British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Took my driving test today.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/took-my-driving-test-today-371211/)

SarahB May 3rd 2006 9:14 am

Took my driving test today....

Been putting it off for ages now but I did it today!! I went to the AA centre and took my NZ driving test. I hate tests of any kind and was a little nervous on the way there. I've been reading the Highway Code for the last week or so.... anyway, I passed and got all the questions right. :D

Andrew Cross May 3rd 2006 9:16 am

Re: Took my driving test today....

Originally Posted by SarahB
Been putting it off for ages now but I did it today!! I went to the AA centre and took my NZ driving test. I hate tests of any kind and was a little nervous on the way there. I've been reading the Highway Code for the last week or so.... anyway, I passed and got all the questions right. :D

Well done Sarah, been thinking about doing mine, but like you hate tests.
Congratulations,you might show these Kiwi's a thing or two about good driving!
Sue :D

Joshlin May 3rd 2006 9:17 am

Hi Sarah - well done you
the idea of doing it is much scarier then actually doing it!
Vicki

SarahB May 3rd 2006 9:24 am

Thanks Sue, If you study the Highway code for a few days and know all the answers to the test questions at the back then youll find it easy... honestly it took me about 3 minutes to complete it.

We were told that you have to take it within 12 months of being here and we arrived in June so thought we better sort it out soon. OH took his the other day and passed.... he got 2 questions wrong and I was determined to beat him so my aim was to get them all right.... hehe...sad I know!

I'm pretty pleased that Ive done it really as it was 20 years ago that I got my license in the UK.... and some of the road rules are different here. Soon after getting here I parked outside somebodys house on a broken yellow line and some guy backed into my car door... nobody had told me it was the same as double yellows.... thanks guys. :rolleyes: .. that peed me off so I had to buy the book to learn the different signs and rules.

SarahB May 3rd 2006 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Joshlin
Hi Sarah - well done you
the idea of doing it is much scarier then actually doing it!
Vicki

Too right!!! I can sleep easy tonight lol.... :)

Andrew Cross May 3rd 2006 9:26 am

Thanks Sue, If you study the Highway code for a few days and know all the answers to the test questions at the back then youll find it easy... honestly it took me about 3 minutes to complete it.

We were told that you have to take it within 12 months of being here and we arrived in June so thought we better sort it out soon. OH took his the other day and passed.... he got 2 questions wrong and I was determined to beat him so my aim was to get them all right.... hehe...sad I know!

I'm pretty pleased that Ive done it really as it was 20 years ago that I got my license in the UK.... and some of the road rules are different here. Soon after getting here I parked outside somebodys house on a broken yellow line and some guy backed into my car door... nobody had told me it was the same as double yellows.... thanks guys. :rolleyes: .. that peed me off so I had to buy the book to learn the different signs and rules.

Yeah, abit like us...we parked outside our house facing the wrong way (bonnet facing oncoming traffic) and got a $40 fine for our trouble...not happy to say the least!!! Wont do it again though..lol :)

SarahB May 3rd 2006 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
Yeah, abit like us...we parked outside our house facing the wrong way (bonnet facing oncoming traffic) and got a $40 fine for our trouble...not happy to say the least!!! Wont do it again though..lol :)

Oh dear....

I'll tell you what peed me off most about the guy backing into my car.... I'd been invited to a coffee morning in Howick by a rather domineering (wont-take-no-for-an-answer-type) lady who I'd met that week. I went and arrived first after parking on the broken yellows. Everyone else arrived after me and not one person bothered to tell me I'd parked on the equivalent of double yellows. If somebody had done that outside my house I'd have whispered in their ear.... hey just to let you know you cant park there..... It wasnt a day to remember anyway as nobody talked to me, I felt awkward and couldnt wait to get back home... it wasnt a situation I felt happy in and shouldnt have let myself be rail-roaded into going....and I got a dent and some scratches on my car!! :(

Nice Guy May 3rd 2006 9:56 am

Took my driving test today....

Hope you have "tested" your new car!

SarahB May 3rd 2006 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
Hope you have "tested" your new car!

:D :D I know what kind of "testing" you mean!! ermmm....actually no!! I'm a bit too old now for all that stuff..... handbrake in the way....feet out the sunroof etc..... keep telling you I'm an old git now. :D :D

Nice Guy May 3rd 2006 10:11 am

:D :D I know what kind of "testing" you mean!! ermmm....actually no!! I'm a bit too old now for all that stuff..... handbrake in the way....feet out the sunroof etc..... keep telling you I'm an old git now. :D :D

Strange...............that's how I thought it got the dents and scratches!

By the way.....despite what a judge may say..........it is possible (if somewhat cramped) in a Mini Cooper!

SarahB May 3rd 2006 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
Strange...............that's how I thought it got the dents and scratches!

By the way.....despite what a judge may say..........it is possible (if somewhat cramped) in a Mini Cooper!

:D :D :D Yeah I know it is!!!! ;) ;)

annaerb May 3rd 2006 7:53 pm

Oh dear....

I'll tell you what peed me off most about the guy backing into my car.... I'd been invited to a coffee morning in Howick by a rather domineering (wont-take-no-for-an-answer-type) lady who I'd met that week. I went and arrived first after parking on the broken yellows. Everyone else arrived after me and not one person bothered to tell me I'd parked on the equivalent of double yellows. If somebody had done that outside my house I'd have whispered in their ear.... hey just to let you know you cant park there..... It wasnt a day to remember anyway as nobody talked to me, I felt awkward and couldnt wait to get back home... it wasnt a situation I felt happy in and shouldnt have let myself be rail-roaded into going....and I got a dent and some scratches on my car!! :(

That's not good Sarah.

Not very nice that nobody told you about the lines, maybe they thought you already knew, but still they could of mentioned it. I've been in those situations too, where no one talks etc or it's all clicky, I try to avoid them now :D
Do they not have any coffee groups around the area Sarah?

CWEMM02 May 3rd 2006 8:11 pm

Oh dear....

.... I'd been invited to a coffee morning in Howick by a rather domineering (wont-take-no-for-an-answer-type) lady who I'd met that week. :(

Has Hyacinth Bucket relocated to NZ?

sarahw May 3rd 2006 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by CWEMM02
Has Hyacinth Bucket relocated to NZ?

No I left my Mum in the UK!!!! ;)

SarahB May 4th 2006 1:25 am

lol....

annaerb, I'm in a lovely coffee group now.... we are all British and meet up and wreck each others houses once in a while (well, the kids do!)....

That was when I first moved the Beachlands and she was a old school type horsey woman and I didnt dare say no... I went against my better judgement.... will listen to my instincts in future. I still say that one of them couldve warned me.... ignorant lot.

Funny my OH sometimes refers to mum as Mrs H B ..... lol