Tools to chch

Old Feb 23rd 2014, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

Ray3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tools to chch

hi all,

many thanks for the feedback on other threads, we're finally set to post visas off tomorrow. It feels like it has taken ages to get all the paperwork ready and I think its going to feel even longer whilst we wait for the visas to come through.

It's so frustrating not being able to do anything until the visas come back, like sort an apartment, get work for the wifey, flights, hand in notice and so on.

In the mean time, does anyone know how much it may set me back to air freight (or take on as extra baggage) for:

Makita full set (battery powered kit)
Paslode 1st and 2nd guns
dewalt ceiling laser level (case approx. 400mm cubed)

I don't know the weights at the moment but I think it's going to be 50kg at a guess. Anyone else shipped similar stuff over?
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Chippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really nice
Default Re: Tools to chch

I wouldn't try flying with them, there are rules about Lithium batteries on flights and they'll have a fit about the nail guns at the airport, although with no gas cells they'de be hard pushed to cause a problem. I was told one of the people who worked for the company who gave me a job offer FEDEX'd his tools out and it wasn't too bad pricewise and he got them quickly and could start work asap
Old Feb 24th 2014, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

jonesy115 has a reputation beyond reputejonesy115 has a reputation beyond reputejonesy115 has a reputation beyond reputejonesy115 has a reputation beyond reputejonesy115 has a reputation beyond reputejonesy115 has a reputation beyond reputejonesy115 has a reputation beyond reputejonesy115 has a reputation beyond reputejonesy115 has a reputation beyond reputejonesy115 has a reputation beyond reputejonesy115 has a reputation beyond repute

I air freighted 102kg of tools over with PSS in the uk. It cost me £860 door to door.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

alan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to all

I'm in the same boat, just had confirmation of INZ recieving my Visa app and now it's just waiting

I've got 2 makita NI-MH batteries that will go in my hand luggage, the rest of my tool's are being delivered door to door by Anglo Pacific for 244 quid, just short of 50kg worth.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

Ray3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond reputeRay3324 has a reputation beyond repute

cool guys, thanks.

I set aside about £500 so hopefully will be quids in.

So, are you allowed to take the nimh batteries on the flight with you? Also, do the chargers work on 230v or shall I just buy another one out there?

Any of you guys working for Farrell group?
Old Feb 24th 2014, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

alan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to allalan83 is a name known to all

Not sure on the Batteries yet, I've asked quantas on FB but waiting for a reply,
Myself and jonesy have contract's with Canstaff and I believe Jonesy has just started work for farrell group, I don't know who'll I'l be working for until I arrive in May.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Update on batteries, Quantas has confirmed that my NI-MH are ok to go as checked luggage as their non hazardous. That's not to say any other airline will allow this though, so double check with who-ever you fly with.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

jonesy115 has a reputation beyond reputejonesy115 has a reputation beyond reputejonesy115 has a reputation beyond reputejonesy115 has a reputation beyond reputejonesy115 has a reputation beyond reputejonesy115 has a reputation beyond reputejonesy115 has a reputation beyond reputejonesy115 has a reputation beyond reputejonesy115 has a reputation beyond reputejonesy115 has a reputation beyond reputejonesy115 has a reputation beyond repute

You can't take lithium ion on the flights but the others are fine. Just wrap them up individually so the can create a spark if they touch.
You can get travel adapters to fit your charger off amazon for about 10-15 quid for a pair. That's how I do my charging.
I work for farrells over Christmas, they aren't a bad firm to work for plus you can do a shit load of hours for them and make good money. They also have some power tools on site that they provide for you to use.
They employ mainly lads from the uk too so you will have loads of people to hook up with outside work.
Old Feb 25th 2014, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Chippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ray3324
cool guys, thanks.

I set aside about £500 so hopefully will be quids in.

So, are you allowed to take the nimh batteries on the flight with you? Also, do the chargers work on 230v or shall I just buy another one out there?

Any of you guys working for Farrell group?
UK chargers are fine they'll actually work from about 220v upto 250v anyway, just change the plugs or bring a british extention cable and put a NZ plug on that.
Old Feb 25th 2014, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again everyone.

So glad I posted the thread. I have googled nz and chch to death at the mo, just really cool to get a proper answer rather than some wiki crap.

Jonesy, thanks for the Farrell update. was getting a bit sceptical about them as a lot of people have said to stay away from a company with such a high bond. Do you still work for them or have you moved on?
Old Feb 25th 2014, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

I was with them with an agency but they wanted me to stay. I ended up having six weeks off work after I damaged my back, after that they though my back could be a liability and passed on having me back.
I have friends who work for them who are happy there.
I know there are way worse firms to work for out here. I wouldn't worry