British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Too fat to emmigrate? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/too-fat-emmigrate-500713/)

saritabear Dec 19th 2007 6:04 pm

Too fat to emmigrate?

:ohmy:Emmigrate now have just sent me (and lots of other people I expect) an email saying that some people are being turned down at the ITA stage cos it says on their medical that their BMI is too high and that they'll need to go on a crash diet and have the medical redone. Has anyone experienced this? Will I as a healthy but chubbyish size 14 be turned down? Or is it scaremongery time?

sarah:ohmy:

P2L Dec 19th 2007 6:07 pm

Re: Too fat to emmigrate?

Originally Posted by saritabear (Post 5685777)
:ohmy:Emmigrate now have just sent me (and lots of other people I expect) an email saying that some people are being turned down at the ITA stage cos it says on their medical that their BMI is too high and that they'll need to go on a crash diet and have the medical redone. Has anyone experienced this? Will I as a healthy but chubbyish size 14 be turned down? Or is it scaremongery time?

No need to panic Sarah, you sound well within the boundaries of an average immigrant.

If you look on NZIS is shows you what is classed as acceptable as far as your BMI is concerned, can't remember off hand whether it is 30 or 35

Hope that helps :cool:

saritabear Dec 19th 2007 7:12 pm

:D Cool. Will leave the crash diet for new year then!
sarah

ned Dec 19th 2007 9:04 pm

If your worried by it you could adopt a healthy new lifestyle for your healthy new life.
Evidence of this WILL help your application and the lifestyle change WILL help your health.
It can't do any harm can it :confused:

mcuddy1 Dec 21st 2007 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Fredddy (Post 5691229)
Amazing. I wonder if this will apply ...... <snipped> If you want to immigrate I'd choose Aus. At least the Aussies have a national pride and some back bone.

OUCH!!!!!

Maz Dec 21st 2007 8:51 am

Amazing.<snipped> If you want to immigrate I'd choose Aus. At least the Aussies have a national pride and some back bone.

Post duly reported...

Ian & Sharon Dec 21st 2007 9:20 am

Amazing. I wonder if this will apply........<snipped out> If you want to immigrate I'd choose Aus. At least the Aussies have a national pride and some back bone.

Post duly true, FFS have a wander round Akld.

Maz, you do post some sense but as for weight issues.........well go for a walk ;)

Maz Dec 21st 2007 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon (Post 5691692)
Maz, you do post some sense but as for weight issues.........well go for a walk ;)

You seen the other crap that twat has posted?...

Avid Dec 21st 2007 10:01 am

Originally Posted by saritabear (Post 5685777)

You should have a BMI under 35 to get in.

That's not too unreasonable, to be honest....and if you can show that you have made an effort to lose weight you should be ok.

(You have to understand the 'official line' and the 'reality'...immigration can't say "We want any chubby white person", they have to pretend to be fair and issue directives about weight...if the worst comes to the worst, you'll have to find an 'understanding' doctor)

Avid Dec 21st 2007 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon (Post 5691692)
Post duly true, FFS have a wander round Akld.

Immigrants complaining about other immigrants........amazing.

Sue Dec 21st 2007 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 5691635)
Post duly reported...

A few of you have reported his posts, so thank you to you all. The member had had his posting privileges removed as per rule 4.

Sue

saritabear Dec 22nd 2007 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Avid (Post 5691800)
You should have a BMI under 35 to get in.

That's not too unreasonable, to be honest....and if you can show that you have made an effort to lose weight you should be ok.

(You have to understand the 'official line' and the 'reality'...immigration can't say "We want any chubby white person", they have to pretend to be fair and issue directives about weight...if the worst comes to the worst, you'll have to find an 'understanding' doctor)

Well....I'm well under that. Think I've a BMI of 25 at last check....may go up over christmas due to over consumption of mince pies etc but am defo not obese. Think some posters seem to think I might be a 30 stone heifer!!!! It was just the tone of the email I got that made me start the thread. Thanks for all your concern! I will be ok!