Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Todays London Expo

Todays London Expo

Old Apr 5th 2008, 5:19 pm
Bouncer For Mothercare

wimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Todays London Expo

Anyone else go along was a little dissapointed to be honest as there were very few employers there only services like Banks and Movers. However I did get to have a good chat with NZ Immigration who basically concurred with most of the advice I have received from posters on here. Opened a bank account too.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Todays London Expo

I'll be more blunt, I thought they miss sold the whole event with many many people expecting offers to be made there and then. The only really recruiters were for teaching and nursing but still limited.

The seminars had to constantly battle the noise of the exhibition area as it was in essence sharing the same space with nothing to blot the noise coming over the dividers.

Strangely glad that I went, as I would not have known for sure otherwise, but would not recommend it to others if they expect job offers to be made.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

mallard has a brilliant futuremallard has a brilliant futuremallard has a brilliant futuremallard has a brilliant futuremallard has a brilliant futuremallard has a brilliant futuremallard has a brilliant future

We are going tomorrow and wondering now if we should bother! We are not looking to be offered jobs however, although my brother in law was hoping to get a feel for the IT job market and me and hubby were looking for good advice on financial matters, ie pensions, banking etc also schooling and housing. Are we better off just posting our questions on here?
As they are bi annual and we plan to be out there before the next one, thought it would be helpful. Has anyone been today who enjoyed it?

Loving this site though, so much honest information.

kind regards
Mallard
Old Apr 5th 2008, 8:26 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm going tomorrow . Sounds like it should be OK for me though as I'm more interested in bank accounts, removal companies and the more practical/financial aspects of immigration.
I wasn't expecting there to be anyone from my profession ready to offer me a job so was really only going for the above.
Also want to have another chat to NZIS, I have a long list of questions.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

We went and got there before 10, however from about 10:30 until 12:45 the queues at immigration were 4 deep along the whole stand, be warned.

There are no IT companies there, there is the odd recruitment company. Hudson only had one person on the stand and it appeared to take people in excess of 45mins to reach the stand where they were asked to fill out a form and email the company if applicable. Then there were a couple for the South Island.

Looked at the show guide and here's the applicable people who were there:

Removal companies were: PSS, Pickfords and Anglo Pacific.

Banking was: ASB Bank and Bank of New Zealand

Other Financial were: HiFX, Moneycorp, Move My Pension and Pension Transfers

My personal advice would be, if you live in London then nothing much to lose, but if you are traveling a reasonable distance by train with kids etc., then frankly I don't think there's anything you couldn't get off here.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 9:49 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

We went and got there before 10, however from about 10:30 until 12:45 the queues at immigration were 4 deep along the whole stand, be warned.

Ticket bought so I'm going, will try and get there before the queues if that's possible. I live in Croydon so it's easy to get there. I can always go into NZ House during the week if necessary but I don't get that much time off work to do that so was hoping I could ask my questions tomorrow. Besides wanting info on banks etc. I wasn't going to look for work as I would be very surprised to find anyone of any use to me there! My profession is mainly made up of small businesses

I've got nothing better to do tomorrow anyway, if there's not much to do or the queues are too long then I can always spend the day in London spending money!

Thanks for the advice, will be up early tomorrow to try and get to the front of the queue

Sue
Old Apr 6th 2008, 1:59 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Robbo25
So, it seems a lot of British are keen to have a go at living and working overseas.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 6:29 am
Just Joined

mallard has a brilliant futuremallard has a brilliant futuremallard has a brilliant futuremallard has a brilliant futuremallard has a brilliant futuremallard has a brilliant futuremallard has a brilliant future

Thanks for the advice Robbo. Think we will still brave the snow as we have bought tickets, but will probably advise Sister and Brother in law to stay at home as they were hoping more for job info!
It will cost them about £60 to go (train fares and entry at the door).

Kind regards
Mallard
Old Apr 6th 2008, 11:11 am
Just Joined

catt is a jewel in the roughcatt is a jewel in the roughcatt is a jewel in the roughcatt is a jewel in the roughcatt is a jewel in the rough

We went yesterday there were about 20 exhibitors stands and it looked as if some hadnt turned up. Not that impressed on the wait times which we gave up on for some of the stands.

The seminar for emmigrating was abismal in that the speaker spoke for 45 minutes in monotone and yes it was hard to hear. He certainly did not enthuse me to actually emmigrate to NZ. The only interesting part was when he took questions from the floor as he left out some major basic information which the questioners asked fortunately.

Keep watching the postings on the forums you get a lot more out of them is my advice.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 3:06 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Just got back from the expo. Must admit it was smaller than I imagined. I think I was imagining something the size of the beer festival they have at Olympia each year, that's the only time I've been there before

From the sound of it there were fewer people today. I went to immigration twice and got to speak to someone very quickly both times.

I would say that it would probably not be worth anyone making a big trip to go there; as I was only in Croydon then fairly easy for me. I thought the immigration seminar was probably only of use if you were just thinking about going and wanted a general overview of the application system to start you off. Anyone already applying should really have known all that they were saying! Must have been the same bloke that Catt had, spoke quietly in a monotone and had to fight to be heard above the sound of the rest of the place.

Got some info on removal companies and how to transfer money though so that was useful Also liked the cute little Kiwi stamped on my hand!

Sue

Last edited by Persephone; Apr 6th 2008 at 3:18 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

jjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud of

Hi,

We went up to London yesterday from Devon, and found the whole show very imformative, really helpfull chat with imigrations, and found an employer after refrigeration engineers, meeting up when we're in nz, pretty much offered a job.

Went to Timaru stand,but i've been talking to a company from there so good that they knew the same person, more information. Generally we found everybody helpfull, put some fears to rest about the dog. Good talking to expats who work out there, been told take a couple of new mobile phones, v-expensive in nz. Would definately recommend going.

j.j.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 3:48 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz
So, it seems a lot of British are keen to have a go at living and working overseas.
A lot talk about it - but only a small percentage of those take the plunge and give it a go!
Old Apr 7th 2008, 4:33 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by happynz
Yeah, they have all run out of things to moan about in the UK and need a new target