British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Top tips for Cheap Flights (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/top-tips-cheap-flights-508596/)

ned Jan 23rd 2008 8:41 pm

Top tips for Cheap Flights

Has anyone got any :confused:

newzealandplease Jan 23rd 2008 9:03 pm

Re: Top tips for Cheap Flights

Book early it seems. I've just been 'bent over' to the tune of £988 for a one way. Got a return for around £750 last Sept!

Persephone Jan 23rd 2008 9:05 pm

Grow wings...?

Seriously though, not sure they exist apart from in the ads!
And even if they are cheap then you get hammered by all the taxes:(

[someone who has just paid £300 for a flight to the middle east, half of which were taxes and feeling a little bitter!] :mad:

Time I had a holiday though so had to just bite the bullet as they say.

Probably cheaper if you are able to be flexible about your departure dates and don't choose to travel around a bank holiday - the obvious answers I'm afraid!:D Not that I've followed my own advice , see above!

P18PPS Jan 23rd 2008 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by ned (Post 5830184)

When we came over a couple of years ago we got quotes off the internet sites, then went into our local travel agent and shoved the quotes under their nose - they then did some haggling directly with the airlines and their head office and they managed to beat the internet prices by about £50 each (there were 4 of us travelling so quite a saving)... it's definately worth a try!

happynz Jan 23rd 2008 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by P18PPS (Post 5830384)
When we came over a couple of years ago we got quotes off the internet sites, then went into our local travel agent and shoved the quotes under their nose - they then did some haggling directly with the airlines and their head office and they managed to beat the internet prices by about £50 each (there were 4 of us travelling so quite a saving)... it's definitely worth a try!

^ Great idea! Also, try having a squiz at these two sites for possible airfare bargains...
Try www.kayak.com or www.sidestep.com for good flight deals.

brussels_sprout Jan 23rd 2008 9:56 pm

Avoid flying in December, mid July to End August (from UK), book direct with airline from their website.

Smoggies 6 Geordies 0 oops

ned Jan 23rd 2008 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout (Post 5830582)
Smoggies 6 Geordies 0

sorry you have lost me there :confused:

Wessa Jan 23rd 2008 10:57 pm

Ned mate, try "directflights.com". pm me ned and i'l dig the number out for you (they are in manchester). We just booked our two week trip with them, 3 adults and 1 child= £3,050. These flights are: outward, HRW- singapore- christchurch. Return, chch- Auck-singapore-(1 night stop in singapore including 2xrooms +hotel fees) HRW. You need to ask for "Sally". A cracking lass, sorted us right out with dates we gave her. We was given her number by Nici from this forum. Im at work now so i dont have the number. :huh:

Gary (the Hammers fan) :thumbup:

irnbru14 Jan 23rd 2008 11:06 pm

Don't necessarily book online, the information thata travel agent will get is bang up to date, the stuff online isn't. especially if you want a specific route at a specific time.

I'd always recommend Austravel, used them for my RTW trip and to get my flight out here as I had a bit of a convoluted route to take which wasn't what any of the websites would give me! If you go to their website you can leave a message and they will call you back :)

Margaret Parkinson Jan 23rd 2008 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by P18PPS (Post 5830384)
When we came over a couple of years ago we got quotes off the internet sites, then went into our local travel agent and shoved the quotes under their nose - they then did some haggling directly with the airlines and their head office and they managed to beat the internet prices by about £50 each (there were 4 of us travelling so quite a saving)... it's definately worth a try!

You are right there Travel Agents are crying out for business because of people booking on the internet. As you can see we are in the UK, so I find the price of the flight (inc NZ) which we have done twice take it to the travel agents and they will either match it or better it.

dreamfish Jan 24th 2008 12:23 am

I thought Dial-A-Flight were one of the cheapest around. I got them out yellow pages, but are searchable on google. Between me, bro and a number of friends we have had some very good prices out of them.

urbanproject Jan 24th 2008 3:56 am

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout (Post 5830582)
Avoid flying in December

Good tip :cool: I'd even extend that from December to February, peak time in NZ for summer and start of school year (beginning of Feb) so people tend to come back from overseas that time of year.

Jen :thumbup:

allisonwantstoemigrate Jan 24th 2008 5:57 am

Hi
i've just paid £830 return from brmingham to auckland, changing in dubai

i thought that was a great price, and i booked direct on emirates site (chose my seats and all!) as i flew with them last time and they were fab!

alli x

Vim Fuego Jan 24th 2008 6:04 am

Originally Posted by ned (Post 5830184)

If you're travelling with kids and fancy a bassinet ('travel cot'), avoid booking though FlightCentre unless you want them to screw-up your booking.

malcoltom Jan 24th 2008 6:23 am

Just booked mine for August, a dear time. 2 Aduts i child return to Auckland and a 2 week stopover in Oz, £3,300. Emirates