Tonga

Old Aug 12th 2009, 10:43 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tonga

We're just back from 10 days in Tonga, and it was brilliant.
Not holiday resort, but amazing friendly people. We loved it

http://ourweefarm.blogspot.com/2009/08/tonga.html

for piccys and rabbiting on!
Old Aug 13th 2009, 12:18 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Tonga

Thanks for sharing Pixi.

I am actually very, very interested in this indeedy. We have been to Tonga before back in '97 when we also visited Samoa and Fiji etc., but watching Whales wasn't around then.

I was very keen to go this year specifically to see Whales. This month in fact, but as it was, events for me at the beginning of this year overtook us & now husband is to also return to the UK shortly, although he may see Wales for a few days.

Would you recommend the Hideway to see Whales both onshore and offshore, or having done that ,would you choose somewhere else do you think. I haven't given up on Tonga Whale watching at all, and have it firmly in my sights for next August , all being well.

Did you see parrots?
Old Aug 13th 2009, 3:29 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

we did see parrots, not still enough to get any photographs though
Bevs from the whale watching platform at the hideaway you can see the spouts of the whales at this time of year pretty much all the time. We only once saw one close enough that you could see the whale well.
The Whale watching boat thingy was excellent though - tiny boat. We got very, very close and it was so cool.

I would recommend the Hideaway on Eua ( Norah has also stayed there) so long as you go prepared for very basic rooms - all you really need is the bed as you're really busy! The staff are brilliant, really friendly. They will organise stuff for you for just the following day - we wanted to go on the 4 wheel drive but their truck was broken ( it was totally ancient!) so they borrowed one so we could all go - nothing was a bother for them.
I know a lot of people go to Haapai (sp) to whale watch too.

We loved it so much we're going to go back again next year.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 4:52 am
`

I thought I remembered Batty saying she had been in Tonga for the Whales.
Basic would be fine with us. It is what we prefer really. Us being scruffy sort of people for the most part.

Ooo. I'm wanting to go NOW. It sounds so good.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 7:45 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I thought I remembered Batty saying she had been in Tonga for the Whales.
Basic would be fine with us. It is what we prefer really. Us being scruffy sort of people for the most part.

Ooo. I'm wanting to go NOW. It sounds so good.
We just missed them Bevs - we left on the Wednesday and they started arriving on the Sunday evening but not in any great numbers and too far out to see - it was my only disappointment of the trip.

Originally Posted by BEVS
Us being scruffy sort of people for the most part.
It's definitely not for pretentious people

I'm so glad (and relieved ) you liked it Laura - I knew you would tho
Old Aug 13th 2009, 11:19 am
`

Eerrghh. Doing me head in now.

Pictures purlease. and lots of.

What part of august do you think is good then.

Can you tell I am dead keen.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 9:04 pm
A land far far away

where we stayed on Tongatapu

Hideaway on Eua

Bevs, we got there on the 4th ( I think) and the day before was the first day they'd taken the boat out. Once they're there they stay for ages, so maybe to be on the safe side mid August?
do you want more whales?
they were quite hard to get!!

Last edited by pixi-dust; Aug 13th 2009 at 9:11 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 9:28 pm
A land far far away

these were all taken from the boat
Old Aug 14th 2009, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

dorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to all

Hi Pixi-dust, just tried opening your blogspot and kaspersky tells me there is a virus trying to upload - don't know if you have had previous probs
Old Aug 14th 2009, 9:02 am
A land far far away

oh that's not good - I use a mac so don't seem to have virus problems, I'm trying to open it now and it's taking forever. I'll go and check with blogspot to see if they're having issues, thanks for telling me.

yes just checked with blogspot - it would seem that today "as a result of what appears to be an ongoing distributed denial of service attack aimed at multiple services across the web." whatever that means! they're fixing it!

Last edited by pixi-dust; Aug 14th 2009 at 9:07 am.
Old Aug 15th 2009, 7:49 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
oh that's not good - I use a mac so don't seem to have virus problems, I'm trying to open it now and it's taking forever. I'll go and check with blogspot to see if they're having issues, thanks for telling me.

yes just checked with blogspot - it would seem that today "as a result of what appears to be an ongoing distributed denial of service attack aimed at multiple services across the web." whatever that means! they're fixing it!
This is some really weird crap! It seems to be something to do with a Georgian blogger who's anti-Russian and they're trying to shut him up! Honestly! I read a really interesting story about it last week - experts said that the hackers definitely had the backing of the Russian Government

Here's a couple of links

Bit slow to load but more informative

http://www.keralanext.com/news/2009/...article163.asp

http://www.sophos.com/blogs/gc/g/200...ssian-blogger/
Old Aug 15th 2009, 12:05 pm
A land far far away

wow!
Well I asked a few friends who have pcs to try today and they all said it was fine, so fingers crossed no one got a virus.