Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Toilet/shower water pumps..........

Toilet/shower water pumps..........

Old Mar 9th 2012, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

zaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to behold
Default Toilet/shower water pumps..........

Hi all,

We have a downstairs room that has a shower and toilet in it, and the water is pumper by a Sani-Flo pump - has anyone heard of it? We bought the house last year and notice that it hasnt been serviced since 2002, and then had to switch it off (and making the room unuseable) as the pump was making a noise.

Apparently when i searched on the net and called the company that dealt with them previously , they said that they have one contact for these pumps.

Without any details he mentioned $400-500

There must be a cheaper way of servicing it? Any (relevant) ideas at all folks?

cheers
Old Mar 10th 2012, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toilet/shower water pumps..........

Sani flow are not just a pump, the units have other elements in them as well, a bit like a sink waste disposal. they are not going to be a cheap fix
Old Mar 11th 2012, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

sparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, sani-flo make one he'll of a racket, cause as justcol states, they are like a garbage disposal unit. Don't worry about it, but don't flush any bum roll down it. Best to just use it for the liquid side of things, if you get my drift.
Even a new one will make a helluva noise...
Old Mar 11th 2012, 7:00 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

my parents, UK and in laws, France have sani flow toilets and they do make a lot of grinding noises as they are basically grinding up whatever you put down it. You can get toilet paper that is usable in them there but not sure about here. You must be able to or they wouldn't fit them I guess but you never know. You aren't meant to put anything other than human waste and toilet paper as they do easily get clogged up.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 7:25 pm
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

The Sani flow (like all similar pumps) have a set of blades that spin cutting up what ever it is you have put into it and then a tough pump that has a less than fine tolerance impeller. Older pumps will cavitate. This in itself isn't a problem so long as the blades are doing their thing. That could be what you are hearing.

Servicing, like everything mechanical, is important. When you understand the amount of work necessary to dismantle, clean, test and re-assemble these pumps I think you'll find $400 a reasonable fee.

(and if you rang me I'd say I'm too busy - sani flow -servicing - NO)!!!
Old Mar 15th 2012, 10:44 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty sure the Sani-Flo macerating units are renown for being a bit noisey.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

zaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to behold

yep - its noisy but b4 we switched it off it was poarticulary noisy. I wish I could see how you open it up so i could have a look . Its been switched off for a good while now - we just dont have the money to fix/service it at the moment so we've been using the other bathroom for the time being......
Old Mar 15th 2012, 7:32 pm
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zaras dad
yep - its noisy but b4 we switched it off it was poarticulary noisy. I wish I could see how you open it up so i could have a look . Its been switched off for a good while now - we just dont have the money to fix/service it at the moment so we've been using the other bathroom for the time being......
Zaras dad, I'm not wishing to be rude here but this is why non technical people must not be allowed to do diy! DO NOT repeat, DO NOT OPEN the macerator - unless that is you want your toilet/bathroom to be cover in a lovely brown, noxious substance we in the trade call 'SHIT'.

If someone has installed a macerator it will be for one of two reasons, distance of flow or height of head. Either way there will be a lot of SHIT sitting in a pipe and it could well be under weight pressure if it's under head pressure. Open it up and you'll find it will come out - AT SPEED.

You think you can handle it, go ahead, (but let me know and I'll lend you a video camera - I see a grand coming my way with the footage on you've been framed - and I don't want to be there in person to film)!

Honestly Zara's dad, don't. This will be one of those things that can go so wrong and in so many ways. But hey, it's your health, your bathroom and I'm experienced - why listen to me?