Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Torbay opinions please

Torbay opinions please

Old Oct 19th 2015, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Torbay opinions please

Originally Posted by Justcol
Im confused, what area of torbay are you looking at that doesnt have views of rooftops??Have a rummage around on google maps street view, all you'll see are houses, houses houses and more houses.from memory (i've not been there for a couple of years) the only real bit greenery is the 10m wide foreshore in front of the beach you might want to consider the Lucas Heights, coatesville, Paremoremo triangle, much nicer, much greener but not really much further away
Ah right. I was responding to Bearskin's comment about their view but I do ramble. Good idea about google maps; obvious but I hadn't thought of that. Thanks too for the other suggestions.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Looking out my window now I can see palms, greenery, tangelos, etc., still doesn't make me want to stay in Auckland though.

I don't think Torbay is quite the cafe scene at all. Better with Browns Bay for that. However even BB is looking somewhat tired these days due to lots of shops closing.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitesand
I don't think Torbay is quite the cafe scene at all. Better with Browns Bay for that. However even BB is looking somewhat tired these days due to lots of shops closing.
Browns Bay town centre is substantially bigger than Torbay - most people wouldn't realise that is as big as Takapuna, as it doesn't have the mall and the bigger stores. I absolutely refute your opinion that 'lots of shops closing' - in fact about 20 new ones have opened in the last year or two, including a large interiors store that has high street and beachfront openings (O.W.L), an interesting antiques store on the high street, some more high street cafes such as Coffee Club and Muffin Break (to go with the Starbucks and the 30 odd other independent coffee shops). The new butcher next to Countdown is excellent quality - he moved from the 'Nosh' on Constellation drive. I've taken the family down to the new(ish) Sal's Pizza twice since it opened. Have seen new stuff like hairdressers opening too.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Google earth pro is free now, well worth the approx 2 mins download. Can see 3d terrain views from everywhere now (not just from the road with street view!)
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timmy Chch
Google earth pro is free now, well worth the approx 2 mins download. Can see 3d terrain views from everywhere now (not just from the road with street view!)
Didn't know that, cheers. Will have a look.