British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Top tips..a la Viz comic (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/top-tips-la-viz-comic-534653/)

Genesis May 6th 2008 11:42 am

Top tips..a la Viz comic

For a house with less condensation leave your average house fan on during the night in your 'crying window' prone area. The action of the circulating air greatly reduces condensation. Run a few dehumidifiers around your house during the night time, you can get then 2nd hand off www.trademe.co.nz

Mitsubishis are the best..I got 6 dehumidifiers....all differenet and Mitsi are the top bananas.

Any more top tips.

PS State Ins blew the AA out of the water this year for home and contents. Give 'em atry.

PPS the average fan is only 50 watts or 1 X 20th of a unit

Dehumids are roughly betwixt 200-400 watts.

Get cheap nite rate leccy from Genesis Electric ( no relation alas )..save sus a FORTUNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lardyl May 6th 2008 11:46 am

Re: Top tips..a la Viz comic

Stopping breathing when you are pulling the zzzzz's will cut down on your condensation problem as will letting the kids sleep in the garden overnight as a "treat" :rofl:

Bo-Jangles May 6th 2008 11:55 am

Stop leaving bowls of water out for the cats and dogs and let them lick the windows instead. :rofl:

Browner_ May 6th 2008 12:01 pm

Save on expensive windows by looking out through the gaps in your walls. Boarding up your windows with planks also deters thieves, who think you are too poor to rob.

lardyl May 6th 2008 12:06 pm

:rofl: I can see this thread is gonna be short and sweet!

top-tip just cover the outside of your windows with pukeko manure and the inside with empty feijoa husks, then

.....................you'll never worry about the condensation, well not until you've cleaned your windows.........and you'll be too busy chopping wood for the rest of the winter !! :lol:

I_Will_Freckle May 6th 2008 3:16 pm

Save on your electricity bill by limiting your use of the internet.

:o

j19fmm May 6th 2008 5:30 pm

Oh well Genesis, it started out helpful!:rofl:

Maz May 6th 2008 6:51 pm

Noooooooooooooo keep it going! :D I love Viz, and used to subscribe to it in the US :lol: and these top tips are brill!

I'm not imaginative enough to think of any myself, but love reading them. Carry on people! :D

lardyl May 7th 2008 3:04 am

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle (Post 6314279)

isn't the PC PSU fan that the low power fan Genesis/Meridian/Vector was referring to? :p

I_Will_Freckle May 7th 2008 5:02 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 6316719)
isn't the PC PSU fan that the low power fan Genesis/Meridian/Vector was referring to? :p

Hey - that's a thought!

lardyl May 7th 2008 5:16 am

Originally Posted by j19fmm (Post 6314759)
Oh well Genesis, it started out helpful!:rofl:

it should be helpful still as it shows those of you back in Blighty just how boring life/work is over here :lol: :rofl: :p

Browner_ May 7th 2008 5:49 am

Top Kiwi Tip

Save on those annoying Warrant of Fitness costs, by not taking your car for one at all.

Then, you can totally remove your exhaust from the vehicle, thereby preventing it rusting, whilst giving your neighbours the impression you own a formula one car.

BEVS May 7th 2008 7:46 am

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle (Post 6314279)

Save on your electricity bill by
..... letting the mice gnaw through your wiring.

This sounds like a good NZ game.....

save money on firelighters by burning the dried mouse droppings.

cappuccino May 7th 2008 8:32 am

remove all your fuses from the fuse box and then you don't have to worry about saving money on electricity cos you wont have any

Or for extravagance, just keep the light circuit fuse in and then huddle round the light bulb for warmth.

Bo-Jangles May 7th 2008 9:00 am

Shoppers: Take one grape to the till. It won't register on the low-tech, insensitive scales so you will get it for free. Repeat this procedure 100 times or so and you have yourself a free bunch of grapes.

Don't waste money on expensive iPods. Think of your favourite tune and hum it. If you want to change tracks, simply think of another song you like and hum that instead.

Domestos is an ideal substitute for vodka and far less pricey. It will give any cocktail a bit of "oomph."

Save money on expensive personalised car number plates by simply
changing your name to match your existing plate. Ms CZX 426, Auckland.

Don't throw away the filters from the end of your cigarettes. Save them up and within a few years you'll have enough to insulate your roof.