Reload this Page >

Too small a country?

Too small a country?

Old Sep 20th 2008, 5:57 pm
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Too small a country?

What are the experiences with British expats in NZ? Have you had a realistic perception of the country before you moved there? I've heard stories of Britons moving to NZ and they didn't really realise how small the country is. Small populationwise, in fact NZ is a bigger country than the UK, which makes it for some people a very daunting place as the population-density is so low.

Many people want to move to NZ because of the peace and quiet but there are some people who find that it is too quiet and too peaceful.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all
Default Re: Too small a country?

Originally Posted by THR
What are the experiences with British expats in NZ? Have you had a realistic perception of the country before you moved there? I've heard stories of Britons moving to NZ and they didn't really realise how small the country is. Small populationwise, in fact NZ is a bigger country than the UK, which makes it for some people a very daunting place as the population-density is so low.

Many people want to move to NZ because of the peace and quiet but there are some people who find that it is too quiet and too peaceful.
Luxembourg would be more exciting by far.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

I had quite a shock when I first came to NZ. I had somehow expected it to be a richer country than it is. Maybe I was expecting it to be like Switzerland with lots of well-built wooden houses. Also, I'd heard that the driving was great as the roads were empty, but instead I found that the roads are so busy and dangerous for the size of the country. The first day I arrived in Auckland I'd rushed around looking for its exciting centre which I never found.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

[ Small populationwise, in fact NZ is a bigger country than the UK, which makes it for some people a very daunting place as the population-density is so low.

Exactly the reason I wanted our family to come here. IMO life in the UK had become too stressful, chaotic and crowded..everything was aggro......sooooooo many people!!!

I am quite old fashioned and technologically backward, I am a non-conformist and I hate crowds...enter NZ.

NZ has loads of problems just like all nations..for me its low density pop.is one of its big saving graces.

Empty beaches, empty roads.........bliss!!!

Of course low pop.has its down side..poor choice..poor shops..etc, etc.

However I did not come to NZ to shop...or for the good weather..so I am stoked as they say.

NZ has delivered EVERYTHING we thought it would and way more.

Of course my kids will be bored stiff post education and they will bugger off!!

Another downside but atleast they will have had IMO a better childhood than had we stayed in Northampton.

NZ really rocks for those who do 'quiet'.

Last edited by Genesis; Sep 20th 2008 at 8:23 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitesand
I had quite a shock when I first came to NZ. I had somehow expected it to be a richer country than it is. Maybe I was expecting it to be like Switzerland with lots of well-built wooden houses. Also, I'd heard that the driving was great as the roads were empty, but instead I found that the roads are so busy and dangerous for the size of the country. The first day I arrived in Auckland I'd rushed around looking for its exciting centre which I never found.
Alas I hear in Jafaland the roads are gridlock..in the Manawatu the roads are totally empty..in 3.5 years been in 4 jams..the longest was 20 mins!!!

Any..and I mean ANY european country would be waaaaaaaaay more exciting than NZ.

NZ is very beautiful and has some great extreme sports but thats just about it........not much else after that especially in the Manawatu..but I did not come to NZ for excitement or culture.

I came here for a quieter, more relaxed way of life. And I got it.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 9:42 pm
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Whitesand,

Auckland IMO would not be a good example of NZ at all, if you venture to the SI, there are only 1million population, and we drove from Dunedin to Te Anau and Milford sound and only passed about 50 cars, sometimes going for miles without passing a sole, i feel for those who in up in Auckland as IMO it has to much traffic and to many Asians, when we did a Grabaseat trip there, and after living in Dunedin for 3 years we were shocked at the fumes and traffic and i though i was in China town, why would you want to move 12k miles to live in a choked up city, each to their own i suppose.

And dont forget 33k Kiwis left NZ for OZ , so i recon soon the populaton wil get smaller as the brain drain continues.

I think the thing that realy shocks me about nZ is the level of poverty, and the state of the houses people live in, not always by choice but in general.we came out to NZ blind, did as much research as you can, but if you have good jobs and lifestyle in UK then i personaly would look very carefully into changing all that for NZ, unless you realy have had enough of UK scene.

The price of things are high because of lack of competition, not many shops to compete against, so they can ask what they like. And where NZ is on the globe, thats one thing that you dont realy think of when you are mixed up in all the glory and dreams of moving country, once here a trip back to see folks in UK for us 3 is $8.5k a lot on Kiwi wages, unless you are one of the privilaged few who earn awesome $$ then trips to OZ Fiji and the likes are a dream away.

I see a lot of Brits make it here, only to struggle, why struggle just to be in another country ?? yes the place is beautiul around every corner, but does that make for a better life. but saying that if you have children and can avoid the likes of Auckland, then kids will flourish in NZ and stay kids for longer.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Genesis
[ Small populationwise, in fact NZ is a bigger country than the UK, which makes it for some people a very daunting place as the population-density is so low.

