Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Torbay-Orewa-Brown's Bay

Torbay-Orewa-Brown's Bay

Old Feb 9th 2008, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Torbay-Orewa-Brown's Bay

We are coming to NZ next week for 1 month visiting family in Papamoa B.O.P. We took a week out when we came last year and went to South Island. We would like to go further North this time. Has anyone got an info on the places mentioned-things to see & do?

Last edited by Margaret Parkinson; Feb 9th 2008 at 2:50 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Torbay-Orewa-Brown's Bay

May I ask why you choose those 3 places?

Torbay and Browns Bay are not places I would expect to be high priority on a tourists list.
Orewa has a awsum beach so all the activities that go along with that.

I am sure some one else will add all sorts of things.........
Old Feb 9th 2008, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

As the prev poster said torbay and browns bay are nice suburbs of auckland, not many touristy thins to do. Orewa is a little town in its own right, reminds me of Lytham St Annes!!!

Can I suggest a little further north and rent a bach for a week at Omaha beach near Matakana, absolutely loads to do, lots of vineyards, and gorgeous countryside and beaches. Just my 2 cents

http://www.matakanacoast.com/
www.matakanavillage.co.nz

Last edited by owen; Feb 9th 2008 at 9:49 pm. Reason: being rude about lytham!
Old Feb 9th 2008, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Torbay-Orewa-Brown's Bay

Originally Posted by jueinnz
May I ask why you choose those 3 places?

Torbay and Browns Bay are not places I would expect to be high priority on a tourists list.
Orewa has a awsum beach so all the activities that go along with that.

I am sure some one else will add all sorts of things.........
Because we are both in our seventies we do not want long car journeys we found if very tiring last time. We have friends who emigrated to NZ 45 years who live in Christchurch. Our daughter lives in Papamoa and we drove down to see them when we were there last year. They suggested The Bay/North Shore area being somewhere we could have as a base during the day and be able to have a stroll in the evening for a meal & a drink etc. Not having been there that's why I asked for advice.

Last edited by Margaret Parkinson; Feb 9th 2008 at 9:56 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 9:48 pm
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

If you're over for a month then Bay of Islands,90 mile beach, Cape Rianga could be a possibility! ps 70's not that old!
Old Feb 9th 2008, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by owen
As the prev poster said torbay and browns bay are nice suburbs of auckland, not many touristy thins to do. Orewa is a little town in its own right, reminds me of Lytham St Annes!!!

Can I suggest a little further north and rent a bach for a week at Omaha beach near Matakana, absolutely loads to do, lots of vineyards, and gorgeous countryside and beaches. Just my 2 cents

http://www.matakanacoast.com/
www.matakanavillage.co.nz
Thanks for that, if we wanted to go to Lytham we could stay at home although we could feel at home there I suppose. Not that I don't like Lytham but as you can see its just down the road from us. In fact my brother used to live there. Will take your advice and move further north.

Last edited by Margaret Parkinson; Feb 9th 2008 at 10:26 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Yotty
If you're over for a month then Bay of Islands,90 mile beach, Cape Rianga could be a possibility! ps 70's not that old!
I refuse to be old, my mind says 21 but body says different. Obviously we are coming to see our daughter and family so will be spending some time with them but we cannot travel 12,000 miles without seeing something of NZ. We are thinking of taking a week out like last time but don't want to travel as far. That's a good idea I will look up Cape Rianga to see what they have to offer.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 10:44 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a helluva drive north from Orewa and the roads aren't good. The Cape is the sort of place that's ok for a day trip but just not worth the drive IMO, perhaps an organised tour would be a better idea if you're set on going that far north and its far less tiring.

There's more to do in Orewa, it's flatter and less busy than Torbay/Browns Bay. Orewa also has more of a holiday atmosphere whereas the other places are more suburban and mudane, though pleasant enough.

The views around North Shore/Orewa are every bit as good as the Bay of Islands IMO, go to Shakespeare Park and you'll see what I mean. The only place that may warrant venturing further north for would be a visit to Waitangi and the treaty grounds.

