, I don't know what it's like in Toronto!

Good luck, I arrived here at the age of 30 (also from Manchester), with just a backpack, no ties etc and had a great few years living and going out around the areas I mentioned. I liked it so much I'm still here 16 years later
Cheers mate

and damn, 16 years? what was the process of permanent residency like for you?

Right now my plan is just to go there for a minimum of a year for the work in a different place, while working on skills to get back to Canada long term.

But plans can always change.

I'll definitely be having a look on the TradeMe site... so you think the Ponsonby area is best for a young-er single guy that's looking for the nightlife
WildfireV2 is offline  
Old Nov 6th 2017, 8:52 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 201
A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Total newbie looking for a bit of help

Originally Posted by WildfireV2 View Post
Cheers mate

and damn, 16 years? what was the process of permanent residency like for you?

Right now my plan is just to go there for a minimum of a year for the work in a different place, while working on skills to get back to Canada long term.

But plans can always change.

I'll definitely be having a look on the TradeMe site... so you think the Ponsonby area is best for a young-er single guy that's looking for the nightlife
Yep, I reckon around Ponsonby is a good bet. The CBD obviously has nightlife but is a bit of a concrete jungle. Ponsonby has a bit more character/charm but is only 5 mins from the CBD. All the suburbs circling the CBD are nice but Ponsonby has the most going on. I used to work there and a lot of people in the media/arts etc live around there. It's one of the more expensive areas to live but that's because it's close to the city and has a bit of life.

Residency was pretty easy back in 2004 when I got mine. It's a points based system and I had enough points due to my age, having a degree and having a letter from my employers saying they couldn't find a Kiwi for my job. Immigration has tightened up quite a lot since then and I almost certainly wouldn't get residency if I was applying now.
A Rush And A Push is offline  
Old Nov 7th 2017, 4:50 am
  #5  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Auckland
Posts: 459
Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Total newbie looking for a bit of help

Originally Posted by WildfireV2 View Post
... so you think the Ponsonby area is best for a young-er single guy that's looking for the nightlife
The areas in the city can change in their nature quite drastically over a few short years, but right now, Ponsonby is popular with young (and not so young) adults on a social night out with a large selection of places to eat and drink in.

It was cheap and gritty place to live forty years ago but things have changed.
Clappy is offline  
Old Nov 7th 2017, 3:41 pm
  #6  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 145
WildfireV2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Total newbie looking for a bit of help

Originally Posted by Clappy View Post
The areas in the city can change in their nature quite drastically over a few short years, but right now, Ponsonby is popular with young (and not so young) adults on a social night out with a large selection of places to eat and drink in.

It was cheap and gritty place to live forty years ago but things have changed.
Sounds good either way tbh haha

So what do you guys know about the working holiday visa as a brit? I mean when I got the IEC visa for canada i had to apply at a certain time and then go through a 5 month process before I got the letter that I needed.

With the NZ visa, I've heard its easier in the sense that you can just get it whenever, but surely there's a few months of processing stuff

And if I wanted to get it but not activate it until may next year, is that possible?
WildfireV2 is offline  
Old Nov 8th 2017, 8:54 am
  #7  
BE Forum Addict
 
escapedtonz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Narangba QLD
Posts: 1,511
escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Total newbie looking for a bit of help

Originally Posted by WildfireV2 View Post
Sounds good either way tbh haha

So what do you guys know about the working holiday visa as a brit? I mean when I got the IEC visa for canada i had to apply at a certain time and then go through a 5 month process before I got the letter that I needed.

With the NZ visa, I've heard its easier in the sense that you can just get it whenever, but surely there's a few months of processing stuff

And if I wanted to get it but not activate it until may next year, is that possible?
Normally it would be very easy and only take a matter of days up to a couple of weeks.
As a Brit you have the option of either a 12 month or 23 month WHV. There is an unlimited number available and you can apply anytime.
It allows you to work for up to 12 months and study for up to 6 months. You cannot accept a permanent job. If you go for the 23 month visa you must also supply medical certificates. If you go for the 12 month visa you can change it to a 23 month one later but you can still only work and study for the same totals above. It is an individual visa so if you wish to travel with someone else they would have to qualify and apply for their own visa.
You must activate the visa within 12 months of it being approved by crossing the border in NZ.
You must have sufficient funds to live on for the duration of your stay and either have an onward travel ticket out of NZ or have sufficient funds to pay for one.
To go for the UK WHV you must be a British Citizen and of course have a British passport.

This is the only issue I foresee for you :-
You permanent place of residence must be in the country named in the WHV, so in your case the United Kingdom, however you currently live in Canada, so in my opinion....and it's only my opinion, you are ineligible for the UK WHV because you don't currently live in the UK and you cannot go for a Canadian WHV because you aren't a Canadian Citizen.
Applying for a UK WHV whilst temporarily visiting another country is fine...its all about where you are Ordinarily Resident but you've been in Canada 2 years.

This extract is cut from INZ's website for the WHV :-

"we may ask you to provide documents that prove your usual place of permanent residence. Examples include:
letters sent to your home address
references from your employer."
"It’s ok to apply while you’re temporarily visiting another country. You will be considered ordinarily resident in your country of citizenship if you have been away for less than two years prior to making a visa application."
escapedtonz is offline  
Old Nov 8th 2017, 3:38 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 145
WildfireV2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Total newbie looking for a bit of help

Originally Posted by escapedtonz View Post
This is the only issue I foresee for you :-
You permanent place of residence must be in the country named in the WHV, so in your case the United Kingdom, however you currently live in Canada, so in my opinion....and it's only my opinion, you are ineligible for the UK WHV because you don't currently live in the UK and you cannot go for a Canadian WHV because you aren't a Canadian Citizen.
Applying for a UK WHV whilst temporarily visiting another country is fine...its all about where you are Ordinarily Resident but you've been in Canada 2 years.

This extract is cut from INZ's website for the WHV :-

"we may ask you to provide documents that prove your usual place of permanent residence. Examples include:
letters sent to your home address
references from your employer."
"It’s ok to apply while you’re temporarily visiting another country. You will be considered ordinarily resident in your country of citizenship if you have been away for less than two years prior to making a visa application."
So basically as long as I apply for the visa before my leaving date in may, then i should be fine?

Seen as I'll have been in Canada under two years (IEC currently about 18months in) and I still have digital copies of all my same documentation that got me on the IEC visa anyway.

I'll make sure I apply for this soon then, although, how soon do you have to provide proof of funds? Is it like the IEC visa where you have to provide proof of funds at the airport on arrival?

Because right now I don't have enough in my bank for the 23 month visa, but i definitely will by may.
WildfireV2 is offline  
Old Nov 9th 2017, 4:43 am
  #9  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 243
Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Total newbie looking for a bit of help

I don't think they check how much wonga you have in your account before granting visa, I think it's just something they can ask you on arrival. I've never heard of anyone being checked this on this visa though before, happy to be proved wrong though. Just apply asap and you'll be fine then if not beyond 2 years in Canada. Bit like the 'No working more than 1 year on your visa' - they have much bigger fish to fry than check that
Timmy Chch is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.