Exactly the reason I wanted our family to come here. IMO life in the UK had become too stressful, chaotic and crowded..everything was aggro......sooooooo many people!!!

I am quite old fashioned and technologically backward, I am a non-conformist and I hate crowds...enter NZ.

NZ has loads of problems just like all nations..for me its low density pop.is one of its big saving graces.

Empty beaches, empty roads.........bliss!!!

Of course low pop.has its down side..poor choice..poor shops..etc, etc.

However I did not come to NZ to shop...or for the good weather..so I am stoked as they say.

NZ has delivered EVERYTHING we thought it would and way more.

Of course my kids will be bored stiff post education and they will bugger off!!

Another downside but atleast they will have had IMO a better childhood than had we stayed in Northampton.

NZ really rocks for those who do 'quiet'.
Beware of this post potential expats,Genesis is from a lil ole town called Palmerston North. It will have empty roads as no one stays they merely pass through. John Cleese the very famous English comedian called this hellhole the suicide capital of N.Z. If you bring kids to this place in particular the chances they will stay are zero,they will simply up and leave when they are older leaving you and the missus on your lonesome. Some people on here insist on painting a very false picture of life in N.Z. just the way these emigration groups do sad really.......
Old Sep 20th 2008, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fooferfish
Hey Whitesand,

Auckland IMO would not be a good example of NZ at all, if you venture to the SI, there are only 1million population, and we drove from Dunedin to Te Anau and Milford sound and only passed about 50 cars, sometimes going for miles without passing a sole, i feel for those who in up in Auckland as IMO it has to much traffic and to many Asians, when we did a Grabaseat trip there, and after living in Dunedin for 3 years we were shocked at the fumes and traffic and i though i was in China town, why would you want to move 12k miles to live in a choked up city, each to their own i suppose.

And dont forget 33k Kiwis left NZ for OZ , so i recon soon the populaton wil get smaller as the brain drain continues.

I think the thing that realy shocks me about nZ is the level of poverty, and the state of the houses people live in, not always by choice but in general.we came out to NZ blind, did as much research as you can, but if you have good jobs and lifestyle in UK then i personaly would look very carefully into changing all that for NZ, unless you realy have had enough of UK scene.

The price of things are high because of lack of competition, not many shops to compete against, so they can ask what they like. And where NZ is on the globe, thats one thing that you dont realy think of when you are mixed up in all the glory and dreams of moving country, once here a trip back to see folks in UK for us 3 is $8.5k a lot on Kiwi wages, unless you are one of the privilaged few who earn awesome $$ then trips to OZ Fiji and the likes are a dream away.

I see a lot of Brits make it here, only to struggle, why struggle just to be in another country ?? yes the place is beautiul around every corner, but does that make for a better life. but saying that if you have children and can avoid the likes of Auckland, then kids will flourish in NZ and stay kids for longer.
You will be challenged on your figures by the way,33k Kiwis leaving for Oz. I agree with you but no one resident in N.Z. wants to believe this for some uncanny reason. FACTS ARE FACTS get over it. Unless you are on a good wicket in N.Z. earning heaps people are gonna find it even harder there in the next two years. Anyone leaving a good paid job for "the dream" will walk into a nightmare.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Patrick2007
Beware of this post potential expats,Genesis is from a lil ole town called Palmerston North. It will have empty roads as no one stays they merely pass through. John Cleese the very famous English comedian called this hellhole the suicide capital of N.Z. If you bring kids to this place in particular the chances they will stay are zero,they will simply up and leave when they are older leaving you and the missus on your lonesome. Some people on here insist on painting a very false picture of life in N.Z. just the way these emigration groups do sad really.......
I think I mentioned that my kids WILL get bored eventually..most people do of anywhere. I also mentioned in my post you replied to that NZ is full of problems....where is that giving a false picture?

How long did you spend in Palmy to give it your handle of a 'Hellhole'..was it over and above the 12 hours Mr Cleese spent here?

You really do seem quite angry at the thoought of someone enjoying life here don't you?

I am often suggesting that people coming to NZ think of Oz first....thats REALLY giving a false impression isn't it? I often go on and have listed the plethora of problems here in NZ..but that's giving a false impression again isn't it?? You ask any posters on here with any sense and they will always say (apart from you of course) that my posts are 'balanced' unlike your calling somewhere a 'hellhole' when you know virually nought about living here.

Think before you post such uninformed rubbish as above aye?

Night, night.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think I mentioned that my kids WILL get bored eventually..most people do of anywhere. I also mentioned in my post you replied to that NZ is full of problems....where is that giving a false picture?

How long did you spend in Palmy to give it your handle of a 'Hellhole'..was it over and above the 12 hours Mr Cleese spent here?

You really do seem quite angry at the thoought of someone enjoying life here don't you?