The other place you may want to look at is the Coromandel, quite hilly though but plenty of things to do in the towns and villages there and lots of holiday accommodation around.

Wherever you decide to go though bear in mind that the roads often aren't as good as you're used to in the UK, the motorways (where they exist) are ok but there aren't that many of them.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

Tooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud of

Your choices --Browns Bay ,flat easy walk along both High Street and the new beach walk behind the shop--Torbay bit hilly-altho Long Bay beach may attract-Orewa very flat "genteel" suburb.Very long sweeping beach lovely when tide out. Cannot direct you for accommodation,but I sincerely hope you have a very pleasant time wherever you stay.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tooanfrom
Your choices --Browns Bay ,flat easy walk along both High Street and the new beach walk behind the shop--Torbay bit hilly-altho Long Bay beach may attract-Orewa very flat "genteel" suburb.Very long sweeping beach lovely when tide out. Cannot direct you for accommodation,but I sincerely hope you have a very pleasant time wherever you stay.
I think this is the sort of place we are looking for. When we get there we can book into a motel or something and then it from there. Thanks.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson
I think this is the sort of place we are looking for. When we get there we can book into a motel or something and then it from there. Thanks.
Hi Margaret

I live in Torbay and its a lovely area for a visit. When we first arrived last year we started at Orewa (a short 20 min car ride from here). Again, its a lovely place to visit.
Im sure a nice stroll along Long Bay beach in the morning would have you meeting lots of locals. Browns bay is a lovely little town. It has a great beach and plenty of places to stop and eat. Also enjoy an ice cream from Penguino.
Try, www.brownsbay.co.nz

You should easily find a motel for when your here.

Good Luck and enjoy your holiday

Carole
Old Feb 10th 2008, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson
Because we are both in our seventies we do not want long car journeys we found if very tiring last time. We have friends who emigrated to NZ 45 years who live in Christchurch. Our daughter lives in Papamoa and we drove down to see them when we were there last year. They suggested The Bay/North Shore area being somewhere we could have as a base during the day and be able to have a stroll in the evening for a meal & a drink etc. Not having been there that's why I asked for advice.
Ah hah it makes more sence when put like that now I understand So yep its all a good idea especially a good base for all the Auckland touristy things to do.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

CCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud of

Hi Margaret, Try this http://www.jasons.com/New-Zealand/Or...-motor-lodges/. Plenty of motels in Orewa to choose from. We have stayed here http://www.jasons.com/New-Zealand/Or...us-Orewa-Beach. A bit of luxury for one or two nights! Its within easy walking distance to shops, retaurants and the beach. Enjoy your trip. Carol.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 8:54 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CCGM.IN.NZ
Hi Margaret, Try this http://www.jasons.com/New-Zealand/Or...-motor-lodges/. Plenty of motels in Orewa to choose from. We have stayed here http://www.jasons.com/New-Zealand/Or...us-Orewa-Beach. A bit of luxury for one or two nights! Its within easy walking distance to shops, retaurants and the beach. Enjoy your trip. Carol.
Hi Margaret,

My mum has just left having made the trip on her own aged 74! And she did find it quite hard going.

She went on a 3 week tour of both islands with Kirra coach tours and raved about it.

When we came on our reccie we really loved the Coromandel (about 2 hours drive from Papamoa) and lots of pretty places there, but also loved Northland - Pahoia, Russell, waitangi etc.

Where in Papamoa is your daughter? We're in Royal Palms.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Hi Margaret,

My mum has just left having made the trip on her own aged 74! And she did find it quite hard going.

She went on a 3 week tour of both islands with Kirra coach tours and raved about it.

When we came on our reccie we really loved the Coromandel (about 2 hours drive from Papamoa) and lots of pretty places there, but also loved Northland - Pahoia, Russell, waitangi etc.

Where in Papamoa is your daughter? We're in Royal Palms.
We have thought about Cormandel as well. My daughter & family are in Oreti Crescent.