Too fat for NZ?

Old Jun 4th 2006, 12:06 am
Just Joined

deni_zen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Too fat for NZ?

Hi all

Needing a bit of advise and support ... My husband has a job offer in NZ and we hope to go in Sept 06 but..... it looks unlikely that I will pass the medical for PR due to a high BMI. I am sure that given some time I could lose some weight - but has anyone else experienced this? What did you do? How do medical waivers work? Should we go on a work visa and then apply for PR later?

Any advice appreciated.

Deni
Old Jun 4th 2006, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Too fat for NZ?

Originally Posted by deni_zen
Hi all

Needing a bit of advise and support ... My husband has a job offer in NZ and we hope to go in Sept 06 but..... it looks unlikely that I will pass the medical for PR due to a high BMI. I am sure that given some time I could lose some weight - but has anyone else experienced this? What did you do? How do medical waivers work? Should we go on a work visa and then apply for PR later?

Any advice appreciated.

Deni

Don't worry too much. If you have a raised BMI, you will be asked to take a Glucose Tolerance Test {GTT}, to determine if you have diabetes or are at risk of developing it. People with both diabetes and a raised BMI, still get visas for NZ.

What may be a good incentive for you is to join one of the weight loss support groups such as Weight Watcher, Rosemary Connolly or Slimming world, so that you can demonstrate a committment to loosing weight. Don't think you can loose it in a week either, it's a slow process {I'm back at weight watchers YET AGAIN !!!}

However DON'T stress too much about it, I'm sure you'll be fine and the most you will have to provide is additional information about your current health status. Sending letters to the medical consultant however does slow down the whole process.

Do a search on here with regard to medicals and I'm sure you will find similar advice. Having been through the medical process twice, with minor medical conditions and the fact I wasn't the most sylph like creature {!}, I know the anxiety it will be causing you, however I know of at least 4 people with a raised BMI who have gained PR.

I'm sorry I can't give advice re which visa to apply for, others may know better.

Cheers
Gill
Old Jun 4th 2006, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

deni_zen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Too fat for NZ?

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
Don't worry too much. If you have a raised BMI, you will be asked to take a Glucose Tolerance Test {GTT}, to determine if you have diabetes or are at risk of developing it. People with both diabetes and a raised BMI, still get visas for NZ.

What may be a good incentive for you is to join one of the weight loss support groups such as Weight Watcher, Rosemary Connolly or Slimming world, so that you can demonstrate a committment to loosing weight. Don't think you can loose it in a week either, it's a slow process {I'm back at weight watchers YET AGAIN !!!}

However DON'T stress too much about it, I'm sure you'll be fine and the most you will have to provide is additional information about your current health status. Sending letters to the medical consultant however does slow down the whole process.

Do a search on here with regard to medicals and I'm sure you will find similar advice. Having been through the medical process twice, with minor medical conditions and the fact I wasn't the most sylph like creature {!}, I know the anxiety it will be causing you, however I know of at least 4 people with a raised BMI who have gained PR.

I'm sorry I can't give advice re which visa to apply for, others may know better.

Cheers
Gill
Hi Gill

Thanks for getting back to me - it really is a lottery isn't it? Some people have real difficulty and others get through after the torment of medicals...thanks for your encouragement tho it does help! I have postponed the panel doctor for a bit(didn't fancy shelling out £750 for all four of us to get medicals and for me to fail) and I have been to my own doctor who has identified the need for more tests - I have a raised glucose level, high blood pressure and high-ish cholesterol - all of which can hopefully be controlled by diet and weight loss. As we need to be in NZ by Oct for Ferg's job I am thinking it may give us some time to get me fitter if we go for a work visa in the first instance.... and apply for PR when I'm less likely to fail on the medical.

I'm getting on a local healthy life scheme which is about exercise and fitness so hopefully this will demonstrate my good intentions!! My other plan is to grow another head and say I 'm conjoined twins!

blimey what a carry-on... hopefully we will get there in the end!

Deni