Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

top tips for renting in NZ

top tips for renting in NZ

Old Feb 23rd 2008, 2:46 am
Family landed :)

newzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nice
Default top tips for renting in NZ

I've never rented in the UK never mind NZ. Any tips/gotchas for a renting newby? Have to pull my finger out next week and get something sorted. Looking for something in Hairini or Greerton area.

What do you do in terms of references? I don't have any as I've never rented.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 3:54 am
Memetchi

cypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to all
Default Re: top tips for renting in NZ

Originally Posted by newzealandplease
I've never rented in the UK never mind NZ. Any tips/gotchas for a renting newby? Have to pull my finger out next week and get something sorted. Looking for something in Hairini or Greerton area.

What do you do in terms of references? I don't have any as I've never rented.
Bit of a thread here. We didn't have any references and were never asked for any. We were accepted for every place we applied for so we must have checked out OK.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 3:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute

I shouldn`t worry too much about references as they generally are used to pomms turning up with no history. As far as areas go, Greerton and Hairini are 10-15 mins from us. Personally , I wouldn`t go for Greerton and I dont know Hairini that well. If you do find one that interests you, drop me the address and I`ll check it out for you.
Ash
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 4:04 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

We didn't have any references either, and it was no biggee. Best advice I can give is to get any fixed-term period to be as short as humanely possible, with it changing to periodic after that.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash1
I shouldn`t worry too much about references as they generally are used to pomms turning up with no history. As far as areas go, Greerton and Hairini are 10-15 mins from us. Personally , I wouldn`t go for Greerton and I dont know Hairini that well. If you do find one that interests you, drop me the address and I`ll check it out for you.
Ash
From my experience of Greerton, its fine there, just Merivale you should avoid!
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 8:55 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Top Tip.

Make sure you only agree to a periodic tenancy. Nothing else. Periodic

Next tip

Pay your bond to Tenancy Services. No one else !

The Main Tip

Please read here.

Finally

I doubt they will care about refs. They are after your $$$$$.

If you have an animal , then offer extra security by way of an extra bond . This extra bond is paid to Tenancy Services.

I've lost count of the amount of times I read of someone being stung by fixed term leases. Six months or so +.
Some have to find another tenant or are liable for the rent.
some leave early , then get stung for having to maintain the garden.

Read the fine print . Make sure you go through the tenancy agreement with the landlord. Take pictures. Make sure to what you agree to by way of carpet cleaning , curtains and the garden.

Finally ---- Haggle. You can often reduce the rent this way.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Most importantly don't book anything you haven't seen beforehand and don't book from the Uk.

Only take a three weeks notice rental as this allows you to chop and change.

See lots of properties from lots of different estate agents - don't take the first one you see unless it is really good.

Do use the local papers as well as estate agents as most advertise in these as well and you get a true idea of prices from these papers.

Don't believe estate agent hype that there is not much around - there is always lots arouond. Don't settle for something because you are scared there may be nothing else.

Goo luck!
Old Feb 24th 2008, 12:59 am
Memetchi

cypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Make sure you only agree to a periodic tenancy. Nothing else. Periodic
Well, it depends on your situation. A fixed-term tenancy gives you some security in an environment where a lot of landlords are selling up. Also it gives you more leverage if repairs need to be done, because the landlord can't just boot you out for making a fuss (not strictly legal but it happens). If you are not sure whether you will like the house or the neighbourhood, or you may need to move for work, then by all means go for a periodic tenancy, but I wouldn't reject a fixed-term tenancy out of hand, just make sure you know what you are getting into.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 5:56 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

I went for a year's fixed tenancy as I really needed the security of knowing I couldn't be chucked out on a whim.
I hadn't seen the house but Nicci Littletoe came and looked at it for me - bless her. Once she said she would be happy to live here herself - that was good enough for me
I appreciate it doesn't always work out for everyone but so far it has been a good move. The letting agent sees to any repairs that need doing and he has been very helpful all round. Even invited me over to his house to use the landline and internet to set my electricity/phone/broadband up.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 9:32 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Yes. That is a fair comment. It does give security for a fixed period provided there are no hidden clauses.