I am often suggesting that people coming to NZ think of Oz first....thats REALLY giving a false impression isn't it? I often go on and have listed the plethora of problems here in NZ..but that's giving a false impression again isn't it?? You ask any posters on here with any sense and they will always say (apart from you of course) that my posts are 'balanced' unlike your calling somewhere a 'hellhole' when you know virually nought about living here.

Think before you post such uninformed rubbish as above aye?

Night, night.
Mr.Cleese was right in his estimation and i wouldnt visit "Palmy" in my wildest dreams. I actually have no qualms if people wish to settle in N.Z. good on them if like you they embrace the lifestyle. I see u have caught up with the lingo finishing your post with aye.aye night night aye
Old Sep 20th 2008, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mr.Cleese was right in his estimation and i wouldnt visit "Palmy" in my wildest dreams. I actually have no qualms if people wish to settle in N.Z. good on them if like you they embrace the lifestyle. I see u have caught up with the lingo finishing your post with aye.aye night night aye

CALM DOWN, CALM DOWN, CALM DOWN!

If you just want to throw insults why don't you go elsewhere? This is a site for adults.

You did not answer the question. How do you know so much about palmy to brand it a Hellhole? You have not even been here!!!

You are just the type of poster that no one should pay any attention to as you make stuff up as you go along without any real info...like making assumptions about Palmerston North without even having set foot in the place..you funny person. Me and 75000 other people here are not daily throwing ourselves off tall buildings.

How is life in sunny Liverpool? Cheer up mate. Have a drink..get out more.

And be lucky aye Patty boy AYE AYE AYE? Nice turn of phrase innit?

Just off for a dip in my heated pool...hellhole but someone has to do it.

Will take in the view of the mountains while I swim..then go for a walk in the bush that is my back garden...will someone give me a gun I can stand no more!!!!

Laters.

Last edited by Genesis; Sep 20th 2008 at 10:43 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 10:43 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Patrick, I will say it again why do you want to come back to NZ if you hate it that much lost me?

And for Exiting England yes i miss that my kids could get attacked or Pissed up and lying in the roads at 3am in the morning...and going to the parks full of gangs of yobs boozing and smashing bottles.

its so exiting where I lived in Daventry near Northampton, seeing the shop windows smashed up by yobs and gangs of youths hanging around outside Tescos asking adults to buy them some drink...yeah love it I do miss that I worried everytime my kids went to the corner shop...and full of leering immigrants...I could go on but your bound to say something back to me.

I like New Zealand because of the quiet and less people...there is things to do the teenagers are much nicer here when I was going for a walk I saw a crowd of teenagers from the high school and when I went passed asked me how i was, i was surprised at that as usually they would laugh or give you a disgusting look in the UK. enough said.

My kids will stay kids longer unlike some of my friends kids of 14 already with a serious boyfriend, yes I would have loved it if my daughter got pregnant so she could get a house how exiting that would have been
Old Sep 20th 2008, 10:47 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

CALM DOWN, CALM DOWN, CALM DOWN!

If you just want to throw insults why don't you go elsewhere? This is a site for adults.

You did not answer the question. How do you know so much about palmy to brand it a Hellhole? You have not even been here!!!

You are just the type of poster that no one should pay any attention to as you make stuff up as you go along without any real info...like making assumptions about Palmerston North without even having set foot in the place..you funny person. Me and 75000 other people here are not daily throwing ourselves off tall buildings.

How is life in sunny Liverpool? Cheer up mate. Have a drink..get out more.

And be lucky aye Patty boy AYE AYE AYE? Nice turn of phrase innit?

Just off for a dip in my heated pool...hellhole but someone has to do it.

Will take in the view of the mountains while I swim..then go for a walk in the bush that is my back garden...will someone give me a gun I can stand no more!!!!

Laters.
WELL SAID, me too think I might go and sit on my boring deck and acre garden and sip some wine and take in the great view them maybe go and have a soak in my hot tub...life is so hard here
Old Sep 20th 2008, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by love30stm
WELL SAID, me too think I might go and sit on my boring deck and acre garden and sip some wine and take in the great view them maybe go and have a soak in my hot tub...life is so hard here
It is isn't it? I long for all the violence and youth problems of inner Northampton. The crowded roads, the pub fights, the prostitutes on my street, burglaries etc..salad days what?? Why oh why did I think of ever coming to NZ????

Some one save me!!!

Still ol' Patrick gives us a laugh doesn't he????

Aye?
Old Sep 20th 2008, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Well the sun is shining, I've got my shorts on () and even here in choked up, gridlocked, Asian swollen (WHAT IS THE RACISM FOR???!!!) JAFAland. I realise why I wanted to live here, I'm gonna tear myself away from BE drive 1/2 hr and walk down a quiet beach and have a picnic. A bit different from Burnley to Blackpool!!!!!

Too small?, well I travelled here twice before living here and yes some towns would be too quiet for me. Each to their own, here in JAFAland I have everything I need, at any time. And when I want to escape, short drive and God's own really shines

Last edited by owen; Sep 20th 2008 at 11:01 pm. Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.